8 replies to this topic

#1 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 09:47 PM

Okay guys, I thought something needed to go here, and I have to say that my all time favorite book about celiac disease is Danna Korn's book "Wheat Free, Worry Free".

What is the best book about Celiac Disease/Gluten Intolerance that you have read??
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Alison

Alison

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 11:06 AM

The book "Dangerous Grains" by James Braly M.D. and Ron Hoggan M.A. is EXCELLENT!
Alison
- Diagnosed celiac 2002
- Husband is gluten sensitive
- Daughters are gluten-free and one daughter has severe food allergies

#3 Guest_Disturbed_*

Guest_Disturbed_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2004 - 04:49 AM

Ummm......I would have to agree with you, Wheat-Free Worry-Free was pretty good.

#4 kejohe

kejohe

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 02:43 PM

There is a new book comming out this spring called "A personal touch on Celiac Disease", a few of us on this message board have put stories and recipes in it so you should look for it when it comes out!
Kathleen
Son has been gluten-free since December 2001

#5 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 02:54 PM

I LOVE :wub: Bette Hagaman's Cookbooks, they have such great information in the front of them, along with GREAT recipes!! My favorite is her The Gluten Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy. I use it alot. There is a great recipe in there for enchilada sauce!!

She has a new book comming out this month that deals with cooking comefort foods. I can't wait to get it!!

Ok...that's my 2cents!!
-Jessica :P
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#6 sweetneet

sweetneet

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 08:38 AM

the best (ok, the only one, but it's extremely good) book i ever read on wheat intolerance/wheat allergy is "Against the Grain," by Jax Peters Lowell. I've probably read through the entire thing 4 or 5 times, and it is great!! Not only does it have tons of information, tips, & recipes, ...it is HILARIOUS! Reading it makes me feel like maybe i'm not the biggest weirdo for having to dissect my food in front of everyone at a dinner party. :) I swear, any celiac/wheat intolerant person who reads this will finally be able to laugh out loud at all the funny/eccentric things (i.e. eating caviar w/ a spoon, bringing your own rice pasta to Italian restaurants) that one tends to go through with gluten/wheat intolerance. Especially after you've just been diagnosed (as I had), it's great to know that there's someone else out there who has the same annoying issues as i do (i.e. difficulty eating out at restaurants, dining with friends), and can offer some good advice on how to cope.

#7 Suzn14806

Suzn14806

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 12:06 PM

I enjoyed the humor in Against the Grain too but I think it is important to not that it was published quite a while ago so some of the nutritional information offered is no longer accurate.

I appreciated he down to earth approach for asking for what you need prepared the way you need it without apologizing for it. She is really good!!

Sue
gluten-free for 22 days
(but who's counting??)

#8 Suzn14806

Suzn14806

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 12:21 PM

"The Gluten Free Kitchen" by Roben Ryberg is also a very good book.

My husband and I used to eat out at least 4 nights a week. That was our lifestyle. I am adjusting to cooking my own food and eating at home. It is a major challenge but I am excited about it because I am already feeling soooo much better.

I need to add that this board is a real lifesaver! I love it. Thanks everyone for your knowledgeable support. It is great. The one thing I have learned very quickly is to not take other people's word for what I can and can't eat. I appreciate that frequently people post the website or book where they got their information so I can check it out for myself.

My attitude is that I am not giving up one thing that I don't have to but I am also not putting anything in my mouth that will rob me of my health. That means doing a lot of research and playing private detective about everything I eat but it is worth it.

#9 Guest_PastorDave_*

Guest_PastorDave_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2004 - 05:12 PM

I have to agree with Jessica that Bette Hagaman's Cookbooks are my favorites. It is good to have good info, but the recipies are what I enjoy. She certainly knows her stuff. My wife found a bunch of them on Ebay for a little less $$ as well. It is nice to save money when all the gluten-free flour is expensive out here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: