This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Celiacs Make Kids Grumpy?

3groovygirls

3groovygirls Contributor

Seriously, my 20 month old is driving me nuts. NUTS. All she wants to do is be held CONSTANTLY. It's insane. She stands at me and screeches. You name it, at home, in the car, store, if I"m not holding her she's miserable. Does this have anything to do with her Celiacs? Probably not since she's gluten free??

I was just curious! My other kids were NOT like this. I wondered if your Celiacs babies/toddlers were or if I just have a high maintenace kid who coincidentally has Celiacs, LOL!

Linda

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guhlia Rising Star

My youngest has multiple intolerances/allergies and she's very clingy when she has any depending on the amount and what it is.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

If glutened, my ds is very whiney and clingy, otherwise, if he's healthy, he's happy! If it get's out of control, I gently say, "I'm sorry, but you're hurting mommy's ears, I'm going to go in the other room (or put him in his bedroom) until you're ready to act like a big boy" When he sees that I'm not giving in to his demands and since he wants to be in the room with me, he usually gives up and behaves.

sugarsue Enthusiast
Seriously, my 20 month old is driving me nuts. NUTS. All she wants to do is be held CONSTANTLY. It's insane. She stands at me and screeches. You name it, at home, in the car, store, if I"m not holding her she's miserable. Does this have anything to do with her Celiacs? Probably not since she's gluten free??

I was just curious! My other kids were NOT like this. I wondered if your Celiacs babies/toddlers were or if I just have a high maintenace kid who coincidentally has Celiacs, LOL!

Linda

Yes! My 6 yr old spent her life so far wanting to be held. Now that she is gluten free, she's much better, but when glutened or when she's sick, she does not want to walk, gets very whiney and wants to be held all the time.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Oh gosh yes. I wore my son in a front pack a lot during his first two and a half years of life. It was the only way to get anything done and keep him content. The movement seemed to soothe him also. I would find myself rocking while standing still even years later.

When I think of how anxious, depressed and irritable I get when under the influence it's easy to see how this could effect someone so young. It's hard because they don't understand why they feel the way they do and they can't adaquately vocalize it to us. Sometimes all we can do to help is to hold and comfort them the best we can.

If you haven't been gluten free for very long he also could be going through some withdrawl and that should pass. It also might be a good idea to reaccess everything he is eating and coming in contact with.

GlutenFreeAl Contributor

Just my .02 - many on the board here say that they get depressed when they accidentally consume gluten, or that their depression lifted when they went gluten free. Most kids who are depressed look irritable and whiny rather than having the typical symptoms we associate with depression in adults.

If this is a relatively new behavior, and there have been no other major changes in your household or her routine, I'd take a close look and make sure your daughter is not getting CC'ed in some way.

Of course, she could just be getting close to the "terrible two's"... <_<

3groovygirls Contributor

Thanks guys!

She DID just accidentally get glutened last week. Diarrhea for 3 days straight and this behavior started right after it. I mean, she's always been like this to a degree but it's gotten HORRID this past week. So maybe it's an after effect?

If not, I better get my Ergo carrier back out and brace myself for the terrible 2's. Yikes!

I try putting her in the playpen or giving her a timeout for this behavior but it just makes it worse b/c I don't think she gets it yet! (the timeout)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Thanks guys!

She DID just accidentally get glutened last week. Diarrhea for 3 days straight and this behavior started right after it. I mean, she's always been like this to a degree but it's gotten HORRID this past week. So maybe it's an after effect?

If not, I better get my Ergo carrier back out and brace myself for the terrible 2's. Yikes!

I try putting her in the playpen or giving her a timeout for this behavior but it just makes it worse b/c I don't think she gets it yet! (the timeout)

It does sound like it is gluten related which means that it should get better soon. Your right about her being to young to understand the time out yet. All she knows right now is that she doesn't feel good. Some might disagree but I would comfort her as much as you can.

Archived