Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

High Fructose Corn Syrup Also High- Mercury?

• Please log in to reply

10 replies to this topic

#1 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:45 PM

I know some of the members here have had difficulty with mercury toxicity, and it's certainly something to look for in the autistic population, along with leaky gut syndrome.

I just saw this article: http://civileats.com...to-mad-hatters/.

I did not know about this before. I thought I should pass it along here, as there have been several posts asking for recommendations for imitation maple syrups (like Mrs. Butterworth's), ALL of which are extremely high in HFCS.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,747 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:32 AM

Thanks for posting this. I have been avoiding HFC now since I was told I was diabetic, which I am not. It is in almost everything. I understand it is cheaper than 'real' sugar but like wheat I see no reason why it has to be in so very much of our food. It really wrecks havoc with our systems and I agree completely with the article about it being one of the driving forces behind a lot of the Type 2 diabetes that is running rampant in our country. What it does to BS levels is obvious if folks just use a BS meter and test after consuming it and then consuming another similar product with natural sugar.
The fact that it is processed with mercury now gives me another reason to avoid it like the plague. When is this country going to wake up and realize that all this overprocessing of our food is killing us?
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:13 AM

Wow, but then again, it doesn't surprise me. It is as if the food industry purposely poisons us, so we go to doctors, and get robbed, and put on drugs, so the drug companies can rob us too, and keep us in the endless cycle of disease.

I'd hope that old fashioned pure maple syrup is still made ok. Though I haven't researched them, there are also syrups made from rice, tapioca, sorghum, and more.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#4 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 02:50 PM

Thanks for the link Fiddle Faddle, that is very informative. This seems like it really could explain a lot of problems people have with their health in this country. Definitely a good reason to avoid processed foods!

I was aware of the concerns about HFCS from seeing the industry ads on it, but hadn't actually researched it much. Danged if I didn't make some peanut brittle with HFCS instead of sugar recently and was thinking of doing more of it. I kind of liked it because it didn't taste as sweet as the version made with suger. Going to have to rethink that now. I had bought some pancake syrup and was using that in some batches because it is cheaper to buy the pancake syrup than a bottle of HFCS.

You are severely impacting my candy making plans here Fiddle-Faddle. I hope you are happy! LOL :P

:)
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#5 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 02:57 PM

It's possible that I am not correct here, but I believe that the corn syrup we buy in the grocery aisle for baking is NOT the same as the high fructose corn syrup that the industry uses as cheap sugar.

You can also make a sugar syrup substitute for corn syrup by combining a cup of sugar with a little water--can't remember if it's 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup--and bringing to a boil.

#6 Mother of Jibril

Mother of Jibril

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:00 PM

I'd hope that old fashioned pure maple syrup is still made ok.

I can't say for sure that companies aren't doing strange things to pure maple syrup... but it doesn't require any special processing. Just boiling to reduce the amount of water.

I have an uncle in Wisconsin who lives out in the country... he like to tap the maple trees in his yard and make his own maple syrup from scratch. Wow! The syrup is so GOOD. I have a small stash in my cupboard... I use a little bit on my unsweetened yogurt in the morning. :P Another interesting sugar is pure cane juice. Since it's unrefined it has lots of minerals, enzymes, and a complex taste. Here's a source I found online: http://www.mexgrocer.com/10052.html
Gluten free 08/08
Son has IgE allergies to peanuts and corn
Hashimoto's, MCAD, pregnancy loss at 17 weeks
HLA-DQB1*0302 (celiac), HLA-DQB1*0301 (gluten sensitive)
Serological equivalent 3,3 (subtype 8,7)
Extensive family history of autoimmune disorders and related symptoms

#7 GFinDC

GFinDC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:49 AM

It's possible that I am not correct here, but I believe that the corn syrup we buy in the grocery aisle for baking is NOT the same as the high fructose corn syrup that the industry uses as cheap sugar.

You can also make a sugar syrup substitute for corn syrup by combining a cup of sugar with a little water--can't remember if it's 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup--and bringing to a boil.

Thanks Fiddly-Faddly, :D

I might just try that sugar water syrup instead. I do want to make a less sweet version of the brittle. I add some chocolate and coconut and that makes it plenty sweet already. I went ahead and sent an online query to Karo Syrup on the mercury issue and will let you know what they say (if I get a response). Their site says they respond in 3 to 5 days.

http://www.karosyrup.com/index.html

Since there is no labeling requirement right now it seems the only choice is to avoid corn syrup entirely, or contact each food maker to verify the stuff is ok.

The way I understand it from reading the “Not So Sweet: Missing Mercury and High Fructose Corn Syrup,” [PDF] paper by David Wallinga linked in the article, the caustic soda is used early in the process of making any corn syrup. Then at the end they can blend it into lighter versions if needed. There is a block diagram on page 10 of his paper and an paragraph titled How is HFCS produced?. It says that the caustic soda is used to separate the corn starch. Seems they can't get very far with out doing that step. So it seems all corn syrup could potentially have this issue.

The article says there are 4 plants in the USA still making the caustic soda with the mercury cell method. But who in the food industry buys the caustic soda from them vs the plants that use a mercury free process? And it it also says the caustic soda can be imported from overseas with no regulation on mercury also.

Seems it is a crap shoot at this point on if there is mercury in the corn syrup in foods. Normally I don't get corn syrup in my diet these days since I do cook most all my food from scratch. But it is in pancake syrups and sald dressings etc that I might use sometimes.

Guess I won't be trusting anything with any corn syrup from now on until they resolve this somehow.

Thanks, great link on an important issue!
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#8 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:05 AM

It says that the caustic soda is used to separate the corn starch. Seems they can't get very far with out doing that step. So it seems all corn syrup could potentially have this issue.

Holy CRAP. :blink:

My next question would be, does that mean that all corn STARCH could potentially have this issue????????????

If it does, then, boy, are we all in big trouble.

#9 GFinDC

GFinDC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 02:18 PM

Holy CRAP. :blink:

My next question would be, does that mean that all corn STARCH could potentially have this issue????????????

If it does, then, boy, are we all in big trouble.

I don't know about corn starch. It may be ok. I looked at a few links on how they make it and they described soaking the corn in water but not caustic soda.
http://www.starch.dk...m18www-corn.htm

The IATP paper fby David Wallinga says that caustic soda is sued in making citric acid and sodium benzoate also. Those are ingredients in lots of packaged foods too.

This reminds me of the stories about the old time alchemists trying to make new things from a certain substance. In this case it seems like the chemists are trying to make dead people out of corn. So sweet of them!

#10 GFinDC

GFinDC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:34 PM

Well, I got a nice response from Brenda at Karo (ACH Food) today. Looks their products are not a problem. I pasted in part of the email below:

Paul,

Thanks for contacting ACH Food, Inc.
Our suppliers of high fructose corn syrup do not use caustic soda produced using a mercury cell process. We have long standing relationships with our suppliers of high fructose corn syrup, and are confident our products are pure, safe and mercury free.

We appreciate your interest and hope you will continue to enjoy our products.

Brenda
Consumer Affairs
ACH Food, Inc.

#11 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,747 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:05 AM

Well, I got a nice response from Brenda at Karo (ACH Food) today. Looks their products are not a problem. I pasted in part of the email below:

Paul,

Thanks for contacting ACH Food, Inc.
Our suppliers of high fructose corn syrup do not use caustic soda produced using a mercury cell process. We have long standing relationships with our suppliers of high fructose corn syrup, and are confident our products are pure, safe and mercury free.

We appreciate your interest and hope you will continue to enjoy our products.

Brenda
Consumer Affairs
ACH Food, Inc.

Thanks for letting us know.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: