This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Cruise

GF John

GF John Newbie

Good news for Celiacs ! I just returned from a cruise on Celebrity's Solstice, and boy was a surprised. Since being diagnosed 6 months ago, I have trusted only one restaurant. I haved learned to cook all me favorites at home , including Genaeral Tsoa's Chicken. As with all of you, I fear food cooked by anyone else. Imagine my delight to have Gluten free breakfasts. lunches, and dinners prepared on a cruise ship for an entire week without a single reaction. Imagine further, my Waiter ( Rahmi ) verified every meal as gluten-free and double checked every time I asked. In the gormet Asian restaurant ( Silk Harvest ), Anti, the manager, went over the entire meal with me prior to my reservation to ensure everything would be gluten-free, and Boy was IT !! In the buffet areas I had full access to all the Chefs, anytime I had a question!! I brought many gluten-free snacks in my siutcase, and never used any of them.

I don't know why Celebreity doesn't advertise to Celiacs, but they should ! Instead of feelng different and troublesome, I was able to feel Special. I was the only Celiac in my group of seven, but everyone always envied my meals !!

On one occasion, it was mentioned that Blueberry Pie was a favorite, so the next day Rahmi bruoght Blueberry pie with ice cream for everyone. Knowing I was allergic, Rahmi returned with a sly grin and a tray full of desserts just for me, including Cream Brule', and Belgian Chocolate !!!

There were many other amenities, too numerous to mention, but as a Paranoid Celiac, I have to say this the best Vacation I ever had !!

PS Before this trip, I had no desire to Cruise.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

flourgirl Apprentice

Wow!!! I have to say I AM very impressed! How fortunate you are to have "landed" (no pun intended, really :P ) in a great vacation situation. Perhaps a letter of thanks, along with an urge for them to advertise is called for here. Just a suggestion :)

• 1 month later...
eringopaint Newbie

Wow - that is great news! I was always afraid of cruises but now am ready to book one. Thanks for letting us know.

erin

pegom1 Rookie

I have cruised on Norwegian and Royal Carribean and am booked on Norwegian next month. Norwegian was so accomodating- gluten-free bagels, waffles, pizza. pasta...desserts.. I would put my dinner order in with a restaurant in the morning and it would be delivered to whichever restaurant we chose to eat at that night. Before the cruise they assured my husband that providing gluten-free food wouldn't be a problem. The only problem was finding the Maitre'D who knew about the gluten-free food. This time, I was emailed a list of gluten-free available and checked off what I would like them to have on the ship=can't ask for more than that.

Royal Carribean was a disaster. They also assured us they had requests for gluten-free dining all the time and it wouldn't be a problem. Well, they lied! All they had was gluten-free rolls and every dnner was either a plain steak or grilled chicken..very disappointing!

hez Enthusiast

I had a great experience on Royal Carribean last year! I did have the choice of a plain chicken, steak or salmon but I also had a choice of other entrees on the menu. One night I wanted the beef but could not have the sauce. The chef mad a gluten-free sauce for me. My only complaint is that I had no desserts just fruit plates.

Hez

moving on Apprentice
Good news for Celiacs ! I just returned from a cruise on Celebrity's Solstice, and boy was a surprised. Since being diagnosed 6 months ago, I have trusted only one restaurant. I haved learned to cook all me favorites at home , including Genaeral Tsoa's Chicken. As with all of you, I fear food cooked by anyone else. Imagine my delight to have Gluten free breakfasts. lunches, and dinners prepared on a cruise ship for an entire week without a single reaction. Imagine further, my Waiter ( Rahmi ) verified every meal as gluten-free and double checked every time I asked. In the gormet Asian restaurant ( Silk Harvest ), Anti, the manager, went over the entire meal with me prior to my reservation to ensure everything would be gluten-free, and Boy was IT !! In the buffet areas I had full access to all the Chefs, anytime I had a question!! I brought many gluten-free snacks in my siutcase, and never used any of them.

I don't know why Celebreity doesn't advertise to Celiacs, but they should ! Instead of feelng different and troublesome, I was able to feel Special. I was the only Celiac in my group of seven, but everyone always envied my meals !!

On one occasion, it was mentioned that Blueberry Pie was a favorite, so the next day Rahmi bruoght Blueberry pie with ice cream for everyone. Knowing I was allergic, Rahmi returned with a sly grin and a tray full of desserts just for me, including Cream Brule', and Belgian Chocolate !!!

There were many other amenities, too numerous to mention, but as a Paranoid Celiac, I have to say this the best Vacation I ever had !!

PS Before this trip, I had no desire to Cruise.

moving on Apprentice

It's nice to know that you were able to dine gluten-free in the Silk Den. I would have thought it would be off limits. I don't remember which Celebrity ship it was, but when we tried to book the speciality restaurant, I was told they could not accommodate me. Things do seem to be improving.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 month later...
Dada2hapas Rookie

Great news. We like cruising and enjoy FOOD, and (pre-celiac) really enjoyed Celebrity. As a new celiac, I was thinking I'd have to give up restaurants, cruises or vacations in general. I'm finding I can still live happy. Thanks for the info! :P

Jenbirds Rookie

I'm planning to cruise in 2010, and was going to sail again (but first time as Gluten-free) on Royal Caribbean. After reading these threads, I'm considering booking w/ Celebrity instead.

Can anyone comment on whether Celebrity will accommodate the Gluten-free diet for breakfast and/or lunch, too?

Thanks!

gluten-free since March 2008; positive endocscopy and bloodwork

• 2 weeks later...
moving on Apprentice

I usually ate breakfast and lunch at the regular buffet or the spa cafe. The matre'd's on duty were always helpful and would check into something we were not sure of. At times they would get me a chicken breast from the back but I usually could find something that fit my needs. I did avoid the sandwich area but would often get a burger fresh from the grill.

• 2 weeks later...
ginafur77 Newbie

I sailed with Carinval this spring. We had taken cruises before and had booked for our honeymoon before I found out I had the gluten allergy and were afraid we would need to cancel. The week went smoothly and the staff was careful and let me look at the menu the night before and the chef made sure my choices were gluten free and every evening I got a "chef's choice" dessert. The only time that was a little hard was lunch with buffets but there were always staff around to ask. It was a great honeymoon and without reaction.

Archived