This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Frustrated With Constant Accidential Dosing With Allergen

Stefani

Stefani Newbie

On October 1st I finally faced the truth about my food allergies and my eating habits, so I turned my life around and made a commitment to eat foods that would not make me sick. For 3.5 months I was feeling GREAT with only 2 accidental dosing of allergen. Now, for the past 2 weeks I have been so sick :( and this morning is horrible. My body feels like it has been run over by a truck and all my joints ache. My nose is stuffed up something horrible and my throat feels a bit tight and swollen. I itch from head to toe and I have a blistering headache. And speaking of blisters, the skin on the back of my hands feels like its burnt and raw. And I wont even go into the stomach details - gack! All I know is that I want to crawl back into bed and sleep - I'm exhausted today.

Recent Changes - bought Dove shampoo and conditioner because they dont have soy and wheat. Found Soy in all my lotions so tossed those out. I found Cayenne Pepper (I'm allergic to peppers) in a herbal thyroid pill I take - so I cut that out. I felt great the next day and then the following day felt dosed again. I dont take any other pills - so I can rule that out. So now I'm thinking it may be one of these other things I am eating:

Pork (which I just read often gets a glaze of caesin before heading out to market and is sometimes filled with antibiotics which can cause a reaction)

Eggs

Bananas

Nuts

Corn

Citrus

Avocado

Chocolate

I'm just so frustrated (and bloated) today and wonder, when will this ever end??? When do I find out I'm allergic to air?

I know by my severe reaction today that it was something ingested yesterday. Chocolate glazed pork (homemade with baking chocolate), eggs, almonds, banana, avocado, and citrus went into my mouth yesterday - so here we go again trying to figure out what I am allergic to this time!

Frustrating! :angry:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

PaulaJ Newbie

Stefani--I understand your frustration and pain, believe me - food allergies suck so very bad, and I have more food allergies than I have fingers and toes combined. Tonight I had a hive in the back of my head and my back and face itches (I think I've got some hives going there too). I think I am allergic to tea (or maybe it was something else I got into), but anyway it's sucking! It's tough to cope sometimes.

I've got a thread on this site called Low Dose Allergen therapy, which is a therapy I am embarking on, if you are interested in reading it. It's one way to treat allergies, other than elimination, when you've got a lot of them.

Paula

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast
Pork

Eggs

Bananas

Nuts

Corn

Citrus

Avocado

Chocolate

Personally... I can't eat corn. I can't even eat processed foods with corn derivatives (corn starch, corn syrup, xantham gum, etc...). It makes me gassy and bloated.

Eggs are a problem for a fair number of people on this board. Nuts are a "major allergen." The rest of the foods on your list are probably OK, but you never know... my daughter is allergic to pumpkin seeds (not pumpkin, just the seeds). :blink: Unfortunately, there's no easy test for intolerances.

• 1 month later...
Crayons574 Contributor
On October 1st I finally faced the truth about my food allergies and my eating habits, so I turned my life around and made a commitment to eat foods that would not make me sick. For 3.5 months I was feeling GREAT with only 2 accidental dosing of allergen. Now, for the past 2 weeks I have been so sick :( and this morning is horrible. My body feels like it has been run over by a truck and all my joints ache. My nose is stuffed up something horrible and my throat feels a bit tight and swollen. I itch from head to toe and I have a blistering headache. And speaking of blisters, the skin on the back of my hands feels like its burnt and raw. And I wont even go into the stomach details - gack! All I know is that I want to crawl back into bed and sleep - I'm exhausted today.

Recent Changes - bought Dove shampoo and conditioner because they dont have soy and wheat. Found Soy in all my lotions so tossed those out. I found Cayenne Pepper (I'm allergic to peppers) in a herbal thyroid pill I take - so I cut that out. I felt great the next day and then the following day felt dosed again. I dont take any other pills - so I can rule that out. So now I'm thinking it may be one of these other things I am eating:

Pork (which I just read often gets a glaze of caesin before heading out to market and is sometimes filled with antibiotics which can cause a reaction)

Eggs

Bananas

Nuts

Corn

Citrus

Avocado

Chocolate

I'm just so frustrated (and bloated) today and wonder, when will this ever end??? When do I find out I'm allergic to air?

I know by my severe reaction today that it was something ingested yesterday. Chocolate glazed pork (homemade with baking chocolate), eggs, almonds, banana, avocado, and citrus went into my mouth yesterday - so here we go again trying to figure out what I am allergic to this time!

Frustrating! :angry:

For me, I cannot tolerate eggs, corn, citrus, and especially chocolate from the list you named above. And I know people who cannot tolerate nuts. It is best to try the elimination diet. It is a pain to do, but really the only way to tell, because you know your body best and you know when something you're ingesting is making you feel bad. Try to eliminate one thing at a time for a few days. You can add it back after a few days and see if it causes problems again. In the meantime, read all the labels on all the products your ingesting and make sure they do not say "Made on equipment that also manufactures wheat, soy, peanuts, etc." Best of luck!

dtgirl Rookie

I cannot eat nuts or corn; eggs very, very rarely. I know how frusterating it is, especially when I feel like I have things figured out, something else happens and I get a strange reaction to a safe food. I hate the bloat and fluid retention, it makes me feel so gross. Hope you figure it out..

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Sometimes when nuts are seasoned, a gluten coating is applied first to get the seasoning to stick better. If your nuts came from a place where that is used, they could contain trace gluten.

ang1e0251 Contributor

What company does this? I usually buy Planters.

I agree with the elimination diet. Also I would keep a food/symptom journal. It will help you with that hindsight needed to find a sneaky problem and dr's like to see how you've come to that conclusion. Sometimes just thinking about your food enough to write it down can cause the lightbulb to come on.

By the way, I reacted to a tea this winter. Still don't know why, but went back to my more expensive safe tea.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived