16 replies to this topic

#16 jeanniebell

jeanniebell

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

I have reactions to sulfur dioxide, sulfites in wine & sulfa type medications. I get more or less the same reaction with the sulfur dioxide and sulfites - itchy, annoying little bumps/hives all over my torso. My reaction with sulfa medications however was on my face and way worse (maybe due to the concentration). I had red blotches all over my face that hung around for several weeks. I avoid all sulfur dioxide and sulfa medications but I still drink wine once in awhile because I can tolerate that. Some kinds don't bother me at all, others will leave me with annoying little hives for a few hours then go away. So, I tend to stick to the brands of wine that i know won't don't cause me any trouble. Organic/bio-dynamic ones are often best.

My niece is also allergic to sulfa type medications (she had the same rash on her face as I did) and my mother will turn beet red if she has a glass of wine.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 jhol

jhol

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

this is a really interesting thread

i know im having problems with food but just cant figure out what it is . have been diagnosed neg for celiac. from the moment i had my first alcoholic drink, i knew i had a problem with it! obviously couldnt tell my parents- coz then they,d know id been drinking lol . so i just put it down to me just being odd . i have been covered head to toe in a red rash from drinking scrumpy jack cider. !! coz of this ive never been a big drinker- it made me feel breathless, and my face feel tight - i could feel myself gettin hotter and hotter,and get an annoying tickly cough.
a few years ago i had an allergic reaction to an antibiotic - amoxycillin dont know if this is connected to sulfites or not.
ive also got a rash on my face that im trying to figure out whats causing it. and sometimes feel that my tongue has got too big for my mouth.
i also had a problem with my eyes - that i thought was conjunctivitis, but it was suggested it was scleritis. because of this i looked into my makeup and stuff and thought it was my bubblebath ( i liked to lie under the water) and thought it was probably the sodium lauryl sulfate which ive tried to avoid ever since.
does any of what im saying make any sense im kinda just thinkin out loud - its just flicked a lightswitch on for me
any imput would help me make sense of this thanks....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: