This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I See Things That Are Not Real Or There When I Wake Up Sometimes?

UnhappyCoeliac

Frixyy Newbie

I was seeing spiders right after i wake up.this thing was happening to me for years.

Last month i started to havestrange hallucination, every time i was seeing some man,watching me while sleeping.

Every time was the same face,and it was slowly dissapearing.I dont recognize it

It was so fcking scary,i hate it.I used some church oil,and its gone now.

Im 24,im not religious,i dont use drugs.okay sometimes i drink lol

kiddin.im not alcoholic

dude,pls contact me .

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Frixyy Newbie

I mean UnhappyCoeliac ,add me.

and others who have similar stories :)

Birdie-Is-Tiny Rookie
I often wake up hearing music that isn't there. Have done this for many years. :)

Me too! I once walked around my house putting my ears to all the radios, stereos, and the tv because I was certain I could hear Madonna. Nothing was actually on it creeped me out! Also, why Madonna? lol

• 1 month later...
cyberprof Enthusiast
ok, that is SO weird. I do the EXACT same thing! I do think it is worse when I get into gluten, but who knows. It's always when I'm waking up and its always a spider! If I'm on my back I see spider webs falling on me from the ceiling. I always flip the blankets up over my head to keep them from landing on me. :ph34r: It feels so real doesn't it? It used to happen all the time to me. And they do just fade away, not just disappear.

I haven't had one happen in awhile, but when it does happen its the weirdest thing. It's not like I'm dreaming about spiders or anything. I always thought it was just that I was opening my eyes while I was still asleep. Odd that its always spiders and/or webs though.

Anyway, I'm sorry I don't have an answer but I just thought I'd let you know it happens to me too.

Add me to the list. Mine are always spiders and/or webs. I haven't had one in a while so maybe they were related to gluten. I always thought it was part of my other sleep habits, like talking in my sleep and not remembering later or getting up, walking across the room and turning off the alarm and not remembering later.

• 4 weeks later...
msmini14 Enthusiast

When I was younger I used to see people in the night and even talk to them. I was dreaming though, but it seemed so real. I havent ever seen any bugs thank god since I am so scared of them lol.

The spider issue has happened to my mom several times, she would wake up screaming and say she had seen a huge spider on the celing or wall. She has not been tested for celiac and probably never will but this has happened to her.

I hope it gets better for you, I wouldnt be able to handle something like that lol.

OliveBranch Apprentice

What a fascinating discussion!

I have had small episodes of sleep paralysis for many years, though not enough to worry about; in the months before I started considering that I might have celiac, I was having them more often, and, since being gluten-free, they've been much less frequent (though it happened this morning -- maybe because I read this thread last night!). I thought I'd share my experience for comparison:

When it happens, I'm aware that I am awake and can open and close my eyes, but cannot move. This morning I tried moving my arm, and could feel it moving, but could also see with my (presumably open) eyes that it was completely still. I don't usually see things that aren't there, though sometimes I feel that someone else is in the room, which is mildly frightening, though it has happened enough for me to know that it's an illusion. This almost always happens on mornings when I have gone back to sleep after my husband has gone to work, so I know I'm alone; however, these are also mornings when my sleep has been disrupted a tiny bit by his getting up earlier. The paralysis only lasts about a minute or so. I think it may happen because I don't properly wake up when my husband gets out of bed, but he says that I do talk to him as he's getting up--which I then don't remember. So I think that my 'sleep architecture' gets skewed in that moment -- 1 minute of being functional (talking, responding) but not mentally awake/aware when he gets up, and then, when I am ready to wake up, I'm aware for a minute without being functionally awake.

I do think it's probably all related to gluten, and that, as I keep on the gluten-free track, this will keep happening less and less... this is one symptom that I can follow with interest, instead of just desperation for it to disappear.

best,

Emily

P.S. On a wackier and non-celiac-related note, I have heard the theory that sleep paralysis could be behind many reports of alien abductions. These people are completely convinced that they are awake, and see and experience things (aliens) that aren't there, and then cannot believe that they were dream images and not real. Reading this thread, I am more convinced that this is the case. It's fascinating that so many of you all see spiders in this state, and it can't be a complete coincidence; there must be other recurring images that are shared by those who believe they've been abducted by aliens. (Maybe they are gluten intolerant, too! ;) ) The territory of sleep and dreams is endlessly fascinating....

Evie4 Apprentice
It use to be alot worse before diagnosis but as the title suggests basically occassionaly I wake up facing the wall and I am greeted by a giant spider that looks oh so real... heart immediate starts to race "wtf is going on" etc... keep staring......and... its disappears.

The first time this happen I screamed the house down. Now I wake up I see the spider but simply wait 30 seconds or so and it disappears.

I have no idea what this is but I assume it is some sort of very weirdo hallucination. I never ever see nice stuff either... I wouldNT mind if i woke up and it was a hot naked chick or something... but not it has to be a massive spider or some sort of snake head.

I simply ignore it and it goes away but the spider is pretty much the same every time and I just wonder where on earth it could come from... haven't had it since being gluten free but only been gluten free 3 days or so.

I have never told anyone this or nor do I plan too... honestly its is the sounds silly and I am the one experiencing it. I just wonder if it related to gluten or any other celiac has encountered it? ;)

It doesnt bother me a whole lot even when I am half asleep and I wake up these days I know its not real... but it doesnt stop it occurring when i wake up

Happens maybe once a month or so :angry:

What you are describing reminds me of my husbands "night terrors". He has read from a forum where people compare their stories--very interesting. In his case, they happen when he is under extreme stress/worry.

It freaked me out in the beginning, but the more it happened, the more I sense(d) it and wake him up before he gets to the part when he sits up in bed and starts freaking out. (Wimpering always seems to precede his awaking). I've questioned him immediately after some of these episodes and he can't always remember. He knows he was scared, but he can't always describe what he saw. I'm pretty certain the spider came up. Oh and, he has no known issues with gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 8 years later...
FaithM Newbie

That happens to me too, but instead of one big spider its multiple small ones. Everytime its a different spider, and it swarms me as soon as i open my eyes. My brain doesnt fully process if its real or not so i dont react too bad, just jump out of bed. It isnt always spiders though.. Sometimes ill wake up and see my mom in my room and tell her go get out or something and she not be there. 

Archived