25 replies to this topic

#1 bjn555

bjn555

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:45 AM

Hi gluten-free Community....Do any of you guys ever get sick from just the odors from cooking gluten? For the past week I have been glutened, but couldn't figure how, until I awoke with heart palpitations, tingling lips and extreme anxiety at 1am...to find husband and son cooking pizza and pasta so that I wouldn't "catch" them with gluten. I try to maintain a gluten-free house, since me and my kids have gluten issues and a grandson with autism on the diet. My son is in denial, because he enjoys his gluten binges, he has been cooking late at night after I go to sleep. My grandson had problems at school during this week as well. Please tell me I'm not imagining the symptoms. Some people just don't get it. When I confronted them, shaking with sweats, they just said "hey, calm down, it's just pasta". OMG!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sbj

sbj

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:36 PM

I've never heard of this type of reaction before! I have heard of folks reacting to airborne flour, or reacting to crumbs in the kitchen, etc. but never to cooking odors.

That must really be tough on you because it means you can never eat out - anywhere! Or get near BBQs, probably can't even go to amusement parks or baseball games. Basically this means you can't go anywhere that food is prepared - and food is prepared everywhere! That's terrible. Maybe some sort of mask would help?

#3 CeliacMom2008

CeliacMom2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:49 PM

My guess is that it's more likely that they aren't cleaning up enough and you, not knowing that gluten has been in your kitchen, don't know to be careful in your own kitchen. I know I'm more cautious at my parents' house than I am in my own. Outside of the dog food on the floor, I know in my house the pans, cookie sheets, strainer, countertop, towels, etc. are all safe; but at my parents' I know they still eat gluten when we're not there. So while there we use paper towels to dry our hands, food isn't set directly on the countertop, etc.

Good luck!!

#4 SGWhiskers

SGWhiskers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:43 PM

I'm with you Celiac Mom. I seem to get nausia and a headache intermittently from hot gluten, broken crackers/cookies, and the flour isle at the grocery store. I'm recovering from a glutening from picking up a garbage bag with birdseed in it. Either that or the cookie the guy behind me broke open. I felt weird and looked behind me to see him picking at a big cookie. I would freak out if I had a reaction as severe as you and found out my hubby was cooking gluten.

I hope you feel well soon.

SGW

#5 Tallforagirl

Tallforagirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:09 PM

...I awoke with heart palpitations, tingling lips and extreme anxiety at 1am...to find husband and son cooking pizza and pasta so that I wouldn't "catch" them with gluten.

I don't see how you could have ingested the gluten when you weren't even in the same room. Perhaps it was from CC earlier in the day (if there are gluten eaters in the house this is always a possibility).

I think it's more likely that you are making yourself disproportionately anxious just by worrying that you may get glutened. Your mind can do funny things to you. It's possible your anxiety about being glutened could produce symptoms similar to the glutening reaction you fear. Odours can be very evocative, and the smell of the pasta and pizza cooking may have made you anxious to the point of panic.

"The American Psychiatric Association describes a panic attack as 'a discrete period of intense fear or discomfort that is accompanied by at least four of thirteen physical or cognitive symptoms'. The experience of less than four symptoms is known as a 'limited symptom attack'.

Symptoms include: palpitations, sweating, trembling or shaking, shortness of breath or smothering, feelings of choking, chest pain or discomfort, nausea or abdominal distress, dizziness or lightheadedness, pins and needles, diarrhoea, dry mouth, headache, derealisation or depersonalisation, and chills or hot flushes (APA 1994)."

http://www.panicanxi.....c Attacks.htm

Note: I don't believe that having a panic attack could be classified as "imagining symptoms". The symptoms of a panic attack are very real.
Signature currently under construction

#6 bjn555

bjn555

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:32 PM

Thanks tallforagirl, I'll look into panic attacks, but still think this is gluten related. I'm still having effects, weakness, dizziness,sweats, etc., just not so severe. Inhaling is ingesting, so to speak. The aroma was as strong in the bedroom as the kitchen thanks to central heat. My daughter says molecules are released into the air, inhaled, and thus an allergic reaction. I have to cook ravioli for a church group (in the church kitchen) this weekend and I plan to be extra careful....thanks again!

#7 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:33 PM

I agree that if they are cooking without you knowing, i'm assuming that they're not cleaning up as well as they could be. It's very possible for gluten reactions to last far more than just a day afterwards, I have had some lingering effects that last almost 2 weeks before, so it is possible that there has been somce CC in your kitchen and you are still suffering the effects of the CC that you got. Especially if you say that you are still getting the symptoms just they are a little less intense that would make sense that you have been glutened and now you just had a pretty severe attack and you really just gotta wait it out.
I hate CC gluten posioning, it's totally the worst cause you don't expect to be getting sick and it's quite frustrating.

--M
Molly

#8 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:31 AM

Hi gluten-free Community....Do any of you guys ever get sick from just the odors from cooking gluten? For the past week I have been glutened, but couldn't figure how, until I awoke with heart palpitations, tingling lips and extreme anxiety at 1am...to find husband and son cooking pizza and pasta so that I wouldn't "catch" them with gluten. I try to maintain a gluten-free house, since me and my kids have gluten issues and a grandson with autism on the diet. My son is in denial, because he enjoys his gluten binges, he has been cooking late at night after I go to sleep. My grandson had problems at school during this week as well. Please tell me I'm not imagining the symptoms. Some people just don't get it. When I confronted them, shaking with sweats, they just said "hey, calm down, it's just pasta". OMG!

I almost have the same problem but for me, I believe it is purely psychosomatic and I has nothing to do with being glutened. You do have to ingest gluten for a true reaction to occur. My issue is when I get near a fast food joint, like McDonald's, when they are making the food and you can smell it everywhere in the vicinity of the restaurant. Dunkin' Donuts is also a problem. I stopped eating all fast food about 25 years ago, a long time before my diagnosis, because it made me so sick. Even after going gluten-free many years later and making a full recovery, if I smell fatty, gluteny foods, it turns my stomach. It's like getting hit by a skunk, that's how odorous it is to me. The only reaction I have is nausea, which disappears when the offending smell is removed.

I also have this problem when hubby toasts wheat bread....what a yucky smell. I am not a panic attack kind of person, have never been on any meds for depression or any kind of attacks so this is not the problem for me, although I do think for some it could be a trigger. Guilt by association is what I think....my body knows gluten is bad for me so my mind reacts as a protection mechanism. I always laugh about it because, for me, it's an association thing. Some people can trigger a memory from a smell alone so this could be the problem for you. If you have fear about being glutened, your mind might react this way and the body follows. It just goes to show you how important the mind-body connection really is.

#9 bjn555

bjn555

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:22 AM

Sorry, Gemini, but I have to disagree that ingesting gluten is the only way to have a reaction.....my grandson was glutened playing with Play-dough, which contains wheat. It was absorbed through the pores of his skin. There would be no need for gluten-free detergents, or make-up or lotions, etc. I really don't worry about being glutened, but do have concerns for my grandson who has autism. When he gets glutoned he doesn't sleep, is violent, aggresive, all around uncontrollable and that lasts for about 3 days. Other than that, I don't think about it that much unless we are invited to dine places outside of my home, which has been gluten-free since 2006 (at least until this past week, LOL) . I've never had panic attacks either. You have given me something to think about, though. We can agree to disagree :)

#10 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:58 AM

Sorry, Gemini, but I have to disagree that ingesting gluten is the only way to have a reaction.....my grandson was glutened playing with Play-dough, which contains wheat. It was absorbed through the pores of his skin. There would be no need for gluten-free detergents, or make-up or lotions, etc. I really don't worry about being glutened, but do have concerns for my grandson who has autism. When he gets glutoned he doesn't sleep, is violent, aggresive, all around uncontrollable and that lasts for about 3 days. Other than that, I don't think about it that much unless we are invited to dine places outside of my home, which has been gluten-free since 2006 (at least until this past week, LOL) . I've never had panic attacks either. You have given me something to think about, though. We can agree to disagree :)

It's perfectly OK to disagree but maybe I should make myself clearer. You cannot have a Celiac reaction to gluten unless it gets into your gut....that is proven medical fact. Gluten cannot be absorbed through the skin and I have done enough research and doctor questioning to know this is correct information. I also work in the science field. Having said that, I have no doubt your grandson was glutened from Play-dough but he most likely ingested it into his mouth...which would be almost a given with kids. They don't know any better and I'd like to see a kid who doesn't put his/her hands in their mouth or ingest Play-dough.

The reason there are gluten-free products is not because it can be absorbed but because there are many, many people with a topical allergy to wheat....which is a completely different horse than Celiac. If a person reacts with their skin after touching the offending agent, it's an allergy, not an intolerance and a person can have both. I think this is why people have a reaction and go crazy trying to figure it out.....they haven't learned the intricacies of CC and allergy vs. intolerance.
I have never bothered to use gluten-free topical products, although some of them are anyway, and I am ultra careful about not getting any into my mouth or nose. My blood work is awesome and I haven't been sick from a gluten problem in 4 years. It can be done but you have to know how CC occurs and the correct way to provoke a reaction so you can avoid one. There is a lot of confusion out there on this issue and that's why so many still have problems. I really am not trying to aggravate anyone but I have spent so much time getting this right and, from my personal experience, I have proven to myself that my information is correct.
I know people like to say that everyone is different but that reasoning doesn't fly. Medical facts are medical facts and if that where not correct, you would not be seeing medication that is formulated to be absorbed through the skin.....the science on that is good even if the diagnostic tools for Celiac are less than ideal.

I understand the autism thing also...I know people who have seen wonders happen with their autistic kids using the gluten-free diet. Also, isn't there gluten-free Play-dough? I thought someone posted something about that?

#11 sbj

sbj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:26 PM

I know that Gemini is correct. Think about it. If we could all get glutened just by smelling certain cooking odors then we would all have to live in bubbles! If topical gluten bothers you then please avoid it, but you have to ingest gluten to prompt the celiac autoimmune reaction (that includes the DH skin response). The gluten 'molecule' is simply too large to be absorbed through the skin.

#12 CeliacMom2008

CeliacMom2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:01 PM

I agree, Gemini. I would like to add that another possible need for gluten free lotions, soaps, etc. is that they can get ingested. Chapstick/lipstick being the most obvious, but even with lotions the chance for ingesting is there. You lotion up your hands then start making supper and touching all the food. Or your little one gets soap or shampoo in their mouth (my so used to LOVE to make bubble beards in the bathtub where his whole face was covered in bubblebath bubbles). So I think in those cases it isn't that you need the gluten-free products because of an allergy or the worry about it being absorbed, but more a problem with enough of it getting into your stomach through your mouth. But this would greatly vary by individual.

#13 bjn555

bjn555

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:49 PM

Thanks....I'll let our DAN doctor know he's been wrong. Perhaps I'm on the wrong website. Can anyone recommend a forum where one can reach out for help and a sense of camaraderie rather than one that seems to be quite argumentative? I am reminded of all those professionals who gave me every diagnosis except the one that actually helped. By the way....hang in there SGWhiskers...stay away from the hot gluten and flour aisles at the grocery! You actually encouraged me. I'm not the only one!

#14 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:53 PM

No one is being argumentative here, but rather being politely informative. We have a lot of people on this forum with a great deal of experience and I've been here for many years and there hasn't been a day when I haven't learned something. But, the most important thing that I have learned here, is to have an open mind.

This is a wonderful forum and the most supportive place I know. ;)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#15 home_based_mom

home_based_mom

Operation Christmas Child

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:22 PM

Perhaps this article from How Stuff Works will clarify things for you.

http://health.howstu...question139.htm

You should also show it to those who think they can dink around with substances that are poisonous to you and not have any negative consequences.

You are not imagining the symptoms and some people just don't get it. But they need to.

FWIW, a friend's son with a severe intolerance to casein went into anaphylactic shock because of an open package of cheese in an enclosed environment. He never even touched the stuff - but the fumes were in the air and that's all it took.

I read some time ago of a person with a severe shellfish allergy who actually died :o from inhaling the aroma of someone else's shrimp dinner.

Don't ever let anybody try to tell you that odors can't cause you problems!

Hope you get them straightened out soon!

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .
"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)
The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: