gluten-free Matzo Balls
Matzo balls are like a dumpling, traditionally served in chicken soup. The non gluten-free version is made with matzo meal - which is wheat based. This recipe uses ground oats - but I would try it with other gluten-free flour if you cannot tolerate oats.
4 TBSP rendered chicken fat (*you can use plain oil, but it's not nearly as good. I use Empire Kosher rendered chicken fat - prefrozen in tubs)
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup ground oats (* I grind my own in cuisinart)
3/4 cup dried potato flakes
1. Blend eggs and chicken fat (with fork, or with cuisinart)
2. Add dry ingredients, and mix
3. Cover and let sit in fridge for at least 30 minutes
4. Have briskly boiling water ready
5. Roll 1 1/2 inch balls from mixture using wet hands, drop into boiling water
6. When all balls are in water, use a long spoon to make sure none of the balls are stuck to the bottom of the pot
7. Cover pot with lid, and cook over medium heat for 35 minutes.
8. Using slotted spoon, transfer balls directly to soup, or to freeze for later use, transfer to waxpaper lined cookie sheet and freeze until hard, then transfer into ziplock freezer bags.
Makes about 11 matzo balls. Recipe can be easily doubled or halved.
No replies to this topic
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users