Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Lymph Nodes & Gluten Intolerance

11 posts in this topic

I just found out I have a gluten intolerance.I have a had tons of strange symptoms throughout life and I still ddont know for sure if all of them were because of a gluten problem.However, one of the main symptoms repeatedly throughout life was swollen lymph nodes all over my neck and sometimes in my chest.When I would get this I would have a headache a feel chills sometimes.I would sometimes have a slight stuffy nose ( or should I say it just felt like something in there) but nothing was.This would occur sometimes 2 times a month.Anyone else have symptoms like that?

Ads by Google:

Welcome to the group!

I had LOTS of swollen lymph nodes (especially in my neck) as a child. (I also had my tonsils taken out when I was three years old because they were severely inflamed.) It still happens sometimes when I get a cold. This kind of swelling is not uncommon. As long as the lymph nodes are "reactive," meaning that the swelling goes away on its own or with antibiotics, it's not considered dangerous.

Right now I have a lump in one of the lymph nodes in my neck that isn't going away. I had a biopsy that found no evidence of cancer (which is a possibility... and more common in people with gluten intolerance who are undiagnosed or don't follow the diet), but I'm still not exactly sure what it is. Unless the biopsy was wrong, it looks like it's going to be something weird... Castleman's disease, lupus, mastocytosis... I've been reading all kinds of crazy stuff. <_<

Gluten intolerance can affect sooooo many parts of your body. You'll be amazed what you learn if you hang around this place :rolleyes:

I find the lympth glands swell in my neck , just below the jaw line, and the area becomes real tender, then I end up with abcess in my back teeth, I also noticed the glands in my groin protrude, but they do go down, it normaly happens when I feel weak and worn out and stressed.

Welcome to the group!

I had LOTS of swollen lymph nodes (especially in my neck) as a child. (I also had my tonsils taken out when I was three years old because they were severely inflamed.) It still happens sometimes when I get a cold. This kind of swelling is not uncommon. As long as the lymph nodes are "reactive," meaning that the swelling goes away on its own or with antibiotics, it's not considered dangerous.

Right now I have a lump in one of the lymph nodes in my neck that isn't going away. I had a biopsy that found no evidence of cancer (which is a possibility... and more common in people with gluten intolerance who are undiagnosed or don't follow the diet), but I'm still not exactly sure what it is. Unless the biopsy was wrong, it looks like it's going to be something weird... Castleman's disease, lupus, mastocytosis... I've been reading all kinds of crazy stuff. <_<

Gluten intolerance can affect sooooo many parts of your body. You'll be amazed what you learn if you hang around this place :rolleyes:

Thanks for the response back....yes I am sure I will be reading even more crazy symptoms of Gluten intolerance...in fact I already have!

I have suffered from swollen lymph nodes on and off for about 12 months. I was looking at having a lymphatic drainage massage.....got put on the backburner because I simply have been well enough to go for one.

This forum is definitely a learning curve!

Yes! I spent most of my childhood with an enlarged lymph node on my neck. I had biopsies and everything, scared my parents half to death I'm sure thinking I had cancer. I've also had migraines since I was 5, and anemia. I've been on the diet almost 3 years now, and I just had a slew of blood tests that showed everything was within normal limits...which hasn't happened ever, lol. It's really nice to hear "normal" for a change!

I just found out I have a gluten intolerance.I have a had tons of strange symptoms throughout life and I still ddont know for sure if all of them were because of a gluten problem.However, one of the main symptoms repeatedly throughout life was swollen lymph nodes all over my neck and sometimes in my chest.When I would get this I would have a headache a feel chills sometimes.I would sometimes have a slight stuffy nose ( or should I say it just felt like something in there) but nothing was.This would occur sometimes 2 times a month.Anyone else have symptoms like that?

I have perpetually swollen lymph nodes, mostly the ones in my neck and under my arms. I too get really bad headaches, sinus drainage, drippy nose, coldness, and sometimes a fever. Although this happens intermittently, I have noticed that my lymph nodes get especially swollen and sensitive when I am grinding my teeth (I have TMJ.) I get a very dry scratchy throat, stiff neck, etc. I am not sure why this happens though. I would be interested in learning!

My lymph nodes do occasionally swell up, but will go away in less than a week. It really scares me when it does that. I am comforted to know that it isn't anything serious if they keep going a way. It only happens once every few months.

Mine swelled up a couple of years ago, and so did my spleen. My spleen had ruptured before but not been removed so it is a somewhat weak area of my body. They tested me twice for mono and both times it came back negative.

Wow! My 3yo daughter has had her lymph nodes swell off and on for the last year or so! They are swollen again now, along with this fever, 'allergy eyes', tummy aches, etc. I see that Live2BWell mentioned that she had fevers.....maybe this does all have to do with foods! I am SO anxious to get this figured out so I don't have to see my family suffering through these things!!

In people with celiac disease, the immune system is compromised when you ingest gluten, so its not unusual to get enlarged lymph nodes until the immune system is back to normal. I found that it took about a year for me not to be susceptible to every little virus/infection going around. I think this also has something to do with the villi healing because being able to absorb vitamins etc is important to the immune system.