10 replies to this topic

#1 Christina98

Christina98

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:32 PM

I just found out I have a gluten intolerance.I have a had tons of strange symptoms throughout life and I still ddont know for sure if all of them were because of a gluten problem.However, one of the main symptoms repeatedly throughout life was swollen lymph nodes all over my neck and sometimes in my chest.When I would get this I would have a headache a feel chills sometimes.I would sometimes have a slight stuffy nose ( or should I say it just felt like something in there) but nothing was.This would occur sometimes 2 times a month.Anyone else have symptoms like that?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mother of Jibril

Mother of Jibril

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:54 PM

Welcome to the group!

I had LOTS of swollen lymph nodes (especially in my neck) as a child. (I also had my tonsils taken out when I was three years old because they were severely inflamed.) It still happens sometimes when I get a cold. This kind of swelling is not uncommon. As long as the lymph nodes are "reactive," meaning that the swelling goes away on its own or with antibiotics, it's not considered dangerous.

Right now I have a lump in one of the lymph nodes in my neck that isn't going away. I had a biopsy that found no evidence of cancer (which is a possibility... and more common in people with gluten intolerance who are undiagnosed or don't follow the diet), but I'm still not exactly sure what it is. Unless the biopsy was wrong, it looks like it's going to be something weird... Castleman's disease, lupus, mastocytosis... I've been reading all kinds of crazy stuff. <_<

Gluten intolerance can affect sooooo many parts of your body. You'll be amazed what you learn if you hang around this place :rolleyes:
Gluten free 08/08
Son has IgE allergies to peanuts and corn
Hashimoto's, MCAD, pregnancy loss at 17 weeks
HLA-DQB1*0302 (celiac), HLA-DQB1*0301 (gluten sensitive)
Serological equivalent 3,3 (subtype 8,7)
Extensive family history of autoimmune disorders and related symptoms

#3 teemaree

teemaree

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:14 PM

I find the lympth glands swell in my neck , just below the jaw line, and the area becomes real tender, then I end up with abcess in my back teeth, I also noticed the glands in my groin protrude, but they do go down, it normaly happens when I feel weak and worn out and stressed.

#4 Christina98

Christina98

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 03:22 PM

Welcome to the group!

I had LOTS of swollen lymph nodes (especially in my neck) as a child. (I also had my tonsils taken out when I was three years old because they were severely inflamed.) It still happens sometimes when I get a cold. This kind of swelling is not uncommon. As long as the lymph nodes are "reactive," meaning that the swelling goes away on its own or with antibiotics, it's not considered dangerous.

Right now I have a lump in one of the lymph nodes in my neck that isn't going away. I had a biopsy that found no evidence of cancer (which is a possibility... and more common in people with gluten intolerance who are undiagnosed or don't follow the diet), but I'm still not exactly sure what it is. Unless the biopsy was wrong, it looks like it's going to be something weird... Castleman's disease, lupus, mastocytosis... I've been reading all kinds of crazy stuff. <_<

Gluten intolerance can affect sooooo many parts of your body. You'll be amazed what you learn if you hang around this place :rolleyes:

Thanks for the response back....yes I am sure I will be reading even more crazy symptoms of Gluten intolerance...in fact I already have!

#5 Mysh

Mysh

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:36 AM

I have suffered from swollen lymph nodes on and off for about 12 months. I was looking at having a lymphatic drainage massage.....got put on the backburner because I simply have been well enough to go for one.

This forum is definitely a learning curve!
~Michelle~
Mother to 3 wonderful children. :)
Diagnosed Celiac through bloodwork January 2009. Celiac confirmed through Biopsy August 2009.

Current symptoms include extreme lethargy, headaches, anaemia, severe joint pain, upset stomach, swollen lymph nodes, brain fog and shortness of breath. I have also had all my teeth crowned due to enamel erosion.

DS - Age 19 -diagnosed PDD-NOS. Not willing to be tested as yet.
DD - Age 17 - Negative IGA. Positive HLA DQ2 & HLA DQ5. Not gluten-free outside of home.
DS - Age 6 - diagnosed with ASD. Tested negative to blood tests. Still needs gene testing done. Born 11 weeks early due to severe IUGR.

All pregnancies have been pre-eclamptic.

#6 taweavmo3

taweavmo3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:32 AM

Yes! I spent most of my childhood with an enlarged lymph node on my neck. I had biopsies and everything, scared my parents half to death I'm sure thinking I had cancer. I've also had migraines since I was 5, and anemia. I've been on the diet almost 3 years now, and I just had a slew of blood tests that showed everything was within normal limits...which hasn't happened ever, lol. It's really nice to hear "normal" for a change!
Tamara, mom to 4 gluten & casein free kiddos!

Age 11 - Psoriasis
Age 8- dx'd Celiac March 2005
Age 6- gluten-free/cf, allergy related seizures
Age 4 - reflux, resolved with gluten-free/cf

#7 Live2BWell

Live2BWell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:37 PM

I just found out I have a gluten intolerance.I have a had tons of strange symptoms throughout life and I still ddont know for sure if all of them were because of a gluten problem.However, one of the main symptoms repeatedly throughout life was swollen lymph nodes all over my neck and sometimes in my chest.When I would get this I would have a headache a feel chills sometimes.I would sometimes have a slight stuffy nose ( or should I say it just felt like something in there) but nothing was.This would occur sometimes 2 times a month.Anyone else have symptoms like that?

I have perpetually swollen lymph nodes, mostly the ones in my neck and under my arms. I too get really bad headaches, sinus drainage, drippy nose, coldness, and sometimes a fever. Although this happens intermittently, I have noticed that my lymph nodes get especially swollen and sensitive when I am grinding my teeth (I have TMJ.) I get a very dry scratchy throat, stiff neck, etc. I am not sure why this happens though. I would be interested in learning!
*Jessica*
IgG + IgA + TtG -
Family History of Celiac
See 'about me' for more info
gluten-free Since: 11/02/08

#8 Switch2GF

Switch2GF

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:08 PM

My lymph nodes do occasionally swell up, but will go away in less than a week. It really scares me when it does that. I am comforted to know that it isn't anything serious if they keep going a way. It only happens once every few months.
Mike H.
Kansas City

#9 latteda

latteda

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:11 AM

Mine swelled up a couple of years ago, and so did my spleen. My spleen had ruptured before but not been removed so it is a somewhat weak area of my body. They tested me twice for mono and both times it came back negative.
Wheat free since June, 2000.
Gluten-free since April, 2009.

#10 MamaJo

MamaJo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 04:25 AM

Wow! My 3yo daughter has had her lymph nodes swell off and on for the last year or so! They are swollen again now, along with this fever, 'allergy eyes', tummy aches, etc. I see that Live2BWell mentioned that she had fevers.....maybe this does all have to do with foods! I am SO anxious to get this figured out so I don't have to see my family suffering through these things!!

#11 MDRB

MDRB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:08 PM

In people with celiac disease, the immune system is compromised when you ingest gluten, so its not unusual to get enlarged lymph nodes until the immune system is back to normal. I found that it took about a year for me not to be susceptible to every little virus/infection going around. I think this also has something to do with the villi healing because being able to absorb vitamins etc is important to the immune system.
Australian
Gluten Free Since mid March 2008
As well as gluten I can't eat: cantaloupe, honeydew, dairy and most nuts and seeds. I also seem to have a problem with a lot of fruits and vegetables but only when they are raw.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: