This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hot Chips? Whats The Story

UnhappyCoeliac

UnhappyCoeliac Enthusiast

So after starving all weekend and being offered everything from chips, to shapes to chicken parmas I held out, and starved it was not easy.

On the way home we find a hotel. I think SWEET i can finallyeat something that is not an apple a banana or a chocolate (country Victoria is not very coeliac friendly for the records there is sweet nothing to eat).

A steak and chips, it ruled, the chef knew i was celiac I told him I only wanted the chips if they could be gluten free and hge was apprently working on it... what are the chanes at a local country pub these chips were acutually gluten free?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
A steak and chips, it ruled, the chef knew i was celiac I told him I only wanted the chips if they could be gluten free and hge was apprently working on it... what are the chanes at a local country pub these chips were acutually gluten free?

It depends on whether the chef knows how to cook it gluten free. Do they cook foods other than the potatoes in the fryer? I have found one of the safest foods to order is a baked potato and a steak, chicken or fish that I request the chef to cook with only salt and pepper as seasoning in a seperate clean pan with clean utensils. Keeping my fingers crossed here that it was a safe meal.

Tallforagirl Rookie
So after starving all weekend and being offered everything from chips, to shapes to chicken parmas I held out, and starved it was not easy.

On the way home we find a hotel. I think SWEET i can finallyeat something that is not an apple a banana or a chocolate (country Victoria is not very coeliac friendly for the records there is sweet nothing to eat).

Potato chips are my last resort in a bind (I mean the ones in a packet). As long as they're plain salted ones they're usually okay, most of the other flavours have wheat or gluten. Plain or salted nuts should be okay too (check ingredient panel). And mini Babybel, they're good as a savoury snack.

A good clue as to whether hot chips will be okay is to check for battered deep fried items on the menu. If there are it's likely they're cooked in the same oil. But the only way to know for certain is to ask. I wouldn't ask the chef or waiter if the chips were gluten-free, I'd ask if they are fried seperately from other deep fried items, whether they make them fresh onsite (frozen chips can have wheat or malt based additives) and also make sure they serve them up plain without adding any "mystery" seasonings.

An alternative to chips is steamed veg or a plain salad, or as previous poster said, baked potato.

McDonalds is actually quite good for gluten-free items, suprisingly. Their fries are gluten-free and many other items are gluten-free if you ask for them without the bun.

Open Original Shared Link

mushroom Proficient
...and also make sure they serve them up plain without adding any "mystery" seasonings.

Yeah, like malt vinegar :lol: This is a real British idiosyncrasy. But then don't get me started on ketchup and chips!!

UnhappyCoeliac Enthusiast

so guys is there gluten in the actual fry or potato chip

or it only comes from the cooking of it? and contamination of oil

Archived