2 replies to this topic

#1 laluka

laluka

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:01 AM

Can anyone give me a few examples of foods which tend to be gluten free in Mexico? I am looking just for a starting place. I know that there will be variance from one place to the next. I am hoping to eat mostly in small, non-chain, non-hotel restaurants and don't know where to start. I basically stopped eating mexican food when I was diagnosed with celiac. Plus, it may be different up here anyway. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 OceanGirl78

OceanGirl78

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:07 AM

I went to Cancun a couple of years ago and actually found it VERY easy to eat there. From what I found, they use corn in everything instead of the gluten-y stuff that we use here in the US. I never got sick and they never made any modifications for me (I ate at big places in the touristy areas and at the little local places). Most Mexican places here use wheat instead of corn like they do in Mexico...

Have a fun trip and good luck!

Laurie

#3 CIMV

CIMV

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

Hi there, 

I know the post is old but this may be helpful to others.  Many corn tortillas (even here in Mexico) use some form of wheat as binder.  Be careful with that.  Ask for tortillas de maiz blanco.  Also don't overdo it because some of us do not do well with corn.  Remember, most corn on the market has been genetically modified so who knows what you are eating.  

Here are some stores that carry gluten-free.  Caution:  make sure you read the labels (of course) but especially on locally produced breads.  

Bionatural (5th avenue around 40th)

Organik Boutique (Playacar Phase 2) (on fb as Tienda Organica Playacar)

Walmart, Mega, Soriana and Chedraui are large supermarkets that carry some items.  

My best to all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: