This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Dandruff Shampoo

mouth

mouth Enthusiast

HEY DOES ANYBODY KNOW OF gluten-free DANDRUFF SHAMPOOS TO TRY?

HEAD AND SHOULDERS DID NOT HELP,

NEITHER DID SELSEN BLUE.

NIZORAL IS NOT TESTED.

NEUTROGENA I DONT THINK IS SAFE?? I COULD NOT GET A STRAIGHT ANSWER OUT OF THEM.. THEY TOLD ME TO USE THE DAILY DANDRUFF SHAMPOO AND I HAD THE PHARMACIST READ THE LABEL- TOO SMALL FOR ME GOOD THING I DID BECAUSE IT WAS NOT SAFE WHEAT PROTIENS WAS THE FRIST THING ON THE LIST

HELP!!!!!!! AND ITS BAD!

IT IS SO BAD THAT LAST WEEK A TEACHER BETWEEN CLASSES WENT TO THE SCHOOL NURSE AND TOLD HER THEY CALLED HER DOWN TO CK.. THE NURSE EVEN ASKED HER WHY WE WERE NOT TREATING IT AND MY DAUGHTER TOLD HER THAT WE HAVE TRIED MANY THINGS AND THAT NONE ARE HELPING! SO THE SEARCH CONTINUES. AND YES THE NURSE KNOWS THAT MY DAUGHTER IS gluten-free..

THE TEACHER MUST OF THOUGHT IT WAS BUGS! SHAME ON THEM.. I WAS SO ANGRY.. BUT ITS NOT LITTLE FLAKES- ITS ALMOST LIKE CHUNKS.. MY MUM SAYS IT ALMOST LOOKS LIKE CRADLE CAP- I KNOW USE BABY OIL BUT I CAN NOT COVER HER ENTIRE HEAD WITH BABY OIL!!!

*SIGHS*

ANY IDEAS OUT THERE?? PLEASE???????????

YOU CAN SEND ANSWERS HERE OR MY EMAIL WHICH IS ON MY PAGE

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient
HEY DOES ANYBODY KNOW OF gluten-free DANDRUFF SHAMPOOS TO TRY?

HEAD AND SHOULDERS DID NOT HELP,

NEITHER DID SELSEN BLUE.

NIZORAL IS NOT TESTED.

NEUTROGENA I DONT THINK IS SAFE?? I COULD NOT GET A STRAIGHT ANSWER OUT OF THEM.. THEY TOLD ME TO USE THE DAILY DANDRUFF SHAMPOO AND I HAD THE PHARMACIST READ THE LABEL- TOO SMALL FOR ME GOOD THING I DID BECAUSE IT WAS NOT SAFE WHEAT PROTIENS WAS THE FRIST THING ON THE LIST

HELP!!!!!!! AND ITS BAD!

IT IS SO BAD THAT LAST WEEK A TEACHER BETWEEN CLASSES WENT TO THE SCHOOL NURSE AND TOLD HER THEY CALLED HER DOWN TO CK.. THE NURSE EVEN ASKED HER WHY WE WERE NOT TREATING IT AND MY DAUGHTER TOLD HER THAT WE HAVE TRIED MANY THINGS AND THAT NONE ARE HELPING! SO THE SEARCH CONTINUES. AND YES THE NURSE KNOWS THAT MY DAUGHTER IS gluten-free..

THE TEACHER MUST OF THOUGHT IT WAS BUGS! SHAME ON THEM.. I WAS SO ANGRY.. BUT ITS NOT LITTLE FLAKES- ITS ALMOST LIKE CHUNKS.. MY MUM SAYS IT ALMOST LOOKS LIKE CRADLE CAP- I KNOW USE BABY OIL BUT I CAN NOT COVER HER ENTIRE HEAD WITH BABY OIL!!!

*SIGHS*

ANY IDEAS OUT THERE?? PLEASE???????????

YOU CAN SEND ANSWERS HERE OR MY EMAIL WHICH IS ON MY PAGE

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Sounds like a description of my head, only I have psoriasis. I would take her to a dermatologist for help. All I know is that nothing helps my head, unfortunately. I have white scales like an albino alligator that flake off and fall around me so that I look like a white Pigpen in Peanuts, because I have to scrape them off or they drive me crazy :lol: I have tried all the shampoos, prescription and non-prescription; use a daily preparation (non-oily) from a dermatologist, and they just persist. Sorry to not be more optimistic, but I think a dermatologist should check her out.

Juliebove Rising Star

I used Burt's Bees on my daughter, but... I found out she wasn't rinsing her hair well enough. A lot of what I thought was dandruff was dried shampoo! What we did for a while was to have her mix some baking powder through her hair prior to washing, to soak up the excess oil. Then shampoo for a full 60 seconds and rinse really well.

If this doesn't help, then you should talk her to a dermatologist. It could be some other problem.

mouth Enthusiast
Sounds like a description of my head, only I have psoriasis. I would take her to a dermatologist for help. All I know is that nothing helps my head, unfortunately. I have white scales like an albino alligator that flake off and fall around me so that I look like a white Pigpen in Peanuts, because I have to scrape them off or they drive me crazy :lol: I have tried all the shampoos, prescription and non-prescription; use a daily preparation (non-oily) from a dermatologist, and they just persist. Sorry to not be more optimistic, but I think a dermatologist should check her out.

THANKS SO MUCH

mouth Enthusiast
I used Burt's Bees on my daughter, but... I found out she wasn't rinsing her hair well enough. A lot of what I thought was dandruff was dried shampoo! What we did for a while was to have her mix some baking powder through her hair prior to washing, to soak up the excess oil. Then shampoo for a full 60 seconds and rinse really well.

If this doesn't help, then you should talk her to a dermatologist. It could be some other problem.

THANKS THATS WHAT I THOUGHT TOO. BUT EVEN IF I WASH HER HAIR AND LET ME TELL YOU A 15 YO DOESNT WANT THAT.. IT DIDNT HELP ANY EITHER. I GUESS ITS TIME FOR THE DERMO.. I HAVE NEVER SEEN IT SO BAD.. ITS LIKE CHUNKS!...

lovegrov Collaborator

I agree that it sounds like psoriasis. T-gel Extra has helped me a lot. I can't say whether or not it's gluten-free, but it doesn't matter to me.

richard

mouth Enthusiast
I agree that it sounds like psoriasis. T-gel Extra has helped me a lot. I can't say whether or not it's gluten-free, but it doesn't matter to me.

richard

Thanks Richard,

I had tried the T-Gel on her.. it had helped somewhat, but her hair is so fine we could actually see damage happening.. and major amounts of hair breakage after use of 1x a week!.. But thanks for helping..

Lynn

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 months later...
sarah ruth Newbie

my 7 yr old boy had this, teachers would think it was lice before they looked closely. I read somewhere that it's often yeast-related. We have had good success clearing it up (still has a little, but much less and it's continually diminishing) with him eating spoonfuls of extra-virgin coconut oil and putting it on his skin and occasionally scalp after a shower and giving his hair a good brush when it's wet (to loosen). When I've put it on his scalp he looks like a little grease slick, so it gets washed out before leaving the house! It's expensive stuff, but quite delicious.

Archived