11 replies to this topic

#1 Mya

Mya

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 03:09 PM

I was wondering if anyone has had experience at Applebees? I usually only get a salad anyway, but sometimes it has chicken or shrimp, would it be safe if I was to ask to make sure it wasnt basted or breaded with anything? Probably wouldnt be able to use dressing though, oh well, I can live without that. I guess this is a silly question seeing as I sort of answered it but I'm gonna post it anyway...
Self-diagnosed
Gluten-free since 3/15/05

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_NancyNet_*

Guest_NancyNet_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2005 - 03:43 PM

I was at Applebees last Saturday the 26th. I ordered a simple lime grilled chicken. I ended up having to leave fast as I felt really sick in minutes after just eating the chicken fillet. This is the first time this has happened to me in a long time, I am still suffering joint pains and intestinal upset. I don't think I will ever trust Applebee's again, there menu has changed for the worse lately and it is all prepared and covered with sauces or cheese just nothing simple and clear-cut to order there... hope that is a help... Good Luck, Nancy

#3 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 03:58 PM

Applebees is VERY not celiac friendly. I refuse to spend my money there.

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#4 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:49 PM

Indeed--the general consensus is that Applebees is unaccomodating. Try Outback Steakhouse :)

#5 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:53 PM

Yeah I was treated very bad when I went in there. I refuse to go there too. I love the outback you should try there sometime as celiac3270 suggested. :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#6 minibabe

minibabe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 06:26 PM

:D Have not tryed Applebees, but I had a wonderful experience at Ruby Tuesdays, they were very accomidating. I LOVE the outback, my boyfriend takes me there all the time. :D

#7 Mya

Mya

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 06:46 PM

Unfortunately I'm at school in Cortland NY, a very small town, we're lucky enough to have gotten an Applebees built last year, there is probably an Outback in Syracuse and there is a Ruby Tuesdays there as well, so the 40 min drive is well worth it in my opinion, thanks for all of the good advice!
Self-diagnosed
Gluten-free since 3/15/05

#8 ryebaby0

ryebaby0

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 06:24 AM

We haven't been to our Outback yet, since the Ruby Tuesday's in town has been so fabulous about accomodating our celiac half. The fries (at least at ours) are gluten-free and they make my DH/DS gorgeous bunless burgers and serve them with the foil still underneath them (the first time our server said "so you know we really did listen to you") with extra veggies to dress the plate. Of course, we tip ridiculously, which doesn't hurt!!
Mom/wife to celiacs dx 12/03 and 12/04

Success is never final and failure never fatal. It's courage that counts -George Tilton

#9 randbrod14

randbrod14

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 08:52 PM

I have eaten at Applebees and had no problem. I usually get the caesar salad (no croutons, of course) and ask for salmon rather than the chicken. I put wine vinegar and oil on my salad. Hope this helps.

#10 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 09:43 PM

Remember to talk to your server, the manager, and sometimes the chef about your condition. Just ordering something you know is gluten-free, like plain animals, doesn't mean that they will be careful not to crosscontaminate. They will know they are dealing with a serious issue rather than just regular food.

#11 sdore

sdore

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 04:10 PM

I have at at Applebees a few times. I always get their steak and have never have had a problem until last weekend. The steak tasted different, and well I got sick.

I have gotten their honey bbq (or something) chicken ppain with veggies and potatoes, and I did not gert sick.

#12 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2005 - 05:22 AM

Yes, Applebees is a no-no. I have tried a couple of times with the same reaction ~ SICK! :angry: What do you eat at Ruby Tuesdays?? Last time I ate there I thought they served me all gluten-free items, but I got SO sick afterwards. I am hesitant to go back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: