7 replies to this topic

#1 laluka

laluka

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:59 AM

Is it common for sour cream to contain gluten?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:03 AM

No. Plain sour cream is gluten-free.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 laluka

laluka

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:34 AM

I have had two separate restaurants say that they would leave off sour cream to make the food gluten free. Do you think that is that ignorance on their part or something else?
Laura

#4 Mike M

Mike M

Advanced Community Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:00 AM

I have had two separate restaurants say that they would leave off sour cream to make the food gluten free. Do you think that is that ignorance on their part or something else?
Laura

Not sure about "restaurant" sour cream. I can say that just plain ole store bought sour cream (like Daisey brand) with just the basic ingredients have never had gluten in it that I have seen. Same for Ice Cream (long as its not cookies and cream)....You know what I mean......Mike

P.S. Matter of fact, I have yet to find a positive for gluten in any dairy products, not saying it could not happen. My theory is that if a dairy product did get gluten in it while in the manufacturing process, they might have a real problem with molds/bacteria and such, so I think they are very sanitary in this part of the industry. FWIW

#5 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:00 PM

Laura

Without specifics it's difficult to say. What kind of restaurants? What kind of dishes? Sour cream contains no wheat. So I don't know why they would say such a thing for sour cream on a baked potato, or a taco/tostado.

As for sour cream chicken enchiladas (even with a corn tortilla), every tex mex restaraunt I've asked has said it contains wheat flour. I'm guessing the sour cream is whipped with flour to make it a fluffy sauce.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#6 Flo BInks

Flo BInks

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 07:05 AM

Is it common for sour cream to contain gluten?

where I live (Canada) it is common for sour cream to have starch. This is particularly likely for reduced calorie products. I don't take sour cream in restaurants.

Flo

#7 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:18 AM

Plain sour cream should be fine. Reduced-fat or non-fat versions may be thickened with some kind of starch, although it should say on the label what kind of starch. If it says "modified food starch" and doesn't say "wheat" anywhere on the label (behind the starch or as an allergy declaration) then you should be okay. Since you don't know what they use in the restaurant, you might want to skip it.
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#8 one more mile

one more mile

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:48 PM

you do need to check when you eat out though. because some sour cream has added things to it so that it stays firm under the heat lamps and does not get watery. I just ask the waitress. I seem to have a 50-50 shot when I eat out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: