This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hello Everyone, I'm New Here...

Guest jbugsly

Guest jbugsly

I just thought I'd introduce myself...I'm Jill, 24 yrs old. I was diagnosed with celiac when I was 2, it went into remission when I was 15, then a year ago it came out of remission. I also am alergic to corn (which is in everything!) so it can be difficult sometimes to find things to eat.

I think the hardest thing with celiac is trying to find time to cook my meals. I work full time, so my cooking normally happens on the weekends. I try to cook in large amounts so I can eat left overs during the week. I dont know about you guys, but I find that most of the time, my food tastes better than store bought. Plus I think if I eat another low carb burger I'll vomit :P I make my own bread in my breadmaker, I just made my first bisquits and gravy today!!! They didn't turn out too bad.

So just thought I'd say hi :D:D

P.S. anyone else allergic to corn?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Hello Jill!

Guest jbugsly

Howdy!!

I'm trying to figure out how to post my personal pic...I wont tell you what color my hair is :lol:

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Hello :D welcome to the board

I guess a question that pops into my mind is how could your celiac go to remission? Are you meaning that you could eat gluten?? Because once your a celiac your a celiac there is no remission. Symptoms or not damage will be done when you eat gluten.

There are alot of people here I think that can't tolerate corn. I can have corn but my mom is allergic to certain kinds of corn...she loves corn though.

sdore Enthusiast

Hello, I am new too!

angel-jd1 Community Regular

I have read that many people who are diagnosed at an early age have symptoms that go away during adolescence (puberty). This info would fit with you being 15 when you had what you call "remission". However with celiac, there is no remission. The symptoms may have temporarily went away, but you were still doing damage by eating gluten. :(

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Guest jbugsly

Hi Katie :) Yeah, it did go into remission...I could eat gluten for a couple WONDERFUL years. But then it came back out from remission. At least that's what my doctor's let me know.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest jbugsly

Hey there Sdore! We both registered today!

Jessica, sounds like you're right...I did not know that I was damaging myself. I'm glad that I'm back on the gluten-free diet, I certainly feel better :lol:

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Hi~

Sorry to tell you this but symptoms may go away over the years but that does not mean it is in remission. There is no such thing with celiac. Once you have it there is no getting rid of it the only way to control it is with a gluten free diet otherwise symptoms or not your intestines will be damaged. Many doctors don't have the proper knowledge about celiac.

I'm glad you are feeling better again :D

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Yep, you are on the right track now. ;)

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Hi Jill and Sdore,

Welcome to the board!!! There are a bunch of really great people here who are always willing to help (me included!! :D )

Jill, I just recently purchased my own bread machine and I must say I am having loads of fun with it!!! With the amount of bread I eat, it was well worth my while to purchase one instead of paying $6.00 a loaf.

Hope to see both of you posting soon!

Karen

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Yeah, Kaiti and Jessica are right. There is no remission. Couple of years ago doctors thought so, because they didn't know much about celiac. But they also thought all celiacs are skinny and must have diarrhea, which also isn't true. Now they know, that there can't be a remission with celiac. The symptoms can just disappear for some years starting with adolescence. But some doctors didn't keep up with the news, because they probably thought: 'Oh, it's so rare, so why should I inform myself.' Kinda stupid thinking <_< , but oh well... I guess that's why there are so many docs that aren't up to date.

But a hearty welcome to you on this message board.

Hugs, Stef

Uups, of course a big welcome to you also sdore. I almost didn't see you :lol:

Hugs, Stef

Canadian Karen Community Regular

You guys are right, once a celiac, always a celiac. :(

Thank goodness the doctors are starting to get their heads out of their ostrich holes and wake up to this disease. I went to my family doctor last week and during our discussions, she mentioned that she is now on the lookout much more for celiac than before, and that most doctors she knows now realize how underdiagnosed it is.... She also mentioned that in medical school, they were taught that it is a child's disease and to only check for it if they had distended bellies. <_< My, we have come a long way, eh???? ;)

Karen

(who is having way too much fun with these emoticons..... ;)

Guest jbugsly

Wow!! I have only been on this board for one day and I have learned SO much. I am shocked to think that I was obliviously damaging my body for all those years :blink: Thank you everybody SO much for your help and for welcoming me :D

I just LOVE my bread machine Canadian Karen! The bread tastes so much better!

Well I better go to bed! Gotta work tomorrow morning...everyone have a good night!

@ jbugsly: You're so right. Bread tastes so much better, once you have your own bread machine. I would take bread from the health shop anymore, if they'd pay me for it :lol:

Good night then, Stef

Guest jbugsly

Good morning everyone :D

Hey Steph the kicking cutie, I noticed your picture your a karate gal. Can I ask what style? I took Karate for 9 yrs, I am only one rank away from my black belt. I take Okinowan Shorin Ru (hope I spelled that right :rolleyes: )

luvs2eat Collaborator

Welcome from me too!

How does one find out they're in remission? I have a long list of foods/drinks I'd have if I wasn't celiac disease... haha... I'd start at the top of that list and keep going till my remission was over!

Yea, I know I'm fooling myself. But it's a nice dream... of a Pizza Hut stuffed crust pizza and a tall frosty beer...

@ jbugsly: I started Shotokan Karate, one of the more famous karate styles (at least in germany), when I was 9 years old. I'm 28 now. And I added kickboxing, when I was 17, which became my absolute favorite immidiately those days (and stayed until today). In my eyes, it's much better then the "old" non-contact karate styles (Shotokan is one of the non-contact styles, other styles can be different), because you actually hit the target and you learn to moderate or stop your kick as well as hit it with an "umph" and not just kick around in the air and probably hurt your joints also with that. So you get a better feeling for fighting. And I still practice and teach both every day (I'm actually still an active competitor. The "grandma" among the competition women so to speak :lol: ) and notice the huge difference all the time. I also compete in musical freestyle forms and musical weapons forms (with the Bo now, it were the Kamas before). Musical forms came from the traditional katas in karate. Another evidence that kickboxing comes from karate and not thaiboxing (despite the name).

The suit you see in the picture isn't a karate gi, it's a kickboxing suit. The difference is the color, a karate gi is white. The reason why it looks so much like karate, is, because it actually IS :blink: karate. Well, the top with the "V-neck" in that pic, that I'm wearing is normally known for a Taekwon Do suit top. The karate jackets (as you might know) have two sides which overlap each other in the front, not the "V-neck". In the school where I learnt kickboxing, only our actual black belts were allowed to wear a "real" karate top. The color belts had to wear the Taekwon Do tops, to show that they're on their way to a black belt in karate/kickboxing. Kickboxing is also called the modern karate or sports karate. It's karate with gloves. A lot of people (laymen) don't know that. Kickboxing doesn't come from thaiboxing as a lot of people think cause of the name and the false explanations found in books and internet. It was founded by americans. Thaiboxing comes from Thailand, kickboxing from the USA. Actually it was Joe Lewis, who started it. 1964 he came to Okinawa with the US Marines and learnt karate from Shimabukuro Eizo, John Korab and Kinjo Kinsoku. He was also the student of Nakamura Shigeru who mentioned the term "full-contact" for the first time. Well, this "full-contact" was brought back to the USA as "kickboxing" with Joe Lewis, who became the first "full-contact" (kickboxing) world champion 1974 in Los Angeles. I don't mean the contact karate world champions before 1974, like Mike Stone, i'm talking about the full-contact karate/kickboxing. Until then everybody in the USA had used the term karate at the tournaments. So it's the "old" karate moves, just converted into high stances and a few things changed. The only things, that come from the thaiboxing are the rules, like for competition. But other than that it's karate. The first big (modern) karate/kickboxing fighters were: Chuck Norris (the actor), Bill "Superfoot" Wallace (Bill is great. I met him in germany where he taught us a few things. He acted with Bruce Lee and in some other movies.), Alan Steen and Mike Stone. They helped to make the modern sports karate/kickboxing very popular.

Our kickboxing style which I practice is called "All-Style-Karate" and in fact our style came from a shotokan karate school in germany, but not the one I trained in before. Kind of ironic :P , but well. Some kickboxing style don't only come from karate anymore. In some cases taekwon do is also mixed in there. It mixed so much during the last couple of years, it's amazing...

The Karate style you trained is called Okinawan Shorin Ryu and the Shorin Ryu was actually founded by Matsumura Sokon. I don't know, if that's the Okinawan Shorin Ryu or not. It doesn't say in my study books. You might be able to tell me ;)

Well, sorry that this is so long now, but I actually didn't really go into depth, cause then it would be 5 pages long. But I hoped, I could give you some information.

Hugs, Stef

mom Rookie

Hello to Jill and Sdore

I have learned a lot from this forum and I look forward to hearing from you guys. So welcome to the group!

MOM :D:rolleyes:

doordb Newbie

Also new at this and haven't quite figure it out yet... I found out I have Celiac just 4 months ago...

gabrielle Contributor

Hi Jill and Sdore!!!!

I am fairly new to this too, but these people on here are so smart and they can really help you understand your disease. I've learned more here in a week then i did talking to doctor's for 2 months. I hope you both are feeling better!!

Stay Healthy!!! :D

Archived