21 replies to this topic

#16 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 07:59 PM

@ jbugsly: You're so right. Bread tastes so much better, once you have your own bread machine. I would take bread from the health shop anymore, if they'd pay me for it :lol:

Good night then, Stef
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Guest_jbugsly_*

Guest_jbugsly_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2005 - 06:08 AM

Good morning everyone :D

Hey Steph the kicking cutie, I noticed your picture your a karate gal. Can I ask what style? I took Karate for 9 yrs, I am only one rank away from my black belt. I take Okinowan Shorin Ru (hope I spelled that right :rolleyes: )

#18 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 10:02 AM

Welcome from me too!

How does one find out they're in remission? I have a long list of foods/drinks I'd have if I wasn't celiac disease... haha... I'd start at the top of that list and keep going till my remission was over!

Yea, I know I'm fooling myself. But it's a nice dream... of a Pizza Hut stuffed crust pizza and a tall frosty beer...
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#19 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 11:15 AM

@ jbugsly: I started Shotokan Karate, one of the more famous karate styles (at least in germany), when I was 9 years old. I'm 28 now. And I added kickboxing, when I was 17, which became my absolute favorite immidiately those days (and stayed until today). In my eyes, it's much better then the "old" non-contact karate styles (Shotokan is one of the non-contact styles, other styles can be different), because you actually hit the target and you learn to moderate or stop your kick as well as hit it with an "umph" and not just kick around in the air and probably hurt your joints also with that. So you get a better feeling for fighting. And I still practice and teach both every day (I'm actually still an active competitor. The "grandma" among the competition women so to speak :lol: ) and notice the huge difference all the time. I also compete in musical freestyle forms and musical weapons forms (with the Bo now, it were the Kamas before). Musical forms came from the traditional katas in karate. Another evidence that kickboxing comes from karate and not thaiboxing (despite the name).

The suit you see in the picture isn't a karate gi, it's a kickboxing suit. The difference is the color, a karate gi is white. The reason why it looks so much like karate, is, because it actually IS :blink: karate. Well, the top with the "V-neck" in that pic, that I'm wearing is normally known for a Taekwon Do suit top. The karate jackets (as you might know) have two sides which overlap each other in the front, not the "V-neck". In the school where I learnt kickboxing, only our actual black belts were allowed to wear a "real" karate top. The color belts had to wear the Taekwon Do tops, to show that they're on their way to a black belt in karate/kickboxing. Kickboxing is also called the modern karate or sports karate. It's karate with gloves. A lot of people (laymen) don't know that. Kickboxing doesn't come from thaiboxing as a lot of people think cause of the name and the false explanations found in books and internet. It was founded by americans. Thaiboxing comes from Thailand, kickboxing from the USA. Actually it was Joe Lewis, who started it. 1964 he came to Okinawa with the US Marines and learnt karate from Shimabukuro Eizo, John Korab and Kinjo Kinsoku. He was also the student of Nakamura Shigeru who mentioned the term "full-contact" for the first time. Well, this "full-contact" was brought back to the USA as "kickboxing" with Joe Lewis, who became the first "full-contact" (kickboxing) world champion 1974 in Los Angeles. I don't mean the contact karate world champions before 1974, like Mike Stone, i'm talking about the full-contact karate/kickboxing. Until then everybody in the USA had used the term karate at the tournaments. So it's the "old" karate moves, just converted into high stances and a few things changed. The only things, that come from the thaiboxing are the rules, like for competition. But other than that it's karate. The first big (modern) karate/kickboxing fighters were: Chuck Norris (the actor), Bill "Superfoot" Wallace (Bill is great. I met him in germany where he taught us a few things. He acted with Bruce Lee and in some other movies.), Alan Steen and Mike Stone. They helped to make the modern sports karate/kickboxing very popular.

Our kickboxing style which I practice is called "All-Style-Karate" and in fact our style came from a shotokan karate school in germany, but not the one I trained in before. Kind of ironic :P , but well. Some kickboxing style don't only come from karate anymore. In some cases taekwon do is also mixed in there. It mixed so much during the last couple of years, it's amazing...

The Karate style you trained is called Okinawan Shorin Ryu and the Shorin Ryu was actually founded by Matsumura Sokon. I don't know, if that's the Okinawan Shorin Ryu or not. It doesn't say in my study books. You might be able to tell me ;)

Well, sorry that this is so long now, but I actually didn't really go into depth, cause then it would be 5 pages long. But I hoped, I could give you some information.

Hugs, Stef
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#20 mom

mom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 05:23 PM

Hello to Jill and Sdore

I have learned a lot from this forum and I look forward to hearing from you guys. So welcome to the group!

MOM :D :rolleyes:

#21 doordb

doordb

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 05:28 PM

Also new at this and haven't quite figure it out yet... I found out I have Celiac just 4 months ago...

#22 gabrielle

gabrielle

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:07 PM

Hi Jill and Sdore!!!!

I am fairly new to this too, but these people on here are so smart and they can really help you understand your disease. I've learned more here in a week then i did talking to doctor's for 2 months. I hope you both are feeling better!!

Stay Healthy!!! :D
Gabrielle
Lancaster, Pennsylvania

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: