This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Biocard Celiac Test - Is It Accurate?

Katea

Katea Rookie

Hi,

I have just done the Biocard test and it resulted 'negative'. Can this be reliable?

I have long been suffering from GI problems and was diagnosed with IBS about 9 years ago. Since around 2007 I have also been diagnosed with sinusitis and asthma, for which I receive inhalers and steroid spray. I have also been diagnosed with iron deficiency anaemia and have been taking Ferrous Sulphate tablets for about 3 years (as level seems to be stable with them). I have had a rash on my back and abdomen for years. It is not like the pictures of DH that I have seen on the net nevertheless it is a permanent eczma, which is very itchy. I also suffer from dry eyes and mouth though I tested negative to rheumatoid arthritis blood tests this summer (but had higher than the indicated range of aspartate tranferase?).

As the above seem to be consistent with gluten intolerance and coeliac I decided to exclude gluten and started to feel better after a few days (though had a few accidents since). I was off gluten for at least 4 consecutive days last week, had an accident last Saturday (severe reaction including stubbing, open wound pains in my bowel) and again on Tuesday. I decided to eact gluten bread yesterday evening and this morning. I did the test this lunchtime.

Is it possible that the test result may not be accurate (I got the control line appear)? Is it still possible that I may be coeliac but either the test was faulty or the recent reduction in gluten intake caused it?

I look forward to hearing your opinion!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

If you suspect gluten is the cause of your concerns. I suggest a full Serologic Celiac Panel. This is what you doctor should order:

Anti-gliadin antibodies (AGA) both IgA and IgG

Anti-endomysial antibodies (EMA) - IgA

Anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies (tTG) - IgA

Total IgA level.

Michi8 Contributor

Biocard has its limitations. If you are IgA deficient, then a negative result on the Biocard test would be inconclusive. Best to have the full celiac panel run by a lab.

Michelle

nora-n Rookie

About your rash. sounds like DH, because of your other symptoms, and because it is itchy.

If you can get it biopsied during an outbreak, then you are celiac too, officially.

DH is caused by the ttg3 antibody, as opposed to ttg2 in celiac.

The ttg-test does not pick up ttg3, only ttg2.

Gluten ataxia is caused by ttg6, and I have not seen tests for that either.

The biopsy must be taken from halthy skin, as the IgA is used up in the lesions, and during an outbreak.

nora

Lisa Mentor

DH result as a response to gluten intake and develops on the skin . Celiac Disease results as an autoimmune response in the small intestines. They have many common denominators, but yet are different.

• 2 years later...
Totalnewbie Newbie

Hi Lisa,

I am so glad that I have found your post. I have spent countless hours trying to find the best test for gluten intolerance/sensitivity but they seem to be not very accurate.

Would you say that the full Serologic Celiac Panel is my best bet? If the results come back normal then does it mean that I am 100% OK or still there could be some issues that the test did not detect? Are there any other tests that I should take to get sure 100% that I do not have any gluten issues or full Serologic Celiac Panel is all that I need?

BTW is gluten intolerance and gluten sensitivity the same thing?

Thank you very much in advance.

Alina

If you suspect gluten is the cause of your concerns. I suggest a full Serologic Celiac Panel. This is what you doctor should order:

Anti-gliadin antibodies (AGA) both IgA and IgG

Anti-endomysial antibodies (EMA) - IgA

Anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies (tTG) - IgA

Total IgA level.

Lisa Mentor

Hi Lisa,

I am so glad that I have found your post. I have spent countless hours trying to find the best test for gluten intolerance/sensitivity but they seem to be not very accurate.

Would you say that the full Serologic Celiac Panel is my best bet? If the results come back normal then does it mean that I am 100% OK or still there could be some issues that the test did not detect? Are there any other tests that I should take to get sure 100% that I do not have any gluten issues or full Serologic Celiac Panel is all that I need?

BTW is gluten intolerance and gluten sensitivity the same thing?

Thank you very much in advance.

Alina

Hi and Welcome! Here is some current information for you, which you might find helpful:

https://www.celiac.com/categories/Celiac-Disease-Diagnosis%2C-Testing-%26amp%3B-Treatment-%28Gluten%252dFree-Diet%29/

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Totalnewbie Newbie

Hi Lisa,

I did look at the link and the articles but I do not see any definitive, straightforward info there.

Does the fact that you directed me somewhere else mean that the full Serologic Celiac Panel is not a comprehensive test? What is the best test(s) then?

Also I am still confused if gluten intolerance, gluten sensitivity and celiac are the same thing and if the same test(s) are used for all of them.

I appreciate your help in that regard.

Thank you.

Alina

Hi and Welcome! Here is some current information for you, which you might find helpful:

https://www.celiac.com/categories/Celiac-Disease-Diagnosis%2C-Testing-%26amp%3B-Treatment-%28Gluten%252dFree-Diet%29/

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Aventine
    Newest Member
    Aventine
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Anmol
      Thanks this is helpful. Couple of follow -ups- that critical point till it stays silent is age dependent or dependent on continuing to eat gluten. In other words if she is on gluten-free diet can she stay on silent celiac disease forever?    what are the most cost effective yet efficient test to track the inflammation/antibodies and see if gluten-free is working . 
    • trents
      Welcome to the community forum, @Anmol! There are a number of blood antibody tests that can be administered when diagnosing celiac disease and it is normal that not all of them will be positive. Three out of four that were run for you were positive. It looks pretty conclusive that you have celiac disease. Many physicians will only run the tTG-IGA test so I applaud your doctor for being so thorough. Note, the Immunoglobulin A is not a test for celiac disease per se but a measure of total IGA antibody levels in your blood. If this number is low it can cause false negatives in the individual IGA-based celiac antibody tests. There are many celiacs who are asymptomatic when consuming gluten, at least until damage to the villous lining of the small bowel progresses to a certain critical point. I was one of them. We call them "silent" celiacs".  Unfortunately, being asymptomatic does not equate to no damage being done to the villous lining of the small bowel. No, the fact that your wife is asymptomatic should not be viewed as a license to not practice strict gluten free eating. She is damaging her health by doing so and the continuing high antibody test scores are proof of that. The antibodies are produced by inflammation in the small bowel lining and over time this inflammation destroys the villous lining. Continuing to disregard this will catch up to her. While it may be true that a little gluten does less harm to the villous lining than a lot, why would you even want to tolerate any harm at all to it? Being a "silent" celiac is both a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing in the sense of being able to endure some cross contamination in social settings without embarrassing repercussions. It's a curse in that it slows down the learning curve of avoiding foods where gluten is not an obvious ingredient, yet still may be doing damage to the villous lining of the small bowel. GliadinX is helpful to many celiacs in avoiding illness from cross contamination when eating out but it is not effective when consuming larger amounts of gluten. It was never intended for that purpose. Eating out is the number one sabotager of gluten free eating. You have no control of how food is prepared and handled in restaurant kitchens.  
    • knitty kitty
      Forgot one... https://www.hormonesmatter.com/eosinophilic-esophagitis-sugar-thiamine-sensitive/
    • trents
      Welcome to the forum community, @ekelsay! Yes, your tTG-IGA score is strongly positive for celiac disease. There are other antibody tests that can be run when diagnosing celiac disease but the tTG-IGA is the most popular with physicians because it combines good sensitivity with good specificity, and it is a relatively inexpensive test to perform. The onset of celiac disease can happen at any stage of life and the size of the score is not necessarily an indicator of the progress of the disease. It is likely that you you experienced onset well before you became aware of symptoms. It often takes 10 years or more to get a diagnosis of celiac disease after the first appearance of symptoms. In my case, the first indicator was mildly elevated liver enzymes that resulted in a rejection of my blood donation by the Red Cross at age 37. There was no GI discomfort at that point, at least none that I noticed. Over time, other lab values began to get out of norm, including decreased iron levels. My PCP was at a complete loss to explain any of this. I finally scheduled an appointment with a GI doc because the liver enzymes concerned me and he tested me right away for celiac disease. I was positive and within three months of gluten free eating my liver enzymes were back to normal. That took 13 years since the rejection of my blood donation by the Red Cross. And my story is typical. Toward the end of that period I had developed some occasional diarrhea and oily stool but no major GI distress. Many celiacs do not have classic GI symptoms and are "silent" celiacs. There are around 200 symptoms that have been associated with celiac disease and many or most of them do not involve conscious GI distress. Via an autoimmune process, gluten ingestion triggers inflammation in the villous lining of the small bowel which damages it over time and inhibits the ability of this organ to absorb the vitamins and minerals in the food we ingest. So, that explains why those with celiac disease often suffer iron deficiency anemia, osteoporosis and a host of other vitamin and mineral deficiency related medical issues. The villous lining of the small bowel is where essentially all of our nutrition is absorbed. So, yes, anemia is one of the classic symptoms of celiac disease. One very important thing you need to be aware of is that your PCP may refer you to a GI doc for an endoscopy/biopsy of the small bowel lining to confirm the results of the blood antibody testing. So, you must not begin gluten free eating until that is done or at least you know they are going to diagnose you with celiac disease without it. If you start gluten free eating now there will be healing in the villous lining that will begin to take place which may compromise the results of the biopsy.
    • Anmol
      Hello all- my wife was recently diagnosed with Celiac below are her blood results. We are still absorbing this.  I wanted to seek clarity on few things:  1. Her symptoms aren't extreme. She was asked to go on gluten free diet a couple years ago but she did not completely cut off gluten. Partly because she wasn't seeing extreme symptoms. Only bloating and mild diarrhea after a meal full of gluten.  Does this mean that she is asymptomatic but enormous harm is done with every gram of gluten.? in other words is amount gluten directly correlated with harm on the intestines? or few mg of gluten can be really harmful to the villi  2. Why is she asymptomatic?  3. Is Gliadin X safe to take and effective for Cross -contamination or while going out to eat?  4. Since she is asymptomatic, can we sometimes indulge in a gluten diet? ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Deamidated Gliadin, IgG - 64 (0-19) units tTG IgA -  >100 (0-3) U/ml tTG IgG - 4   (0-5) Why is this in normal range? Endomysial Antibody - Positive  Immunoglobulin A - 352 (87-352) ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Thanks for help in advance, really appreciate!