#1 sillyken

sillyken

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 06:20 PM

Hi guys,

I saw this add about Expandex in the recent Living Without mag and was wondering how it has worked for folks? It looks like it should make things even more like it's wheat equivalent.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 JennyC

JennyC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:17 PM

I have some, and I'm not sure it makes a big difference. It's hard to say for sure because I am always trying new recipes. ;) It's worth a try!
Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.
Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

#3 CeliacMom2008

CeliacMom2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:48 PM

A local bakery by us uses it and their cookies are good, but I can't say that is from the Expandex. Can't say that it isn't either...

#4 JennyC

JennyC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:07 AM

We should do a test in which we bake one batch of cookies with expandex added and the other batch with regular tapioca flour and see how they turn out! :D I keep buying the stuff...but I'm not totally sure it's worth the money.
Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.
Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

#5 sillyken

sillyken

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:13 AM

We should do a test in which we bake one batch of cookies with expandex added and the other batch with regular tapioca flour and see how they turn out! :D I keep buying the stuff...but I'm not totally sure it's worth the money.

Good idea Jenny. I haven't bought any yet but if you try the experiment tell me what you think.

#6 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:22 AM

The one thing that I noticed with the Expandex, is that it comprises a considerable portion of the recipe. I haven't tried it, but it sure seems expensive. I'm also not really sure I like the idea of a modified starch. Sounds sorta artificial.

Orgran makes a gluten substitute which I've been wondering about too.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#7 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:54 PM

Hi guys,

I saw this add about Expandex in the recent Living Without mag and was wondering how it has worked for folks? It looks like it should make things even more like it's wheat equivalent.

I use in gluten-free Pantry bread mix, but it makes only a little difference. I add a few tablespoons into the
flour mixture and increase water by maybe a tablespoon.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#8 candrews

candrews

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:19 PM

Expandex is in Jules Gluten Free flour and works great for me--my baked goods are lighter and fluffier. Also, they last longer because of Expandex's long shelf life--so I can bake ahead of time for once. (They now offer sample packs very cheaply to test out the product.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: