This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

A Dissapointing First gluten-free V-day Party For Ds

missy'smom

missy'smom Collaborator

I feel so sorry for kiddo. He came home looking so down. When I asked him what was up, he showed me the bucket of cocokrispy treats that I made and sent in and said only 3 people tried them. "Everyone" said they looked yucky! He gave some to the kids on the bus and neighborhood kids on the way home from the bus stop and they said they were good. I counted and he was right about the numbers. He said that he didn't tell them they were gluten-free. I don't get it, what's so unusual about cocokrispy treats? Maybe they're just being mean or stubborn. The same ones tend to give him a hard time, I think, in part because of some of the manifestations of the ADHD in the past. Maybe they're so used to the same old stuff. I told him we'd take the rest to church on Sun.to share but he really didn't want to. I'll take them anyway. He's been pretty brave about being 100% gluten-free now and even more accepting than many adults. We'll have to find some "normal" things next time. Maybe I'm out of touch with what people, esp. kids eat these days.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

That's too bad. I learned a long time ago, kids won't eat anything I make because they assume it is something "special" and will be weird in some way. We just get Skittles or Nerds. Most kids seem to like them and they are normal.

dandelionmom Enthusiast

I'm sorry. :(

My daughter just brings in non food treats now and those seem to go over well.

missy'smom Collaborator

After talking some more with him, I remembered that people at his school always send the same things-nothing homemade except an occasional pan of brownies from a box mix, chips, grocery store bakery sugar cookies, sodas and candy. Birthdays are always grocery store bakery cupcakes or cake which get half-eaten and tossed. We have a local bakery that will make gluten-free birthday cakes with all the fancy decals/characters that look like reg. ones and I was planning to get one for his party but maybe not now. Honestly, gluten-free or not, I wouldn't usually be sending in any of that stuff. Maybe we'll send in ice cream bars for his birthday.

AMQmom Explorer

I am sorry to hear about your child's experience! My daughter's second grade class all enjoyed their Koala Krisp cereal treats and Jell-O jigglers today. I did cut them all out in heart shapes and arrange them on plates. No comments about being different food. There were two boys in her class that picked on the food for a little while during previous parties because they are good friends and one had to not eat snack one day because he took in something with peanuts and mine also has a peanut allergy - little kid "get-back" stuff. They don't know better. This party, they didn't even complain. I have had great success with brownies and sugar cookies - gluten free in the classroom. Today I had multiple kids compliment me on snacks - I think a lot has to do with presentation for kids. Also, when you bake, sift the mix or flour a few times before mixing - makes a huge difference in the end product. I know that my daughter was crushed when just a couple of the kids commented on her food/treats being different, so I really feel for you and you child! Don't give up! Private message me if you want some of my recipes. .. Store bought is also a good option, like you mentioned. It is all about the child not feeling out of place!

missy'smom Collaborator

The Koala Krisp is what we used too and I cut them smaller than usual. Maybe age has something to do with it as well. I don't know. My son's 10. Next year when he's in middle school I'll have to find out what standard teen fare is. gluten-free or not, we eat so differently from alot of people. His lunches are very different and he gets comments but he doesn't care because he really likes the food I send. The party was different though. He was hurt too because his teacher, who he really likes, didn't try one when one was offered.

Desparately Sad Mom Newbie
I feel so sorry for kiddo. He came home looking so down. When I asked him what was up, he showed me the bucket of cocokrispy treats that I made and sent in and said only 3 people tried them. "Everyone" said they looked yucky! He gave some to the kids on the bus and neighborhood kids on the way home from the bus stop and they said they were good. I counted and he was right about the numbers. He said that he didn't tell them they were gluten-free. I don't get it, what's so unusual about cocokrispy treats? Maybe they're just being mean or stubborn. The same ones tend to give him a hard time, I think, in part because of some of the manifestations of the ADHD in the past. Maybe they're so used to the same old stuff. I told him we'd take the rest to church on Sun.to share but he really didn't want to. I'll take them anyway. He's been pretty brave about being 100% gluten-free now and even more accepting than many adults. We'll have to find some "normal" things next time. Maybe I'm out of touch with what people, esp. kids eat these days.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Desparately Sad Mom Newbie

You ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY must try Cherrybrook Farms allergen free chocolate cake mix and sugar cookie mix. My daughter is a hit wherever she goes with these 2 items. I put the cake mix which really is fabulous (moist, delicious and chocolately) into cupcake tins and she takes them everywhere. The sugar cookies I roll in purple,blue or green colored sugar and they are great! They even just came out with a chocolate and a vanilla jar of frosting which are fabulous! My daughter can't have gluten,dairy , soy (although she is Ok with soy lecithin) or eggs and believe me, you don't feel like any of those ingredients are missing from this companies delicious treats! They even have already made mini chocolate chip cookies that happen to be yummy! Best of Luck!

GFqueen17 Contributor
You ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY must try Cherrybrook Farms allergen free chocolate cake mix and sugar cookie mix. My daughter is a hit wherever she goes with these 2 items. I put the cake mix which really is fabulous (moist, delicious and chocolately) into cupcake tins and she takes them everywhere. The sugar cookies I roll in purple,blue or green colored sugar and they are great! They even just came out with a chocolate and a vanilla jar of frosting which are fabulous! My daughter can't have gluten,dairy , soy (although she is Ok with soy lecithin) or eggs and believe me, you don't feel like any of those ingredients are missing from this companies delicious treats! They even have already made mini chocolate chip cookies that happen to be yummy! Best of Luck!

Totally agree. Their chocolate cake with their chocolate frosting is just as good if not better than regular store bought cakes...my gluten eating sister and father agree

AMQmom Explorer

I read your latest post and I have to agree with the last writers - for his age, go with the chocolate cake and brownie, etc! Again, I am sooo sorry about this recent disappointment. Gluten free items are getting tastier and more available now - you will find a class tradition that will work for you!!! Best of luck!

missy'smom Collaborator

Thanks to everyone for the responses and advice. It was harder on both of us more than expected. It helped to talk about it with other parents who understand. Thank you for the suggestions. We'll keep it in mind. My son doesn't like chocolate too much and not brownies. He's a vanilla or not sweet dark chocolate kind of guy. We usually send in pudding cups and a spray can of whipped cream but silly me, I wanted to do something nice and homemade and different from what we usually send. I've helped with a few parties in the past and they always have too much of each item because everyone sends the same stuff, so it gets thrown away or sent back home.

I hate gluten Apprentice

I had a cruddy Valentines for my son also. He is 5 and we made a red and white plate of food for him to eat (string cheese, jello, strawberry, grapes ect) He did great until all the kids won mm cookies for playing a game. It broke his heart when he could not eat it. What can you say. All you can do is be there. Then he snuck off and ate the cookies any way. Major regresion the last 2 day. I can not say I blame him, he just wants to be like everyone else again.

jmjsmomma Apprentice

I am so sorry that he had a hard time. That just breaks my heart. This was my 5 year olds first Gluten free Valentine's Day.....he's only been gluten-free for a month and is only in preschool two half days. We kept it simple and put a bite sized Snickers or a small bag of Skittles with his cards. I know hard times are coming, but my son, like yours handles it very well.....

Archived