This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Walmart Spices

Gfresh404

Gfresh404 Enthusiast

Just be careful, I am fairly certain I had a gluten reaction to their black pepper that came in a duo combo with salt. I thought Walmart was one of the "good" companies..

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
Just be careful, I am fairly certain I had a gluten reaction to their black pepper that came in a duo combo with salt. I thought Walmart was one of the "good" companies..

What is listed as ingredients, other than salt and pepper?

Gfresh404 Enthusiast
What is listed as ingredients, other than salt and pepper?

Nothing it just says black pepper.. might just be a CC issue.

Lisa Mentor
Nothing it just says black pepper.. might just be a CC issue.

Doubtful, yet oddly possible. There is no guarantee that anything is 100% gluten free or free of contaminants.

Elsewhere would be more likely to have caused your issues.

Gfresh404 Enthusiast
Doubtful, yet oddly possible. There is no guarantee that anything is 100% gluten free or free of contaminants.

Elsewhere would be more likely to have caused your issues.

I don't think so.. but I suppose anything is possible. I had a bag of frozen bag veggies, with gluten free butter, sea salt, and pepper. I have double checked everything and all are confirmed gluten free except for the black pepper. My guess is that Walmart's new gluten labeling policy was only recently applied within what, the last six months? And I'm guessing that pepper has been sitting on that shelf for quite some time.

I'm thinking they added wheat to the pepper as a thickening agent. But then again I also heard the McCormick makes the Walmart brand spices and I know that they are very diligent about CC issues and labeling. So I'm a little unsure, but all I know is that that pepper made me very bloated and gassy. Just a warning to everyone else, probably better to play it safe and go with McCormick.

Lisa Mentor

I'm sorry, but manufacturers DO NOT add wheat to pepper, and certainly undisclosed.

I think as you travel through gluten free land, your reaction will vary in strength and time. What used to be a reaction with 20 minutes of eating, could become a 24 hour reaction time. It is very typical. It makes it difficult to determine the point of gluten.

Many people here depend on the information found here. Accuracy is paramount.

Gfresh404 Enthusiast

That's not me, I know right away when I eat something I should not have.

Open Original Shared Link - (3rd post)

A lot of companies actually do add wheat or corn starch to spices and sauces, used as thickening agents.

You do not have to believe me, as there is no point in arguing, but I am telling you I had a reaction to their black pepper.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Darn210 Enthusiast

Wheat is a top 8 allergen . . . in the US, by law, it must be labeled.

Gfresh404 Enthusiast
Wheat is a top 8 allergen . . . in the US, by law, it must be labeled.

Good point.

If someone else would be willing, go to Walmart, but a duo pack of salt and black pepper, Walmart Brand name. And see if you have a reaction.

If it was not that maybe Momma was right, it was delayed reaction, idk.

Lisa Mentor

I am not arguing with you and I certainly do not want to deminish your illness.

I don't know where you live, but ANY products sold in the US, imported or not, by law is required to list wheat if added.

If you buy pepper in the US, and wheat is not listed as an ingredient, it is not in there. There may be some weird, funky pepper blend available somewhere that may contain wheat to prevent caking, but wheat still must be listed.

Gfresh404 Enthusiast
I am not arguing with you, just determining the facts.

I don't know where you live, but ANY products sold in the US, imported or not, by law is required to list wheat if added.

If you buy pepper in the US, and wheat is not listed as an ingredient, it is not in there. There may be some funky pepper blend available somewhere, but wheat still must be listed.

Now that you mention it, I remember seeing on the label, the nutritional information for the salt, but not for the pepper. It only said "black pepper contains an insignificant amount of nutrients." It also listed the ingredients for the salt, but not for the pepper I only saw "black pepper."

psawyer Proficient

When a product consists of only one ingredient, and that is the description on the main label, an ingredients list is not required. This is frequently the case with pure spices, including black pepper. An ingredients list is only required if the product contains some other ingredient, i.e., it is not 100% pure.

silk Contributor

Wal-mart is one of the few stores where I feel comfortable shopping because of their labeling policies where gluten is concerned.

I am sure that this is a dumb question, but have you tried any other types of pepper and had a reaction? Could it be the pepper itself? Does anyone here know if it is possible to be sensitive to or to develop a sensitivity to pepper in the same way that some of us are bothered by other types of peppers? I could not eat chilis, jalapenos, peperocinis, or any other the other hot peppers that I like so much for quite a while after I had been dx'd. Now that my stomach has healed, I can tolerate them in small doses but does anyone know if the sensitivity could extend to black pepper?

Gfresh404 Enthusiast
Wal-mart is one of the few stores where I feel comfortable shopping because of their labeling policies where gluten is concerned.

I am sure that this is a dumb question, but have you tried any other types of pepper and had a reaction? Could it be the pepper itself? Does anyone here know if it is possible to be sensitive to or to develop a sensitivity to pepper in the same way that some of us are bothered by other types of peppers? I could not eat chilis, jalapenos, peperocinis, or any other the other hot peppers that I like so much for quite a while after I had been dx'd. Now that my stomach has healed, I can tolerate them in small doses but does anyone know if the sensitivity could extend to black pepper?

That's not a bad idea.

But after my reaction, I immediately got rid of that pepper and replaced it with McCormick brand pepper and had no harmful reactions/side effects.

I think the only way to know for sure would be have to have someone else try it.

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

OK, the non-Celiac is chiming in...black pepper and I do NOT agree. So there is at least one person out here who cannot have black pepper and it has nothing to do with gluten. My in-laws learned the hard way the first time I ate at their house and they thought I just didn't "like" pepper in my food. 3 hours in their bathroom and I think they're believers now - well at least they never put it in anything I'm eating any more! :o

Wal-Mart is definitely one of the "good guys" when it comes to labelling, and spices (unless they are a mix) are usually pretty darn safe. Unfortunately with Celiac you have to get used to sometimes having no idea if you've actually been glutened, and if you have not knowing for sure where it came from.

I'm very sorry you weren't feeling good!

Archived