This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cereal Question

JacobsMom

JacobsMom Contributor

Jacob's favorite snack has always been Honey Comb cereal so when all of this started I was like Oh Great....I have gotten some list and always on there is Kellogg's Corn Pops which he likes...I pick it up and look at the label and is says--

Contains wheat ingredients. Corn used in this product contains traces of soybeans.

So I am confused as to why some people say it is safe....Clearly it says to me Contains Wheat ingredients but I am so new maybe I am missing something.

Does anyone have anymore ideas of Cereal I can buy at like Walmart...I did buy him 3 boxes of the EnviroKids and he eats it well but for the price and amount he eats it wayyyyyy too much...He loves it as a snack and it is getting kinda $$$

Also this has nothing to do with cereal BUT:) I hear alot about pancake mix and the Namast Pizza dough...Where do I get this? If it is online please someone give me the web address....My 11 year old is about to die for some pizza.

Thanks everyone and have a good night.

Brandi

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ruth Enthusiast

Hi Brandi,

Kelloggs changed their recipe about a year ago... it's good you read the label!

Right now, here are the cereals my kids eat:

Post Fruity and Cocoa Pebbles

Trader Joes Sweetened Corn Puffs (just like Corn Pops)

Health Valley Rice Crunch 'ems (Just like Rice Chex)

Also, recently in the gluten-free food section of this message board I started a topic called "Mourning Corn Pops?" in the thread, a few people mentioned some Malt-O-Meal cereals available at Wal-Mart that are gluten-free. I haven't tried them yet.

All the best,

Ruth

Guest barbara3675

Kelloggs Corn Pops used to be gluten-free and they changed them so they are not now...my granddaughter got very sick on them when she used to be able to eat them.

I eat Barbara's Honey Rice Puffins, however, they cost a little more and are found at special stores, not WalMart. I like them because they stay crunchy all the way until the end.

Barbara

gf4life Enthusiast

Kroger's Golden Corn Nuggets are also gluten-free and just like Corn Pops. And don't get him too hooked on the Malt-O-Meal CocoDino Bites or the Malt-O-Meal Corn Puffs, in a few months they will no longer be made on dedicated lines, and with be cross-contaminated with their gluten cereals. At least that is their plan, but we are trying to change their mind! Only the Fruity Dino Bites will still be made on a dedicated line.

God bless,

Mariann

scaredparent Apprentice

I feed my son maltomeal brand corn blast. They haven't made him sick yet but when do they plan on changing them to contaminated line??

gf4life Enthusiast

They plan to change lines this summer sometime. I haven't head what month. If you call them they will usually send you some coupons, so you can stock up before they switch over. The number I have for them is 1-800-743-3029 and you can call between 8am-4pm CST.

God bless,

Mariann

mamaathome Explorer

We use Bob's Red Mill pancake mix and it's very good. We buy it at our local HyVee Healthmart section. It is a bit pricier than regular pancake mix, but it makes quite a few batches, so it's really not that bad...not like cereal or other snacks!

Misty

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest taweavmo3

I'm SO glad you asked this. I assumed there wasn't anything else I could buy except Envirokidz. Emmie is just like your little boy.....she absolutely loves to snack on cereal. We've been going through 4 boxes a week of the cereal, which is around $10 a week. Doesn't sound like much, but along with everything else, it does add up quickly.

I've been going through sticker shock lately. I've been so used to buying my groceries ultra cheap at Super Walmart. It just seems like we are spending a small fortune on food.

Guest ajlauer

PIZZA ALTERNATIVE!!! AND DELICIOUS TOO!!!

My daughter (and the rest of the family) is addicted to pizza - my husband works at Domino's!! She's on a food challenge right now, so I had to find a pizza substitute. This was actually by accident but... if you take chicken breasts, top with Great Value pizza sauce (at Walmart, in a glass jar with a green label and green lid), and top with mozzarella. IT IS SOOOOOOOO INCREDIBLY GOOD! Not exactly pizza - but a good alternative that doesn't require any special health foods. I will also be trying it this week with the kids' favorite pizza toppings - they would all go well with this dish!!! This is also good if you have company coming over for dinner. It doesn't scream, "I'm on a special diet!!" It's just simply incredible!!

Place boneless skinless chicken in a baking dish the pizza sauce. Cook covered at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes. Remove cover, cook another 10 minutes. Add mozzarella, and cook for about another 5 minutes - or until cheese has melted. Enjoy!

Hmm... the pizza sauce does list "Natural flavor". That's the only thing on the label that might be questionable. I haven't read up enough to know about "natural flavor" yet. The front of the label says "no additives", so that's kinda nice. Hehe.

granny Rookie
I eat Barbara's Honey Rice Puffins, however, they cost a little more and are found at special stores, not WalMart. I like them because they stay crunchy all the way until the end.

Barbara

Hi Barbara, I went out of town today, where I can go to a health food store and found Barbara brand cereal in lots of flavors. I didn't remember anyone here mentioning them and was going to ask about them. Have you tried other flavors and do you like the other flavors? The HFS owner said they sell a lot of it but I like to stay with recommended stuff. I saw the Rice Puffins but just didn't take the risk. I found Rice Crackers and haven't had a cracker in 1 1/2 year so I bought a box of each flavor-Wow, that was expensive but they are so-o-o good. The crackers are Nut Thins by Blue Diamond and all the ingr. look Ok so I took that risk out of desperation! Anyone else tried them and are they for sure OK? Thanks, Granny

Mya Apprentice

Granny,

As far as I know, the only gluten-free Barbaras Puffins cereal is the Honey Rice...the peanut butter and cinnamon aren't gluten-free, they might only be wheat free.

gf4life Enthusiast

The other flavors of Barbara's puffins cereals contain oats. This makes them not gluten-free, since all american grown oats are contaminated with wheat. If you have a Trader Joes you can usually get the Honey Rice Puffins (and a few other gluten-free cereals) cheaper there than at the health food stores.

God bless,

Mariann

kvogt Rookie

Wild oats puffed rice and puffed millet. Both slightly sweet, grain taste. No sugar necessary.

Archived