This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dh In Scalp

gigantor98

gigantor98 Apprentice

I have been looking on this forum about Dh and I may have this not sure. I have suffered with my scalp for years prior to the celiac disease diagnoses. I thought that is was pimples on my scalp since I was having acne problems with my skin after each of my 3 childrens births. I thought it was a hormonal thing.

I have not had as much of a problem with my scalp in the past several months has I have had in the past. But I have been gluten-free since Nov of 08 and this past month my scalp has been on fire. It has itched, there are fine little pimple like bumps through out my head and heavy at my hair line. I have not consumed any gluten or have had an accidental gluten issue in a month. Is this a detoxification process or is this not Dh. Some of the bumbs when irritated will be so sore I can hardly brush my hair and sleep on my head which ever side it is. I have not seen a dermotologist b/c I think this people are quacks. But this may be my step. If it is, what do they treat it with?

I have read that sometimes scalp issues are treated with cider vinegar b/c they assume it is a fungus. Is this the same or is this all together a different level. I have made sure all of my hair care products are gluten-free and I have just started using a dadriff shampoo even though I do not have dadriff. I switch thinking this might take care of it. Only have been a week on the dadriff shampoo and I am not sure if it is helping. Don't know how long it is suppose to take if it is suppose to work.

Also for the past 2 years I have had these weird patches around my eyes pop up. I had totally elimated anything I put around my eyes for a month and it is not anything I am wearing. So I have went back to my makeup and skin care and this had not made it worse or better. What they look like is small dry scally patches that get real red and swells. They start out about the size of a pencil eraser than swell underneath the skin. Sometimes they itch and than the skin will flake off. The only pain that is felt is a dry pulling senstation. I have 2 of these patches under each eye and about 3 on the eyelid of each eye. They never go away so that means they are in the same place each time they flair up. There is no blusters or anything coming to a head on these. Just dry patches and some times hard to cover with make up b/c the foundation and eye shadows does not what to adhere to them. Again I have checked everything I have been putting around my eyes to see if it contains gluten-free and even call company for backup. I have even stop using anything around my eyes for a month and still having problems. They never go away but sometimes fade out but when they come back they are very noticiable. I do not know if this is another form of Dh or something all together different. I was hoping that once I got off of gluten they would go away.

Are these things treatable? If so do you have to have Dermo or can you treat at home with something natrualistic. Trust me I am not a natrualistic person I just do not have any faith in the medical community anymore. It will take a long time before I will let myself trust another doc. I just pray I do not end up in the er for some major life threating problem and have to realiy on these people to live b/c the many that do not know, in this area inwhich I live, about celiac disease I don't think I will make it. That is my opinion not my advice just opinion.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Do any of your hair care products have vitamin E? It is not uncommon for hair products to contain it and for many of us wheat derived Vitamin E can cause an issue but most companies will say it is gluten free.

gigantor98 Apprentice

Not sure, will check into that never thought Vit. E would be an issue. Do you know why it affects us differently than non-Celiac? Very interesting b/c I asume that it is a Vit. that we need and should be good for you. But again I am not sure what is good for us anymore.

Thanks for you help

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Not sure, will check into that never thought Vit. E would be an issue. Do you know why it affects us differently than non-Celiac? Very interesting b/c I asume that it is a Vit. that we need and should be good for you. But again I am not sure what is good for us anymore.

Thanks for you help

When vitamin E is derived from wheat it is a problem for many of us. It is in an awful lot of cosmetics and personal care products and they don't have to tell you on the label that it is wheat derived. It effects us and not non-celiacs because it is derived from wheat. Some companies will use soy to produce the vitamin E that they put in products and unless you have a sensitivity to soy that shouldn't cause an issue.

Archived