Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Omg... I Just Created Real French Bread Rolls!

• Please log in to reply

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:25 PM

Ok guys, bear with me because this is a recipe in progress... I just made the most delicious french bread mini-rolls. They actually taste and feel like REAL french bread!!! The outside is crispy, but not hard and the inside is soft but not too dense. They are amazing! I didn't measure the milk, but everything else is right...

1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 pkt active dry rapid rise yeast
1 or 2 tablespoons white sugar (depending on your tastes)
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups white rice flour
1 cup potato starch
1 cup tapioca starch
4 tsp xantham gum
1 pkt Knox unflavored gelatin
milk (?) (or milk alternative)

1. Mix water, yeast, and sugar and let sit for approx 8 minutes
2. While waiting mix gelatin, flours, and xantham gum in stand mixer
3. Add oil and salt to yeast mixture
4. Combine all ingredients
5. Add milk until mixture gets sticky (maybe 1/4 cup-ish???) and let it sit for 10 mins.
6. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
7. Scoop dough into a greased mini-muffin pan
8. optional: brush tops with egg for color
9. Cook until tops and bottoms are golden brown (approximately 10 minutes???)

The dough should be thicker than pancake batter, but thinner than traditional gluten french bread dough. I also added 2 Tbsp minced garlic, 2 Tbsp chopped parsley, and 1 Tbsp mined onion, but I tend to add garlic and onion to everything I make. I tried it without and it was still really, really, really good. This recipe would probably be good with less milk made like soft pretzels. Mmmmm....
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mamaw

mamaw

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:56 PM

Hi Angie
it sounds like you have a winner of a recipe for your family! Can you give an estimate on the milk for the newbies on here? I'm sure many will not know how much to dump into the mix!
thanks

mamaw

#3 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:40 PM

I want to try these for my dd! Does anyone know what I can sub for the gelatin...would pectin work??
Thanks ALL!
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#4 Guhlia

Guhlia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:51 AM

Hi Angie
it sounds like you have a winner of a recipe for your family! Can you give an estimate on the milk for the newbies on here? I'm sure many will not know how much to dump into the mix!
thanks

mamaw

I believe it was approx. 1/4 cup, certainly no more than that. It may have been closer to an 1/8 cup. I really just started dumping slowly until the texture looked right.

I want to try these for my dd! Does anyone know what I can sub for the gelatin...would pectin work??
Thanks ALL!

I have a feeling you could leave out the gelatin without adversely affecting results. You could halve the recipe and try it with pectin to see what happens.
~Angie~

#5 Chrissyb

Chrissyb

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:17 AM

I have to do dairy free, what would you suggest. I don't really like the after taste of rice milk but I don't know if that would make a difference in the milk. I use mostly soy and almond for cooking and baking.
Chrissy

#6 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:02 AM

Thanks ALL!

I believe agar agar would be a better substitute for gelatin than pectin, especially most types of pectin, as they don't gel without a lot of sugar.

I have to do dairy free, what would you suggest. I don't really like the after taste of rice milk but I don't know if that would make a difference in the milk. I use mostly soy and almond for cooking and baking.

I'd think almond milk should work fine. Cow's milk is essentially an emulsion of fat, protein and water, so anything like that may have some potential. Coconut milk might work too.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#7 Guhlia

Guhlia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:03 AM

I made some for my daughter with soy milk and they turned out well, just slightly sweeter because the soy milk is sweetened. I imagine almond milk would probably be better though.
~Angie~

#8 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:16 PM

Hi Angie
Thanks for the measurement - I'm sure that will help the newbies!

#9 Yellow Rose

Yellow Rose

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:24 PM

They actually taste and feel like REAL french bread!!!
[/quote]

I saw that you use 1c potato flour. It doesn't come out with that yuck after taste you get with potato flour?
27 years of misdiognoses
seziures summer of 1979 lasted 10 years had maybe a dozen in that time Dr.s never could find what was causing them blamed it on lack of sleep and maybe nutrasweet
rheumatoid arthritis May 1980
wrist joint replacement Jan 1984
fibromyalgia May 1980
insomnia since the 80's
diarrhea 1995-2000 blamed on arthritis meds
Crohn's 1998 after two operations to fix fissures caused by the diarrhea
Other symptons over the last 27 years that have been treated for symptoms not causes:
depression, anemia, constipation, tooth discoloration, tremors in hands, tingling and numbness in feet and hands, fatigue, high blood pressure due to arthritus meds, flushing in face, severe muscle pain and thinking I was going crazy thanks to Dr.'s attitudes.

After diognoses my mother tells me I have an aunt and a cousin with Celiac. Mother tested negative but thinks she is intolerant to wheat and is changing her diet.
Suspect all three of my children have it as well but still trying to convince them to go get tested.

In answer to my prayer, "Lord Please Heal My Broken Body". May 2007 Celiac antibody test positive
Matthew 7: 8 Ask and ye shall receive, Seek and ye shall find, Knock and it shall be opened unto you.

#10 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:39 PM

ooh, can't wait to try this recipe! and wow, your pic looks delicious :) what is that???
Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT
Gluten-free since June 2006
Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991
Dairy-free for good since summer 2008
Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008
Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(
Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

#11 Guhlia

Guhlia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:13 AM

ooh, can't wait to try this recipe! and wow, your pic looks delicious :) what is that???

It is the white chocolate mousse cake that my husband got for me for Valentine's day at a semi-local gluten-free bakery. It was amazing!
~Angie~

#12 jenrn

jenrn

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:35 PM

These were absolutely delicious! I have been trying recipe after recipe to try to find something close to the crispy bread that I miss. These were fantastic. Thanks for the recipe! Do you think they would also work with brown rice flour?
Jen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: