This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

I Cannot Get A gluten-free Cookie To Turn Out

Lexi

Lexi Enthusiast

I have tried to make two batches of gluten-free cookies, and I had to throw both away. First of all, can you use Egg replacement in cookies, and second of all, can you replace the butter with canola oil. Here is what I used:

1. 10 tbsp. of canola oil

2. 1 1/4 c. brown sugar

3. 1 tsp. gluten-free vanilla

4. 1/4 c. egg substitute

5. 2 1/4 c gluten-free flour - I used coconut and sorghum

6. 1 tsp. baking soda

7. 1 tsp. baking powder

8. 1 tsp. salt

9. gluten-free chocolate chips

Also, is there anything else to use to replace the eggs in cookies. I used the egg replacement, but I technically try to stay away from potato starch. Is potato starch actually considered a nightshade? And I try not to do the butter because I don't do soy either. I have heard you can use shortening, but it just seems SO BAD for you. All I want is a hot fresh baked chocolate cookie that I have not had in over a year!!! But it has to be gluten-free, dairy free, and soy free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lovey25 Rookie
I have tried to make two batches of gluten-free cookies, and I had to throw both away. First of all, can you use Egg replacement in cookies, and second of all, can you replace the butter with canola oil. Here is what I used:

2. 1 1/4 c. brown sugar

4. 1/4 c. egg substitute

6. 1 tsp. baking soda

7. 1 tsp. baking powder

8. 1 tsp. salt

Also, is there anything else to use to replace the eggs in cookies. I used the egg replacement, but I technically try to stay away from potato starch. Is potato starch actually considered a nightshade? And I try not to do the butter because I don't do soy either. I have heard you can use shortening, but it just seems SO BAD for you. All I want is a hot fresh baked chocolate cookie that I have not had in over a year!!! But it has to be gluten-free, dairy free, and soy free.

Hi there.

I made a posting in this forum with a peanut butter cookie recipe that is gluten-free and dairy-free. It does contain eggs and I am not familiar with substituting with a no-egg product in place of the real thing. But, check out that recipe -- there's no flours (potato starch, soy flour, etc.). And you can mix it up to include cocoa powder and chocolate chips so you can get your chocolate fix. :)

climbmtwhitney Apprentice
All I want is a hot fresh baked chocolate cookie that I have not had in over a year!!! But it has to be gluten-free, dairy free, and soy free.

Here's my fav.....GFCFSF Chocolate Chip Cookies

They look like regular chocolate chip cookies, just a tad lighter in color. They're not at all gritty like most gluten-free cookies. And, the taste is very, very, very close to Toll House Original. I even like to eat the cookie dough--that says a lot!

1 c. + 2 T. Tom Sawyer Gluten-free flour (I think Better Batter would work too, although I haven't tried it)

1/4 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 c. Spectrum shortening (made from palm oil so it's SF)

1/4 c. brown sugar

1/2 c. sugar

1 large egg, well beaten (egg sub would probably be fine since the recipe only calls for a single egg)

3/4 tsp. vanilla

Enjoy Life chocolate chips

Cream both sugars and shortening together. Add egg and vanilla and beat very well. Mix dry ingredients very well and add. Then add chocolate chips.

Here's the odd part, but it works.....Lightly coat hands with canola oil (or other oil) and spoon out a hunk of dough and roll it into a ball in your hands. Place the ball on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet (or greased and "floured") and bake 350 degrees for 9 to 11 minutes, depending on size. Yummy, yummy, YUMMY!

Enjoy!

Jill

Sweetfudge Community Regular

I have found that oils don't work as well in most cookie recipes. What I do is use spectrum shortening (which someone else posted about), and only use half the called for amount. I then substitute applesauce in for the remaining half. Lots of fruit purees like applesauce, or canned pumpkin, work well as a butter sub.

Good luck :)

IAtodd Rookie

2. 1 1/4 c. brown sugar

4. 1/4 c. egg substitute

6. 1 tsp. baking soda

7. 1 tsp. baking powder

8. 1 tsp. salt

Also, is there anything else to use to replace the eggs in cookies. I used the egg replacement, but I technically try to stay away from potato starch. Is potato starch actually considered a nightshade? And I try not to do the butter because I don't do soy either. I have heard you can use shortening, but it just seems SO BAD for you.

Remember: You are making chocolate chip cookies! If you want them to be good for you, then they aren't going to taste very good! Shortening would probably work better than oil. And I've never heard of butter having soy in it. I use Bette Hagman's choc chip cookie recipe, which calls for 2 sticks butter or margarine (talk about not good for you)! I've only used butter. It also calls for egg replacer (added in powder form) AND egg. I have accidentally left out the egg replacer and they are still good. I'm guessing you can use egg replacer (dissolved in water as per instructions) in the recipe in place of the egg. Could your problem be the lack of xanthum gum? Also, coconut flour sucks up liquid so you need to add liquid AND extra eggs if you are using coconut flour. I'll bet that's your problem. Try a flour that is 6 parts white rice to 2 parts corn starch (Bette calls for potato starch) to 1 part tapioca.

ang1e0251 Contributor

I cannot answer your question about eggs however in cake recipes I have used mayonaise in place of eggs. I have never tried an egg free mayonaise.

I will answer your question about oil. You will not be successful subbing oil for a solid in cookies. I was always taught to use half butter or margarine and half shortening in cookies. You can use all shortening also, makes a great cookie. But if you use all butter, you may find your cookies brown too quickly. I really have the best results with half and half or all shortening. For those of you who think that sounds yucky, I can guaranty you that all the Keeblers and other prepackaged cookies you loved through the years used shortening.

We always made lots of Christmas cookies in our candy factory when I was growing up. They were just for family but my sister took that recipe and sells several hundred of these at Christmas now. She's working on an order for a wedding now and the family is driving 3 hours just to pick them up. So they are pretty good with all shortening.

Good luck on your cookie baking!

RiceGuy Collaborator

Two things jump out at me as suspects. One is that there isn't any xanthan in your recipe. You didn't mention what was wrong with them, but if they crumbled, that'd be one reason. The other reason might have been the fat content. Coconut flour is a bit higher in fat, and that will make the results more crumbly too. So I would try lowering the oil, and if it needs more moisture, add some water.

BTW, it is not necessary to "toss your cookies" if they don't turn out right! (sorry for the pun - couldn't resist) Simply use them as a crumb crust for a cake, topping for a pie, etc. I've even blended cookie crumbs back into a second batch of cookie dough, and it worked fine.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

purple Community Regular
Two things jump out at me as suspects. One is that there isn't any xanthan in your recipe. You didn't mention what was wrong with them, but if they crumbled, that'd be one reason. The other reason might have been the fat content. Coconut flour is a bit higher in fat, and that will make the results more crumbly too. So I would try lowering the oil, and if it needs more moisture, add some water.

BTW, it is not necessary to "toss your cookies" if they don't turn out right! (sorry for the pun - couldn't resist) Simply use them as a crumb crust for a cake, topping for a pie, etc. I've even blended cookie crumbs back into a second batch of cookie dough, and it worked fine.

yep, I even picked out all the chips (ate them of course ;)) and froze the crumbs for later use.

IAtodd Rookie

Sorry... My original reply got buried in my accidental quoting of the original message, so I don't know whether you have even noticed that it's there. What follows is what I originally posted, but I just logged in to correct what I said about Bette Hagman's choc chip cookie flour... She says to use the 4-flour mix (not the gluten-free flour mix). The 4-flour mix is basically the equivalent of Bob's Red Mill's all purpose gluten-free baking flour (garbanzo, sorghum, tapioca, and fava bean). Anyhow, here's my original response:

Remember: You are making chocolate chip cookies! If you want them to be good for you, then they aren't going to taste very good! Shortening would probably work better than oil. And I've never heard of butter having soy in it. I use Bette Hagman's choc chip cookie recipe, which calls for 2 sticks butter or margarine (talk about not good for you)! I've only used butter. It also calls for egg replacer (added in powder form) AND egg. I have accidentally left out the egg replacer and they are still good. I'm guessing you can use egg replacer (dissolved in water as per instructions) in the recipe in place of the egg. Could your problem be the lack of xanthum gum? Also, coconut flour sucks up liquid so you need to add liquid AND extra eggs if you are using coconut flour. I'll bet that's your problem. Try a flour that is 6 parts white rice to 2 parts corn starch (Bette calls for potato starch) to 1 part tapioca.

New: If you want to use coconut flour, there are tips online for substituting it for other kinds of flour... i.e., how many extra eggs and how much extra liquid to use.

Archived