Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Walt Disney World 2009 Vacation - Dining Review

6 posts in this topic

*Taken from my blog. I'd post all the pictures, but I don't know how to do that on this site <_< sorry*

Walt Disney World 2009 Vacation - Dining Review

So, I just had the best vacation of my gluten-free life! Seriously, I could sing praises all day and night for Disney! They rocked my world! I was so spoiled, I felt like a princess! I kept a log (as best as I could remember) of all the places we ate at, what I ordered, the chef

Ads by Google:

Hi Sweetfudge!

I didn't think about the gluten-free syrup either! I ate my waffles on that first morning without even thinking! I think I just got so frazzled by how busy the food court was. That was one of my main complaints about the resort. That food court was out of control in the mornings! I will try the pancakes next time.

Thanks for keeping a log of your meals! What a great idea. I'll make sure to do that next time!

I'm jealous of your long trip!

sweetfudge, thanks for the review!

I'll be making my first gluten-free trip to Disney in May (long time Disney traveler, though) and I knew they were accomodating, but sounds like a dream come true! Oh... that's right... it's Disney! I'm not sure yet if I'm looking forward to the new Celiac part of the trip and still just getting used to all the fun things I can't eat, but really, I am looking forward to dining there. There are some amazing restaurants and they do their best at making everyone's trip a magical one - despite what we can or can't have.

SweetFudge

Glad you had a great disney trip. We too always love it at disney.The brownies at Disney are made by French Meadow so you can get these same for the choc. chip cookie at disney wrapped one....

Toffutti can be purchased at grocery stores or speciality stores. We love wildberry!

If you go again try the BOMA at animal kingdom. It is wonderful. We ate at many of the places you did & a few others. The pizza is Amy's.....

The rolls served almost everywhere are tapicoa rolls. some were from EnerG & others had French Meadow rolls.

I guess you didn't do the Flinstone turkey leg for lunch? These were good but so big & all I could think of was Barney Flinstone while chomping on this leg!

blessings

mamaw

About that syrup...when we were at Spoodles last spring break we ran into the syrup issue the first day. The second day my son decided to have eggs to avoid having something he would've liked with syrup. But lo and behold, Chef Karen came out with 100% pure maple syrup! She had made sure that he would have it when she couldn't confirm the gluten free status of her syrup! I was so impressed! And he had pancakes or french toast every day after that!

When we returned last Nov. we bought a bottle of maple syrup on our way from airport to resort. But the first morning we had breakfast at Olivia's and they had individual 100% maple syrup jars.

Sooooo, I'd suggest mentioning it to the chef before you get there. When you make your reservations they give you the chef's number to call if you want. If you know you want those types of breakfast just call and ask what they use and if they'd consider the maple syrup option.

Boy I love Disney!!!

Hi Sweetfudge!

I didn't think about the gluten-free syrup either! I ate my waffles on that first morning without even thinking! I think I just got so frazzled by how busy the food court was. That was one of my main complaints about the resort. That food court was out of control in the mornings! I will try the pancakes next time.

Thanks for keeping a log of your meals! What a great idea. I'll make sure to do that next time!

I'm jealous of your long trip!

Yeah, it was pretty crazy. Thankfully (in a way...) we had to get up early for my husband's company's "morning meetings" so we were able to avoid some of the crowds. Plus, we ate in the room several mornings, which was also good.

As far as the log goes, I just kept a small notepad in my backpack, and tried to write in it after each meal. If not, I forgot little things, like the chefs' names :)

sweetfudge, thanks for the review!

I'll be making my first gluten-free trip to Disney in May (long time Disney traveler, though) and I knew they were accomodating, but sounds like a dream come true! Oh... that's right... it's Disney! I'm not sure yet if I'm looking forward to the new Celiac part of the trip and still just getting used to all the fun things I can't eat, but really, I am looking forward to dining there. There are some amazing restaurants and they do their best at making everyone's trip a magical one - despite what we can or can't have.

The best part about this trip was that I felt "normal" again! It was so nice to be able to sit across the table from my husband, both of us enjoying burgers together :)

SweetFudge

Glad you had a great disney trip. We too always love it at disney.The brownies at Disney are made by French Meadow so you can get these same for the choc. chip cookie at disney wrapped one....

Toffutti can be purchased at grocery stores or speciality stores. We love wildberry!

If you go again try the BOMA at animal kingdom. It is wonderful. We ate at many of the places you did & a few others. The pizza is Amy's.....

The rolls served almost everywhere are tapicoa rolls. some were from EnerG & others had French Meadow rolls.

I guess you didn't do the Flinstone turkey leg for lunch? These were good but so big & all I could think of was Barney Flinstone while chomping on this leg!

blessings

mamaw

Are you sure the pizza was Amy's? Mine seemed to be made from scratch, as he asked me specifically what I wanted on it, and I just listed the things. It tasted better than any Amy's pizza I've had. ;)

I went and bought some Tofutti chocolate ice cream at the HFS the other day...it was totally freezer-burned :( I am a huge fan of the other Tofutti products I've tried though.

I thought about trying one of the turkey legs...we saw people walking around with them everywhere, looking like they were eating big meaty ice cream cones. But, never gave myself the opportunity to try one.

I went and bought some of the energy hamburger buns the other day as well, and made myself some yummy turkey burgers.

About that syrup...when we were at Spoodles last spring break we ran into the syrup issue the first day. The second day my son decided to have eggs to avoid having something he would've liked with syrup. But lo and behold, Chef Karen came out with 100% pure maple syrup! She had made sure that he would have it when she couldn't confirm the gluten free status of her syrup! I was so impressed! And he had pancakes or french toast every day after that!

When we returned last Nov. we bought a bottle of maple syrup on our way from airport to resort. But the first morning we had breakfast at Olivia's and they had individual 100% maple syrup jars.

Sooooo, I'd suggest mentioning it to the chef before you get there. When you make your reservations they give you the chef's number to call if you want. If you know you want those types of breakfast just call and ask what they use and if they'd consider the maple syrup option.

Boy I love Disney!!!

That's a good idea, about requesting the syrup beforehand. Or I might just bring my own next time.

Yes, Disney totally rules :)