This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Medical Marijuana For Symptom Control

raisin

raisin Enthusiast

Now the legal status of this practice is extremely varied based on your area, so as a disclaimer : I'm not advocating doing anything illegal.

Either those still healing, or on occasions of accidental gluten-consumption; often prone to difficult menstruation, digestive/joint/muscle pains, loss of appetite, migraines, extreme stress, inability to sleep, depression, and many other problems marijuana has been used to treat.

Have there been any studies done on the potential benefits/harms of Medical Marijuana for Celiacs? Does any do/has anyone tried this, and if so, what was your conclusions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cat3883 Explorer

My conclusion is that I like to do everything drug free if possible. Just go on a gluten free diet and everything will get better.

raisin Enthusiast

It was a medical question, not a moral question.

Some of us can't cope without medical aid, like Ibuprofen, sleep medicine or caffeine, herbs like Slippery Elm, etc. If you don't need anything of the sort, good for you.

luvthelake21 Rookie

Just my 2cents I think pot would make a lot of people feel better. I am sure it could be harmful but so is smoking cigaretts and you get no benefit from them. When I was young my Aunt had cancer and her husband would go buy her some pot in the city, after she smoked it she would be able to eat. All these years later I still think that is what saved her.

maile Newbie
When I was young my Aunt had cancer and her husband would go buy her some pot in the city, after she smoked it she would be able to eat. All these years later I still think that is what saved her.

this is quite a common reaction and also why the use for medicinal purposes is legal in Canada (it has to be prescribed and is supposed to come from gov't controlled source) I've seen it mentioned as a use for MS patients as well but never heard of it for celiac.

Jestgar Rising Star

I think it would be hard to justify its use for celiac disease, since the treatment is just 'don't eat gluten'.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I hear that you should use a pipe and not rolling papers as the adhesive contains gluten. Just in case.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

There is actually quite a bit on the net about it. It can be quite helpful it seems for a lot of things. Although it wouldn't be appropriate as a substitute for the diet it could help when folks were glutened. In states where it can be prescibed it appears celiac is one of the things they prescribe it for.

Unfortunately even in states where the state has legalized it for medical use it is still illegal under Federal Law.

GFqueen17 Contributor
I think it would be hard to justify its use for celiac disease, since the treatment is just 'don't eat gluten'.

The poster said "for those still healing or for accidental gluten consumption"

I think it would be extremely helpful but I dont think that people who dont have celiac disease would understand and therefor it would be very difficult to make legal for us.

Jestgar Rising Star
The poster said "for those still healing or for accidental gluten consumption"

I understand. I just don't think you could make a viable legal argument for it's use.

julirama723 Contributor

Medical marijuana does help with nausea and it does give users an appetite. I knew a woman with cancer who used marijuana as a last resort because she absolutely could NOT eat anything.

However, I think it might not be the best idea for a celiac patient to use it, just because of the specific dietary needs of the patient. I'm not saying that every celiac would do this, but I think good judgement seems to fly out the window under the influence of controlled substances. Or, maybe not a lapse in judgement, but the inability to think clearly--what if someone who has just been glutened uses marijuana to assist with appetite, only to accidentally eat something with more gluten?

I'm not saying it would happen, but look at all the times people have accidentally eaten gluten, being of sound mind and body. I can see where the chance of that happening would increase dramatically, smoking pot.

elonwy Enthusiast

I smoke, so I'll pipe up here. (pun not intended, but enjoyed)

I get a definite benefit from smoking when I have gluten symptoms. It calms the raging belly storm and eases the pain. It affects my appetite in the opposite way, when I get glutened I want to eat constantly, and the weed actually chills that out.

As for the judgement issues... I think there is a big difference between getting stoned out of your gourd and smoking some medical marijuana to ease your pain. When you're smoking it for pain relief, its like any other pain reliever, you don't get as "high" on it when its working on the pain, where as when you do it symptom free, you get baked.

I wouldn't go driving a car or anything, but I find the weed actually makes me less manic and less prone to eating everything in sight. It is however, a distinct possibility that I'm just weird.

maile Newbie
When you're smoking it for pain relief, its like any other pain reliever, you don't get as "high" on it when its working on the pain, where as when you do it symptom free, you get baked..I wouldn't go driving a car or anything, but I find the weed actually makes me less manic and less prone to eating everything in sight. It is however, a distinct possibility that I'm just weird.

I think you've got a very good point! I'm not a user but I have watched someone in palliative care for a long time and was able to observe the effect of drugs on people in pain. In this person's case she was on Fentynl (sp? ....and yes, not anything like weed) and it was the drug that made her lucid and as normal as she could be under the circumstances. So I could certainly see the benefits for some!

ravenwoodglass Mentor
As for the judgement issues... I think there is a big difference between getting stoned out of your gourd and smoking some medical marijuana to ease your pain. When you're smoking it for pain relief, its like any other pain reliever, you don't get as "high" on it when its working on the pain, where as when you do it symptom free, you get baked.

This is a very valid point that actually applies to a lot of drugs. Also I think when folks use it to relieve symptoms they don't always consume like the folks that are doing it to get 'high'. Most people think of the 'pot head' sort of thing where folks smoke themselves into a stupor and just sit around all day. When folks are using it as a medicine they generally use much smaller amounts.

People don't think of the person who has a glass of wine with every dinner as having a drinking problem, they can see the difference between them and the person who downs a bottle or a 12 pack a night. But those same folks can't see the difference between the person who smokes a couple hits for symptom relief and the guy who smokes 3 joints and just sits in the corner or even the person in the alley shooting heroin.

luvthelake21 Rookie

I know of Lawyers, Business people, and Working people who smoke and live a very productive life. I think if it was good enough for the Indians it should be good enough for us. At least its natural. I also beleive used in moderation it would help for many medical uses including Celiac.

raisin Enthusiast

Everyone so far has said "smoke" pot.. But isn't that the less logical way to use it medically?

Eating marijuana (with something oily) is actually a lot safer, easy to dose, and actually has long-term health benefits. Many people don't even seem to realize marijuana is edible, if they did, I have to wonder if they anti-smoking lung cancer crowd would even have complaints.

Amber M Explorer
Everyone so far has said "smoke" pot.. But isn't that the less logical way to use it medically?

Eating marijuana (with something oily) is actually a lot safer, easy to dose, and actually has long-term health benefits. Many people don't even seem to realize marijuana is edible, if they did, I have to wonder if they anti-smoking lung cancer crowd would even have complaints.

I am 52 now and gave up pot about 7 years ago! Funny, I always felt pretty good back then. My health declined after I quit drinking and smoking pot!!!!! I would not want to drink again, but heck, I just might consider the pot!! LOL! I never over smoked the stuff anyway. Just a bit might be the Key! I like the idea of eating it. I did that in high school, in brownies!! It is more effective eating, you do not need as much, I can tell you that! I love this forum!

raisin Enthusiast

I just found out, for pains and tummy problems, the best way to take marijuana may be to drink it as a tea.

I am definitely going to look into this, after the positive responses from those of you who have found it so helpful. I also looked it up, and confirmed, Celiac is covered as one of the conditions medical marijuana can be sold for (where legal, usually under "gastrointestinal disorders/diseases").

Amber M Explorer
I just found out, for pains and tummy problems, the best way to take marijuana may be to drink it as a tea.

I am definitely going to look into this, after the positive responses from those of you who have found it so helpful. I also looked it up, and confirmed, Celiac is covered as one of the conditions medical marijuana can be sold for (where legal, usually under "gastrointestinal disorders/diseases").

I have so many neurological problems, I wonder if it would help or make it worse? I know it would help my fibro. I am putting some thought into this. I live in Maine so I'll have to check out the medical laws about this. Either way, I can get it, but I wouldn't want to be arrested!! I'd rather take pot than 50 other meds!

LOL! I just realized, I wouldn't have to read the label and do a pile of research to find out if it was SOY, GLUTEN, CORN, YEAST, LEGUME, ETC, ETC, FREE!!!! TOO FUNNY!!!

Amber M Explorer
I have so many neurological problems, I wonder if it would help or make it worse? I know it would help my fibro. I am putting some thought into this. I live in Maine so I'll have to check out the medical laws about this. Either way, I can get it, but I wouldn't want to be arrested!! I'd rather take pot than 50 other meds!

LOL! I just realized, I wouldn't have to read the label and do a pile of research to find out if it was SOY, GLUTEN, CORN, YEAST, LEGUME, ETC, ETC, FREE!!!! TOO FUNNY!!!

Me again. I decided to try it. I read that if you eat it, you actually need more. I went on "Medical doses for Cannibis" on google. It said that eating it give slower response, but lasts longer, and Smoking it is quicker response lasting shorter duration. They are working on legislation in Maine right now.

I decided to smoke it... Two drags. Here's what happened: I got a buzz and was simply happier of course, but more importantly, My facial muscle twitching and numbness turned off within 5 to 10 minutes and lasted for several hours. My constant "Charlie Horses" in my legs stopped and although the "Fall down" feeling did not go completely away, it lessened. I have now done 2 drags for 2 days, one day off, (felt like crap) and 2 days on again. I notice my symptoms come back by evening, (about 5 hours after the 2 drags) and I don't do it again because I don't want to be high all the time.

The recommended dosage seems to depend on the severity of the condition. I think in order to get better, longer lasting relief, I would probably have to do 2 drags in the evening too. I'm not going to for now, but I think I will stay with what I have started for awhile and see what happens. Tonight, I have the bug crawling feeling on my forehead. This is an off and on problem with my face and head. It drives me crazy. I'm hoping it will help with that too.

I'll keep ya's posted.

My friend says, "well, if it doesn't help, at least you'll be happier about it anyway!" I agree, my mood is much better..............

Gemini Experienced
I smoke, so I'll pipe up here. (pun not intended, but enjoyed)

I get a definite benefit from smoking when I have gluten symptoms. It calms the raging belly storm and eases the pain. It affects my appetite in the opposite way, when I get glutened I want to eat constantly, and the weed actually chills that out.

I wouldn't go driving a car or anything, but I find the weed actually makes me less manic and less prone to eating everything in sight. It is however, a distinct possibility that I'm just weird.

Pot absolutely helps calm the intestinal tract down after a glutening. I have a friend who has Crohn's and he is a regular smoker who holds a good job. He has been off and on a bag during his life and has severe Crohn's.....a lot of suffering at times. I have tried it on the very few times I have been glutened and it is amazing......my intestines calmed right down and the cramping stopped. The appetite returns also.

I see it as no more harmful or wrong than having a glass of wine. Here in Massachusetts, they just passed a law (voted in by the citizens of this state) and you get a $100.00 fine for possession of an ounce or less. No arrest and wasted court time. The sky hasn't fallen either! :lol: The law applies to adults over 18 only.

The potential glue on the papers is a non-issue. You cannot gluten yourself by smoking something.......you'd have to eat it! I felt much better and had no ill effects or lingering anything from the paper.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
The potential glue on the papers is a non-issue. You cannot gluten yourself by smoking something.......you'd have to eat it! I felt much better and had no ill effects or lingering anything from the paper.

Well..... I'd have to think that if there were gluten in the glue, and the glue touches your lips, and you're as sensitive as me, you'd be glutened. Non-issue- use a pipe!

Gemini Experienced
Well..... I'd have to think that if there were gluten in the glue, and the glue touches your lips, and you're as sensitive as me, you'd be glutened. Non-issue- use a pipe!

I probably am as sensitive as you and it did not spark any kind of a reaction. I think all the small things that are not ingested are worried about far too much. If you had a reaction, it may be an allergic reaction....that's entirely possible. I have followed all of the guidelines that are current with regards to this disease and they must be correct because I have had no problems and nothing is showing in my bloodwork....repeatedly. I don't know how anyone can be any more convinced than that!

Amber M Explorer
I probably am as sensitive as you and it did not spark any kind of a reaction. I think all the small things that are not ingested are worried about far too much. If you had a reaction, it may be an allergic reaction....that's entirely possible. I have followed all of the guidelines that are current with regards to this disease and they must be correct because I have had no problems and nothing is showing in my bloodwork....repeatedly. I don't know how anyone can be any more convinced than that!

Sounds convincing to me, but I guess if we are worried about it, we could use a pipe. I'm still doing 2 drags almost every day and feel better for it. It just wears off by evening, and that is when my symptoms are worse, so I'm trying it later in the day now.

I have more symtoms today, but related to bowels and back. I realized I had not taken my usual dosage of Magnesium (do to a switch over) and I think its because of that. The smoke today is coming up and I'm hoping it helps. All in all, I am feeling some relief.

Jestgar Rising Star

I just want to remind you all that this is a public site, and anyone has access to your comments. Please consider the possible consequences to yourself before casually posting that you are doing something that may be considered illegal where you live.

Archived