5 replies to this topic

#1 veggiemama

veggiemama

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:43 PM

I've done research on the internet and have read some posts on the forum about going to the dentist and avoiding gluten. The dentist that I am going to tomorrow (for the first time) has a staff member with celiac disease and several patients. But, I'm still concerned. I guess because I've seen too many times people say "sure, it is gluten free" when it really isn't.

Does anyone know if any anaesthetics contain gluten? I am going to ask about the gloves since some are powdered. Any other tips? I would appreciate it. I am nursing my daughter who is also celiac, and I told them that because if I were to ingest gluten then it would effect her too.
visit my ::blog:: gluten-free recipes, raw food, etc!

What children take from us, they give…We become people who feel more deeply, question more deeply, hurt more deeply, and love more deeply.
- Sonia Taitz, O Magazine, May 2003

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:48 PM

My son and I haven't had any problems at the dentist and they don't do anything special for us, and we are both very sensitive. Hopefully that will help to put your mind at rest.

#3 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:33 PM

My Dentist brought out the ingredients for everything when I had a routine cleaning and there was nothing in them gluten wise. I am pretty sure flour is not used keep latex gloves from sticking together.

#4 Tim-n-VA

Tim-n-VA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:11 AM

Having a dental product that definitely has gluten would be a great fact to use to start the conversation with a dentist. I wonder if they say "no gluten" without really thinking about the inert ingredients. However, I've asked for a dental product with gluten in several different threads on this site and the closest anyone has come up with are companies that say they can't guarantee that there isn't cross-contamination at their suppliers.

I would put dental visits as relatively low risk but would welcome knowledge of a specific dental product that contains gluten.

#5 hermitgirl

hermitgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:57 AM

There are many products that are gluten free at the dentist's office. Several of their companies actually have gluten free on their packaging. The only things that my dentist has found to be not good are some of the fluoride treatments/rinses that they offer. It is all in what your dentist chooses to use. As far as the gloves go, I have a latex allergy so they use vinyl, and the vinyl gloves frequently don't have any form of powder in them. The biggest thing is to constantly remind everyone who comes in contact with you that everything needs to be gluten free. There are plenty of dentists out there who are willing to work with their patients to protect not just their dental health, but their patient's general health as well. I think that the fact that they currently treat others, as well as having someone on their staff who lives with Celiac Disease is a good sign.

#6 veggiemama

veggiemama

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:56 AM

Thanks everyone!

They gave me a list of products that they will use tomorrow, and I have contacted all of the companies. They said the products are gluten free. One company, however, would not talk to me. They said it is "their policy to only speak to dentists, not the patients"

That company is Henry Schein and the product is Benzo-jel.

Does anyone know if Xylocaine is gluten free?
visit my ::blog:: gluten-free recipes, raw food, etc!

What children take from us, they give…We become people who feel more deeply, question more deeply, hurt more deeply, and love more deeply.
- Sonia Taitz, O Magazine, May 2003

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: