9 replies to this topic

#1 ranger

ranger

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:57 AM

I just finished eating a half cup serving of trail mix using gluten-free rice crispies and all gluten-free ingrediants, and am yet running to the bathroom. This is not the first time this has happened. Anyone else have this experience? Please let me know.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:06 AM

What are the ingredients/brands of all the "parts" of the trail mix you made?

#3 ranger

ranger

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:17 AM

What are the ingredients/brands of all the "parts" of the trail mix you made?

I used rice crispies, almonds, dried pineapple, craisens, brown sugar, butter, and frozen pineapple juice concentrate. I've eaten all the other ingrediants alone and have had no problems. Can't figure it out, but another woman in my celiac support group had the same experience.

#4 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:28 AM

Ranger,

Did you use regular Kellogg's Rice Crispies? Those contain malt and therefore are not gluten-free.

Beyond that, possibly the other ingredients were processed on shared lines with wheat--some nuts are, for example Diamond Shelled Walnuts (not sure about their almonds).

To figure out the culprit, you need to take each ingredient and determine it's safety for you. If you list them including brands, maybe we can help you.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#5 Lisa16

Lisa16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:36 AM

Hi-- I recently saw a post here where the poster thought some brands of craisins were coated in a gluten mix to keep them from sticking together. Maybe it isn't the rice krispies?

May you glutening be mild and brief!

#6 ranger

ranger

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:45 AM

Ranger,

Did you use regular Kellogg's Rice Crispies? Those contain malt and therefore are not gluten-free.

Beyond that, possibly the other ingredients were processed on shared lines with wheat--some nuts are, for example Diamond Shelled Walnuts (not sure about their almonds).

To figure out the culprit, you need to take each ingredient and determine it's safety for you. If you list them including brands, maybe we can help you.

the box of rice cripies was marked gluten free, and all the other stuff I eat with no problem. Mystery.

#7 ranger

ranger

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:47 AM

Hi-- I recently saw a post here where the poster thought some brands of craisins were coated in a gluten mix to keep them from sticking together. Maybe it isn't the rice krispies?

May you glutening be mild and brief!

Thanks. They have been minor, thank God! I hate being glutened!

#8 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:18 PM

Hi Ranger
I don't know how long you have been gluten-free but here's a thought or two! Many do not get enough roughage or fiber & once it dawns on them to add something , it has been awhile since theri intestinal tract has had to break down roughage.
Another thing is the chocolate can cause some distress......Lastly, sometimes you can eat each item on its own but when added to other things it causes upset. This happens to me on occassion but I haven't figured out why!
Feel better soon

blessings

mamaw

#9 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:42 PM

One other thought to throw in the mix. It may have been something you ate yesterday or the day before that got you gluten wise. For some of us the reaction is delayed between injestion and upset tummy. For myself I have a decided three day pattern. I eat the substance, I get some nongut related nastyness and then 3 days later the D hits.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#10 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:12 AM

If you were using Erewhon crispy brown rice cereal, it is made on the same lines as Oatie-O's. We found an Oatie-O in our crispy brown rice with mixed berries box....
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: