Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Are Enemas A Good Idea?

13 posts in this topic

Sorry if this is in the wrong section or if I'm being too graphic but I'm trying to decide whether enemas are a good idea.

I'm told it's good to completely wash out and cleanse your colon as there can be old waste in there that could even be years old. Well I gave up gluten a month ago... I'm not sure whether I do have gluten intoerance or celiac disease but I've put on over 3kgs which is amazing for me as I've never been able to put weight on. So I've read that people who are sensitive/allergic to gluten have damaged villai which makes it hard to absorb food which I suspect is what was happening to me.

Enemas seem like a good idea to me but could they in fact do any damage?

Ads by Google:
Sorry if this is in the wrong section or if I'm being too graphic but I'm trying to decide whether enemas are a good idea.

I'm told it's good to completely wash out and cleanse your colon as there can be old waste in there that could even be years old. Well I gave up gluten a month ago... I'm not sure whether I do have gluten intoerance or celiac disease but I've put on over 3kgs which is amazing for me as I've never been able to put weight on. So I've read that people who are sensitive/allergic to gluten have damaged villai which makes it hard to absorb food which I suspect is what was happening to me.

Enemas seem like a good idea to me but could they in fact do any damage?

I don't think an enema would do any damage but I also don't think it would accomplish what you are hoping it would as usually an enema only uses a relatively small amount of water. On the other hand, perhaps you're thinking of a "colon cleanse" (which is really just a super enema)? I haven't had this done but have heard descriptions from someone who did...I had severe C for a while and was looking into solutions

warning TMI: in this case they attach a hose and a lot of water is sent (gently) up into the bowels (you'll end up looking very pregnant) and then the procedure is reversed and the waste is discarded.

I'm not sure though how damaging this would be? perhaps check with an alternative health provider in your area s/he will know of a reputable cleanser ( what do you call these people??? :lol: ) who would be able to give a qualified opinion. Google 'colon cleanse" and your city/town and there's likely to be a few entries

GI doctors usually recommend flushing out with Miralax. That is what I used before a colonoscopy and definitely completed the task!! LOL

I believe it is a matter of how much you drink in a short period of time - once things started running clear is when I stopped.

Jennifer

If you have severe constipation an enema might be helpful otherwise your colon does not need 'cleaning'.

Research has shown that colons do not need cleansing when they are not impacted with feece (constipation). Enemas clean out the large bowel and gluten is absorbed in the small bowel so it would have no effect to reduce the side effects of being glutened. Understanding your frustration, but this will not alleviate the issue

I think enemas are one of the best detoxifiers we have. While cleansing herbs are good to reach small intestine(as enema gets just to the large one), they are often very irritating to digestive system, and can't do, what enemas do- when the liver dumps toxins into the large blood vessel(sorry can't remember specific name for it) near the colon, enema water helps to carry them out of the system. That's why Gerson recommends to use coffee in enemas to stimulate the liver. So, when I fast or just happened not to be able to eat for longer than usual, I always do enemas to avoid migraines, and they do work.

Gerson wrote, that when he put his cancer patients on his juice and unrefined food regimen, he made them take enemas every two hours at the beginning - day and night, because if he didn't -they might have slipped into coma from toxin overload in their blood as they are being dumped there during detoxification. Of course, that is for very sick people, once a day is probably enough for most.

I think enemas are one of the best detoxifiers we have. While cleansing herbs are good to reach small intestine(as enema gets just to the large one), they are often very irritating to digestive system, and can't do, what enemas do- when the liver dumps toxins into the large blood vessel(sorry can't remember specific name for it) near the colon, enema water helps to carry them out of the system. That's why Gerson recommends to use coffee in enemas to stimulate the liver. So, when I fast or just happened not to be able to eat for longer than usual, I always do enemas to avoid migraines, and they do work.

Gerson wrote, that when he put his cancer patients on his juice and unrefined food regimen, he made them take enemas every two hours at the beginning - day and night, because if he didn't -they might have slipped into coma from toxin overload in their blood as they are being dumped there during detoxification. Of course, that is for very sick people, once a day is probably enough for most.

First of all, you are replying to a thread that is over 3 years old and the original poster may not see it.

Secondly, I would never recommend an enema, especially a coffee enema ---to anyone with celiac or inflammatory bowel diseases like Crohn's.

"...... it has been reported to cause rectal burns from high temperatures, and inflammation of the colon from the strength of the chemical ingredients in the coffee beans, according to a report by B. Keum published in the American Journal of Gastroenterology in 2010.

and may cause acute colitis:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19077527

and Polymicrobial enteric septicemia:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6710988

and death:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7420666

I cannot find any medical evidence to suggest that someone "needs" an enema to be healthy, (unless they have fecal impaction) and certainly not a daily one.

First of all, you are replying to a thread that is over 3 years old and the original poster may not see it.

Secondly, I would never recommend an enema, especially a coffee enema ---to anyone with celiac or inflammatory bowel diseases like Crohn's.

"...... it has been reported to cause rectal burns from high temperatures, and inflammation of the colon from the strength of the chemical ingredients in the coffee beans, according to a report by B. Keum published in the American Journal of Gastroenterology in 2010.

and may cause acute colitis:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19077527

and Polymicrobial enteric septicemia:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6710988

and death:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7420666

I cannot find any medical evidence to suggest that someone "needs" an enema to be healthy, (unless they have fecal impaction) and certainly not a daily one.

Well, of course, people have to know, what they are doing, and not to use hot water or so much water that their intestines break(duh!), I have been using them for quite a while and never had any ill effects from them.

As far as medical studies go, science is a slut(with a very few exeptions)-they find things, that they are paid for. And there is very little money to be made from enemas, if any.

I was looking for threads about enemas since I wanted to see, what others do, and search on this board doesn't give me them from most recent,

Well, of course, people have to know, what they are doing, and not to use hot water or so much water that their intestines break(duh!), I have been using them for quite a while and never had any ill effects from them.

As far as medical studies go, science is a slut(with a very few exeptions)-they find things, that they are paid for. And there is very little money to be made from enemas, if any.

I was looking for threads about enemas since I wanted to see, what others do, and search on this board doesn't give me them from most recent,

Your opinion of peer-reviewed medical articles aside, there isn't much posted here because again, people with inflammatory bowel diseases should not have regular enemas. The colon's lining is raw and damaged.

If someone is suffering from severe constipation, that is a different story.

Enemas can be helpful for severe constipation - of course care should be utilized.

Coffee enemas are not used to remedy compaction - a very small quantity of organic coffee can be used to stimulate the liver to release toxins and was originally used to reduce pain, but this is a very different technique from using water to flush the colon.

I had never used the enema to relieve constipation until my holistic doc recommended them a couple years ago - I was not pleased with the suggestion at the time ;) -- I can say that I now prefer having this simple technique to get things moving rather than suffering up to a week or longer as I had in the past by not having things move along naturally.

I am also thankful that things have been moving more on their own lately :P

k.

The leading cancer organization does not think this treatment is wise nor is it approved for use in the US.

http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/TreatmentsandSideEffects/ComplementaryandAlternativeMedicine/DietandNutrition/gerson-therapy

Enemas can be helpful for severe constipation - of course care should be utilized.

Coffee enemas are not used to remedy compaction - a very small quantity of organic coffee can be used to stimulate the liver to release toxins and was originally used to reduce pain, but this is a very different technique from using water to flush the colon.

I had never used the enema to relieve constipation until my holistic doc recommended them a couple years ago - I was not pleased with the suggestion at the time ;) -- I can say that I now prefer having this simple technique to get things moving rather than suffering up to a week or longer as I had in the past by not having things move along naturally.

I am also thankful that things have been moving more on their own lately :P

That sounds like the proper use of an enema. Occasionally for constipation.

The posters idea of the everyday use of an enema, is not normal or natural. The intestine is closed (except when needed to poop) for a reason. It isn't meant to have stuff put in it.

I realize there are a very few people who seem to enjoy them.

I hoped to hear more from people who actually used them, not from people who read or heard about it. Anyway, they do work for me, and I always use them, when I fast.