12 replies to this topic

#1 dostoyevsky

dostoyevsky

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:57 AM

Sorry if this is in the wrong section or if I'm being too graphic but I'm trying to decide whether enemas are a good idea.

I'm told it's good to completely wash out and cleanse your colon as there can be old waste in there that could even be years old. Well I gave up gluten a month ago... I'm not sure whether I do have gluten intoerance or celiac disease but I've put on over 3kgs which is amazing for me as I've never been able to put weight on. So I've read that people who are sensitive/allergic to gluten have damaged villai which makes it hard to absorb food which I suspect is what was happening to me.

Enemas seem like a good idea to me but could they in fact do any damage?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 maile

maile

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:34 AM

Sorry if this is in the wrong section or if I'm being too graphic but I'm trying to decide whether enemas are a good idea.

I'm told it's good to completely wash out and cleanse your colon as there can be old waste in there that could even be years old. Well I gave up gluten a month ago... I'm not sure whether I do have gluten intoerance or celiac disease but I've put on over 3kgs which is amazing for me as I've never been able to put weight on. So I've read that people who are sensitive/allergic to gluten have damaged villai which makes it hard to absorb food which I suspect is what was happening to me.

Enemas seem like a good idea to me but could they in fact do any damage?

I don't think an enema would do any damage but I also don't think it would accomplish what you are hoping it would as usually an enema only uses a relatively small amount of water. On the other hand, perhaps you're thinking of a "colon cleanse" (which is really just a super enema)? I haven't had this done but have heard descriptions from someone who did...I had severe C for a while and was looking into solutions

warning TMI: in this case they attach a hose and a lot of water is sent (gently) up into the bowels (you'll end up looking very pregnant) and then the procedure is reversed and the waste is discarded.

I'm not sure though how damaging this would be? perhaps check with an alternative health provider in your area s/he will know of a reputable cleanser ( what do you call these people??? :lol: ) who would be able to give a qualified opinion. Google 'colon cleanse" and your city/town and there's likely to be a few entries
Enterolab:
Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA 11 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA 18 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score <300 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)
Fecal Anti-casein (cows milk) IgA 9 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (Subtype 5,5)
(this makes sense, my mother had MS)

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

#3 Green Eyes

Green Eyes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:56 AM

GI doctors usually recommend flushing out with Miralax. That is what I used before a colonoscopy and definitely completed the task!! LOL

I believe it is a matter of how much you drink in a short period of time - once things started running clear is when I stopped.

Jennifer
Jennifer

7/17/08 - Positive Celiac diagnosis with biopsy
8/1/08 - Positive Celiac results from blood work
Gluten Free since 8/1/08
8/12/09 - Celiac Test Results - "Normal"

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,741 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:22 PM

If you have severe constipation an enema might be helpful otherwise your colon does not need 'cleaning'.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 Country Girl

Country Girl

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:29 PM

Research has shown that colons do not need cleansing when they are not impacted with feece (constipation). Enemas clean out the large bowel and gluten is absorbed in the small bowel so it would have no effect to reduce the side effects of being glutened. Understanding your frustration, but this will not alleviate the issue
2 year old son with celiac disease, dx 11-08

#6 peacefirst

peacefirst

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

I think enemas are one of the best detoxifiers we have. While cleansing herbs are good to reach small intestine(as enema gets just to the large one), they are often very irritating to digestive system, and can't do, what enemas do- when the liver dumps toxins into the large blood vessel(sorry can't remember specific name for it) near the colon, enema water helps to carry them out of the system. That's why Gerson recommends to use coffee in enemas to stimulate the liver. So, when I fast or just happened not to be able to eat for longer than usual, I always do enemas to avoid migraines, and they do work.
Gerson wrote, that when he put his cancer patients on his juice and unrefined food regimen, he made them take enemas every two hours at the beginning - day and night, because if he didn't -they might have slipped into coma from toxin overload in their blood as they are being dumped there during detoxification. Of course, that is for very sick people, once a day is probably enough for most.

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

I think enemas are one of the best detoxifiers we have. While cleansing herbs are good to reach small intestine(as enema gets just to the large one), they are often very irritating to digestive system, and can't do, what enemas do- when the liver dumps toxins into the large blood vessel(sorry can't remember specific name for it) near the colon, enema water helps to carry them out of the system. That's why Gerson recommends to use coffee in enemas to stimulate the liver. So, when I fast or just happened not to be able to eat for longer than usual, I always do enemas to avoid migraines, and they do work.
Gerson wrote, that when he put his cancer patients on his juice and unrefined food regimen, he made them take enemas every two hours at the beginning - day and night, because if he didn't -they might have slipped into coma from toxin overload in their blood as they are being dumped there during detoxification. Of course, that is for very sick people, once a day is probably enough for most.

First of all, you are replying to a thread that is over 3 years old and the original poster may not see it.

Secondly, I would never recommend an enema, especially a coffee enema ---to anyone with celiac or inflammatory bowel diseases like Crohn's.

"...... it has been reported to cause rectal burns from high temperatures, and inflammation of the colon from the strength of the chemical ingredients in the coffee beans, according to a report by B. Keum published in the American Journal of Gastroenterology in 2010.

and may cause acute colitis:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19077527

and Polymicrobial enteric septicemia:

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/6710988

and death:

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/7420666

I cannot find any medical evidence to suggest that someone "needs" an enema to be healthy, (unless they have fecal impaction) and certainly not a daily one.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#8 peacefirst

peacefirst

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:57 AM

First of all, you are replying to a thread that is over 3 years old and the original poster may not see it.

Secondly, I would never recommend an enema, especially a coffee enema ---to anyone with celiac or inflammatory bowel diseases like Crohn's.

"...... it has been reported to cause rectal burns from high temperatures, and inflammation of the colon from the strength of the chemical ingredients in the coffee beans, according to a report by B. Keum published in the American Journal of Gastroenterology in 2010.

and may cause acute colitis:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19077527

and Polymicrobial enteric septicemia:

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/6710988

and death:

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/7420666

I cannot find any medical evidence to suggest that someone "needs" an enema to be healthy, (unless they have fecal impaction) and certainly not a daily one.

Well, of course, people have to know, what they are doing, and not to use hot water or so much water that their intestines break(duh!), I have been using them for quite a while and never had any ill effects from them.
As far as medical studies go, science is a slut(with a very few exeptions)-they find things, that they are paid for. And there is very little money to be made from enemas, if any.
I was looking for threads about enemas since I wanted to see, what others do, and search on this board doesn't give me them from most recent,

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

Well, of course, people have to know, what they are doing, and not to use hot water or so much water that their intestines break(duh!), I have been using them for quite a while and never had any ill effects from them.
As far as medical studies go, science is a slut(with a very few exeptions)-they find things, that they are paid for. And there is very little money to be made from enemas, if any.
I was looking for threads about enemas since I wanted to see, what others do, and search on this board doesn't give me them from most recent,

Your opinion of peer-reviewed medical articles aside, there isn't much posted here because again, people with inflammatory bowel diseases should not have regular enemas. The colon's lining is raw and damaged.

If someone is suffering from severe constipation, that is a different story.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#10 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

Enemas can be helpful for severe constipation - of course care should be utilized.

Coffee enemas are not used to remedy compaction - a very small quantity of organic coffee can be used to stimulate the liver to release toxins and was originally used to reduce pain, but this is a very different technique from using water to flush the colon.

I had never used the enema to relieve constipation until my holistic doc recommended them a couple years ago - I was not pleased with the suggestion at the time ;) -- I can say that I now prefer having this simple technique to get things moving rather than suffering up to a week or longer as I had in the past by not having things move along naturally.

I am also thankful that things have been moving more on their own lately :P

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

k.

The leading cancer organization does not think this treatment is wise nor is it approved for use in the US.

http://www.cancer.or.../gerson-therapy

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#12 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

Enemas can be helpful for severe constipation - of course care should be utilized.

Coffee enemas are not used to remedy compaction - a very small quantity of organic coffee can be used to stimulate the liver to release toxins and was originally used to reduce pain, but this is a very different technique from using water to flush the colon.

I had never used the enema to relieve constipation until my holistic doc recommended them a couple years ago - I was not pleased with the suggestion at the time ;) -- I can say that I now prefer having this simple technique to get things moving rather than suffering up to a week or longer as I had in the past by not having things move along naturally.

I am also thankful that things have been moving more on their own lately :P

That sounds like the proper use of an enema. Occasionally for constipation.

The posters idea of the everyday use of an enema, is not normal or natural. The intestine is closed (except when needed to poop) for a reason. It isn't meant to have stuff put in it.

I realize there are a very few people who seem to enjoy them.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#13 peacefirst

peacefirst

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:50 PM

I hoped to hear more from people who actually used them, not from people who read or heard about it. Anyway, they do work for me, and I always use them, when I fast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: