This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Any Celiac(s) From Canada

Gerri

hockeymomofceliacchild Rookie

Hi fellow Canadians

Im excited to see other from Hamilton Ontario!!!!!!! Definitely going to check out the food places recommended. I've only been diagnosed for 1 week.

My brother took me to the whole foods in Hamilton and I was in heaven.lol Some of the items I buy locally were a couple bucks cheaper (and when it is my son's school snacks that helps a lot) they had a sale and I stocked up! lol wish we had one here.

• 2 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Annaatje Rookie

Hello there!

I live in Ottawa, Ontario. Moved here from Holland 6 years ago.

I'm new to the forum, my oldest DS just got diagnosed and the rest of us are now getting tested.

I'm so grateful for all the resources out there! And also the amount of gluten-free food available. We took my DS off wheat for about 1.5 years a couple of years ago and even in that short amount of time the gluten-free options have improved! I usually shop at Food Basics and they now have a gluten-free line of the Irresistible brand, their gluten-free breadcrumbs are a whole lot cheaper than other brands I've seen :D

DougE Rookie

hi i am from nova scotia

i am a 42 years old and i went for testing yesterday for celiac

i am trying to go gluten free but its just in so many foods that i did not even think when i bought these sauages for a gluten-free meal, that one of the ingredients is toasted wheat crumbs and i got sick after the meal, im still learning

Hi collgwg,

Sorry to hear about your ordeal with the sausages. I do have some good news. Sweet Williams sausages made right here in Nova Scotia are all gluten-free. They sell them at some of the farmers markets.

collgwg Contributor

thanks doug i found that james lamm has all gluten free sauages and have made some great dishes with it

now just to stay away from soy gluten and lactose ill be good

• 1 month later...
challengeaccepted Newbie

thanks doug i found that james lamm has all gluten free sauages and have made some great dishes with it

now just to stay away from soy gluten and lactose ill be good

Such fun! So many of us from all the provinces and territories. I am north of Toronto, off Lake Simcoe. Originally from Belleville Ontario.

I took my diagnosis as the dream come true that it was to me. Finally a reason, a definable, medical reason, that others could understand. No more pain, no more embarrassment, no more bloating up and looking pregnant randomly, rashes from my job...I was a Baker :-)No more 2-3 times a year hospital visits, with an exhausted husband asleep by my bedside while I cried silently in frustration that I was back here AGAIN.

I already knew how to bake and cook, though for a week or two I felt a bit overwhelmed and just ate salad and chicken lol. Then my appetite and creativity kicked in. I have always been the daughter that cooked for my family since I was 9, it was a passion! SO now, when we visit my mother, or sister or M-in law, I still make everything, but its all gluten free now. X-mas dinner was a mescalin greens salad with lobster in a lemon and butter vinagrette, followed by orange roasted root vegetables, mashed potatoes and Leg of Lamb. Pavlova with fresh whipped cream and berries for dessert. Anyone who says they don't know what to eat...give it time, you will find your way. It just takes time.

Without my husbands support, before and after diagnosis..well I don't even want to think about that.

To anyone trying to find certain items at a local store but coming up short, I would say, check out a recipe and have a go at it yourself. Making your own food is very satisfying and somethings that you may have thoughts were complicated are not. Things like beef jerky, or yogurt/sour cream, or even your own potato chips. All super simple things. If you need any recipes, PM myself, or check out the recipes section.

I am super excited to see so many Canadians on this forum, lets keep this thread rolling!!

Reba32 Rookie

I live in Whitby, ON. I've been gluten free since December 2009, and moved to Whitby May 2010.

I know there's a gluten free bakery here, but I also stay away from refined sugars and high carb options, so not too many baked goods (or manufactured gluten-free foods) unless I make them myself with nut flours and xylitol or eryrithritol or stevia.

I like the sausages that I get at FreshCo, gluten free and preservative free. I'm also loving the new Schneider's Natural meats! The hot dogs are awesome :)

love2travel Mentor

I live in Alberta, three hours from the nearest safe restaurant and absolutely no gluten-free bakeries to my knowledge (except perhaps Calgary which is about 6-7 hours away). However, I scratch cook and bake anyway so rarely want/need that other stuff. I was diagnosed with celiac in February and have been strictly gluten-free ever since. Not feeling any different at all but then I did not have obvious glutening symptoms prior to my diagnosis. A couple of small changes - smooth fingernails and skin.

As a big time foodie sometimes I find it difficult not being able to participate in food fairs and so on but am definitely used to the new lifestyle!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 months later...
rainer83 Newbie

I'm from Mississauga!

Was diagnosed by a Naturopath, after finding out testing isn't covered here, and I didn't have the money. She put me on a gluten free diet 2 years ago after trying other diets (Dairy free, soy free, etc) which none worked, except for the gluten free diet.

BTW - if anyone travels to Niagara Falls, there's a great gluten free bakery in Vineland, ON called Old Oak Country Market. They have the best selection of cookies, cereals, breads, muffins... even pasta and chicken pot pie, and it's all at a reasonable price.

• 1 month later...
sora Community Regular

Toronto!

I are really annoyed about ontario not covering celiac testing. I think its just criminal.

If any of you have a good celiac friendly doc in Toronto (GI) please PM me.

I am very new here and from Ottawa, Ontario.

The Celiac test is covered by OHIP if you have it done at a hospital blood clinic. Check first because some hospitals won't take outside patients.

Charlotte

red island Newbie

Hi everybody

I'm from PEI, since I've been diagnosed I found that there are alot of celiacs on the island so finding gluten free food has been pretty easy

Just visited my brother in Beamsville, Ont and they took me to the Farmers Market there where I got the most amazing gluten-free pita bread - I think it was from Barb's Frozen Pitas - they are also at Grimsby and will ship their products.

• 3 weeks later...
Renee Michelle Newbie

Hi everyone, I am from Essex, Ont. just outside of Windsor. I am new to Celiac as well!!! Hope to talk to someone on here soon!!!!

• 5 months later...
Skittles Enthusiast

Hello, I am newly diagnosed and I am from Nova Scotia! :)

DougE Rookie

Hello, I am newly diagnosed and I am from Nova Scotia! :)

Welcome Skittles. It is good to see a post from a fellow Nova Scotian. I am in Cole Harbour.

• 4 weeks later...
andrewp Newbie

Hey Im Andrew, 25, and recently started gluten free! Its kind of hard but Ive definately noticed a difference in how i feel by just modifying my diet! It would be great to meet with people and see how they are doing!

Mateto Enthusiast

Newfoundland!

We have a lot of people with gluten intolerance and coeliac, and I read that that is because most of us are of Irish/British descent.

The same would go for Nova Scotia and PEI too, wouldn't it?

But hello :P

princessofwitsend Newbie

I am new to Celiac (54 year old female), even though I have watched what I ate for many years. I had Gluten problems for many years. Always sick at Christmas, and holidays, acid reflux problems getting worse, vitamin D deficiency, vitamin B12 low, and a list of other health issues getting worse.

Last year my doctor at the time told me to go Gluten Free for the rest of my life. He hoped it would stop the progression of other autoimmune diseases. Since going gluten free my diabetes is controlled, and my sleep apnea's pressure is coming down. I have since been diagnosed with Celiac.

I am from Ontario Canada, and wonder if there are there are others from Canada here.

Hugs

Gerri

Hi I am from st thomas ontario and have just found out I have a gluten problem ..It is a lot of work ..

• 3 weeks later...
lewiss Rookie

Hi,

I'am from alberta, canada. Just new to celiac.com Hope to learn lots and the ride so far has been on of fatigue, hope it gets better.

sljh

nvsmom Community Regular

I'm new from Alberta too. gluten-free for about 3 weeks. :)

psawyer Proficient

I know I replied once before, but there are eight pages. I am in Canada, in the City of Markham, NE of Toronto.

lewiss Rookie

I know I replied once before, but there are eight pages. I am in Canada, in the City of Markham, NE of Toronto.

Hello Peter:

Nice to see that your are from canada, the city of toronto. How long have you been gluten-free, and have you noticed any changes in your health, i would be interested to know.

Lewiss

psawyer Proficient

Hello Peter:

Nice to see that your are from canada, the city of toronto. How long have you been gluten-free, and have you noticed any changes in your health, i would be interested to know.

Lewiss

I was diagnosed and went gluten-free in July of 2000, at 46, so twelve years now. I had severe damage to my villi, so my healing time ran quite a while. I am the healthiest I have ever been.

My personal journal into celiac hell began in earnest in 1995, but looking back over my life I can see things that may have been celiac disease symptoms as far back as early childhood. Eczema as a child, various gastric issues all my adult life, migraines, anemia. It took a while to recover, but all of those symptoms are gone. I do have occasional diarrhea, maybe because I accidentally pick up some gluten, but I'm more inclined to think that it just happens once in a while. It is no longer several times a day. B)

lewiss Rookie

I was diagnosed and went gluten-free in July of 2000, at 46, so twelve years now. I had severe damage to my villi, so my healing time ran quite a while. I am the healthiest I have ever been.

My personal journal into celiac hell began in earnest in 1995, but looking back over my life I can see things that may have been celiac disease symptoms as far back as early childhood. Eczema as a child, various gastric issues all my adult life, migraines, anemia. It took a while to recover, but all of those symptoms are gone. I do have occasional diarrhea, maybe because I accidentally pick up some gluten, but I'm more inclined to think that it just happens once in a while. It is no longer several times a day. B)

Hi:

Do have to watch your glycemic loading of certain food, that spike your blood sugar on the gluten-free lifestyle, l would be interested to know. Also where is your energy level high low, mine is moderate to low. please comment.

Lewiss

love2travel Mentor

Hello, fellow Albertans! :)

RMQ Newbie

Hello! I am new too! (To the forum and to Celiac Disease!)

I am in Calgary and am recently diagnosed. I feel somewhat lucky, as my symptoms have progressed so quickly since the birth of my child 11 months ago that I haven't suffered too long before being diagnosed.

I have quickly developed symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis, am losing my thyroid functioning (auto-immune issue), and generally felt extremely foggy and fatigued. Occasionally I get gut wrenching spasms and diarrhea. For the last 15 years I've been told I had IBS and a few years ago had issues with cervical cancer which appear to be resolved. I had no idea I was systematically poisoning myself with almost everything I was eating!! Unimaginable! I had no knowledge at all about celiac. Now that I am educating myself, I can see how many people in my family seem to be suffering from symptoms. I have read that depression is a symptom of gluten intolerance, and several family members have struggled with clinical depression. No one else seems to want to get tested yet and sign up for the gluten free diet.

I have become allergic to eggs too, and hope to repair my gut before I become allergic to more foods! I am doing well following the diet but do get 'glutened' from time to time.

I want to say something to the folks on this forum and elsewhere who have celiac disease - I feel so grateful that there is already such a compassionate and trailblazing community. It is really these forums that have helped me to feel not alone and that many people really get my experience! No one in my personal circle can really understand my experience, and I was feeling pretty alone. Since discovering this forum, advice on eating out, and great cookbooks etc., I actually feel like I belong to a community. And this is indeed a positive thing. I look forward to being a part of a great community, weathering my ups and downs, and hopefully feeling really well again (or maybe for the first time in memory??)!

Anyway, sorry for the ramble, but it feels good to 'talk' about it, and to say thanks for the support. This forum has already been so valuable to me over the last months!

Rebecca

• 5 weeks later...
GwenO Apprentice

Hello from Nanaimo. My 11 year old daughter newly diagnosed.

Archived