133 replies to this topic

#31 K-Dawg

K-Dawg

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 03:48 PM

I've found Manny's corn tortillas here in our store, looked them up at the company's website and they should be gluten-free. And LaTortillaFactory makes gluten-free teff tortillas - check the www.latortillafactory.com, I'm almost sure they are rice-free as well.

PS: I still haven't found any starch free sour cream and gluten-free jerky here. :(

Thanks Pac! Guess I'm going to whole foods tomorrow. I'll check out the LaTortillaFactory site as well.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 08:50 AM

Metro has corn tortillas in the bakery section along with the regular ones. They are even marked gluten-free!

#33 K-Dawg

K-Dawg

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 11:02 AM

Metro has corn tortillas in the bakery section along with the regular ones. They are even marked gluten-free!

No way! Thanks!

I'll have to check out the metro near me. If there are none, I'll be asking you what metro you go to. lol

#34 ibanezgurlie

ibanezgurlie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:06 PM

I currently live in Michigan, but moving to North Bay Ontario beginning of September!!!

#35 JillianLindsay

JillianLindsay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:01 PM

I grew up in the GTA and am currently in Winnipeg (diagnosed here in the 'Peg)

I'm brand new here, hi to my fellow Canadians :)

Hi there!
I'm from Winnipeg, MB.

I have a cousin who is Celiac from Halifax also.

gluten-free since July 8, 2009!

#36 K-Dawg

K-Dawg

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:12 PM

Hey Jillian:

Welcome to the board!!

I live in toronto, but I"ve spent lots of time in the Peg as my mother lived there. She recently moved to a middle of nowhere place (lol) called Roseisle.

Hope you find this board helpful!

I grew up in the GTA and am currently in Winnipeg (diagnosed here in the 'Peg)

I'm brand new here, hi to my fellow Canadians :)

Many autoimmune disorders: Graves Disease in 1998, Psoriasis on or about 2000, Hashimoto's in 2008.

Severely anemic in 2007 (undetectable iron levels)

Elevated liver enzymes (ALT and AST) as of October 2008.

Negative blood test for celiac disease in February 2009, followed by diagnosis of celiac disease in April 2009 after positive biopsy.

#37 chefkevin

chefkevin

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:37 AM

Hi There,

New to the site today, and just looking around the board to see what the chattter is. Fellow Canuck Chef Kevin here from sleepy little Bear River, Nova Scotia... down around Digby. I'm a personal chef & instructor by trade (and genetics), operate a catering business and two websites (so far). My wife and I are also importers of organic coconut oil, coconut flour and other coconut products from Vietnam, all of which are certified gluten-free, and we supply all four Atlantic Provinces with our organic products.

I noticed this sushi problem and wanted to let you know that Superstore here carried Life Source soy sauce which is gluten-free, so you should be able to use that and still get your sushi fix :)

One thing I did notice (or didn't notice really) is any reference to coconut flour as a gluten-free alternative to other flours. Coconut flour is low-carb, has the highest fibre of nearly any flour on the planet and is amazing to bake/cook with. Many of my cooking class participants are either celiac or are wheat free and absolutely love it. Not sure if I'm allowed to add my website or email address here, but if so I will send you folks a link to check out more information on our website here at The Down East Coconut Company. I'm sure one of the moderators will let me/us know :)

Yours in Natural Health,
Chef Kevin

I'm having a great difficulty figuring out sushi. I know soy sauce is out, but is miso soup and wasabi? Also, is there anything added to the rice that I need to avoid? Any other Canadians know these answers? Honestly....I can give up the beer....but really...sushi is just too much to ask! lol

#38 LBethanyC

LBethanyC

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:47 AM

I'm from Newfoundland, Haha.
Bethany
Celiac since birth, only discovered recently.
Also lactose intolerant, with severe acid reflux.

#39 RideAllWays

RideAllWays

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:40 PM

I'm from white rock, BC, about to move to Kamloops.

#40 bpyner

bpyner

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:40 PM

Hi - I'm from Delta BC just south of Vancouver. I was diagnosed with kidney disease 2 1/2 years ago and did a massive diet change. I was then diagnosed with Celiac in July 2009. I don't have any abdominal problems but do suffer from autoimmune issues. I have been gluten free for about a month, now, and already feel less tired and achy. I hoping to halt osteoporosis and avoid any more iron IV's. Not sure if my kidneys will improve but just to feel well is my aim!!

I have found that Save on Foods/Price Right/ Overwaitea are a wonderful source of gluten free products. I haven't ventured into baking with different flours, yet, but will in the future.

Cheers
Barb

#41 lunasmom

lunasmom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:30 PM

Another Canuck here from Regina Saskatchewan. Just registered today!

Will post soon.

#42 Surattius

Surattius

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:52 AM

Hello all, Vancouver calling.
Anyone else with a recently-diagnosed depressed eight year old?
I'm getting tired of baking things that he doesn't even want to try.
Susan
Husband diagnosed by antibody test after Dermatitis Herpetiformis for over a year - 2000
Husband's brother and sister diagnosed - 2007?
Son diagnosed by antibody test after growth failure and low growth hormone Aug 28 2009
Gluten-free household: August 29, 2009

#43 JillianLindsay

JillianLindsay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 01:34 PM

Welcome Susan,

This category of the form http://www.celiac.co...php?showforum=7 has a lot of parents of children with celiac disease and this one http://www.celiac.co...hp?showforum=10 is specifically for parents with children with celiac disease. Of course, you're welcome to post anywhere you want :) but you might find those boards give you better responses.

Welcome & good luck,
Jillian

Hello all, Vancouver calling.
Anyone else with a recently-diagnosed depressed eight year old?
I'm getting tired of baking things that he doesn't even want to try.
Susan

gluten-free since July 8, 2009!

#44 Kay-dee

Kay-dee

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 12:12 PM

Heya, I'm in Kingston Ontario :)
"Mind over matter"

#45 MikeyD

MikeyD

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:03 PM

Hi I'm Mike, a Brit, living in Burlington, Ontario. Just joined this forum today.

Still awaiting diagnosis but been gluten free for nearly a month and feeling a million times better.
Kinda scared that I have to eat gluten again in the coming weeks ready for my biopsy.

Really lucky that there are two great health food stores just here in town who have been really, really helpful.
I'm learning to cook and loving it!

Good to be here! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: