#61 New to This

New to This

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:49 AM

Hi Krista,

I am from Toronto and diagnosed last fall. It is a challenge to say the least. I am finding some really good products though.

Last weekend I tried a new bread that my sister in law found for me to try. It is the closest thing that I have found to regular bread. I have found the website and you can order directly from them. The company is O'Doughs. I tried the Flax Bread and it is soft and fluffy and a decent enough size.

Some of the mixes are really good from Bob's Red Mill. They deliver to Canada and are really good. I have found Gluten Free Oatmeal from Cream Hill Estates out of Quebec. I can tolerate Oatmeal and it is good to bake with. I have also bought Pamela's All Purpose Baking flour and pancake mix. I did buy it in the States though. A big bag was about 18 dollars US and is enough for alot of products.

I am slowly finding out that I can substitute the gluten-free flour mix for regular flour in recipes. If you can find a cooking class for gluten-free cooking that is a good way to get started.

I have found that corn pasta is better then the rice pasta. I bought Mrs. Peepers corn pasta and it stays together and is not slimey like rice pasta nor does it become mush when you cook it.

I hope that this helps.

Lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#62 New to This

New to This

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:52 AM

Hi K Dawg,

I am here from Brampton. New to this as well. I have found a bread that is absolutely wonderful and it is produced here in Toronto. O'Doughs Flax Bread. They have a website and you can order from the factory.
It is soft and fluffy and a decent sized loaf. You could actually make a sandwich with this bread without toasting it.

I was diagnosed last fall and it is a challenge.

Good luck.

L

#63 tobie

tobie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 06:53 PM

Hi I'm Mike, a Brit, living in Burlington, Ontario. Just joined this forum today.

Still awaiting diagnosis but been gluten free for nearly a month and feeling a million times better.
Kinda scared that I have to eat gluten again in the coming weeks ready for my biopsy.

Really lucky that there are two great health food stores just here in town who have been really, really helpful.
I'm learning to cook and loving it!

Good to be here! :D

Hi Mike, im just curious what brought you to burlington all the way from england?! Also, what part of England are you from? Yrs ago i first heard of gluten when i was working for M&S as a student in England (milton keynes to be precise) and now here i am, diagnosed with celiac a yr ago....

cheers ;)
29 yo female living in Canada
symptomatic x15 yrs, misdiagnosed as IBS, stress
iron deficiency anemia x 10 yrs
march '09 TTG iga 201 - the MD who tested is forever my hero ;)
april '09 confirmed celiac via endoscopy + biopsy
march '10 TTG iga 46..still symptomatic but energy level very much improved, becoming discouraged by persistent D
new symptoms appeared post gluten-free diet: dry eyes/ mouth, excessive bruising, intense itching all over body
negative sjogrens antibodies, negative lower lip biopsy, despite persistent dry eyes/ mouth Sx --> inconclusive as per MDs..
no family Hx of celiac (both parents + brother = tested negative)
great granny type 1 diabetic

#64 Nor_TX

Nor_TX

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:24 PM

Originally born in Montreal, lived in Toronto for 49 years and now I am in Dallas Texas. I understand that Ontario Pizza Hut stores have gluten-free pizza - we don't. From what I've read, Ontario has many more options for gluten-free food than we do.
Gluten Intolerance, Colitis, IBS, Lactose and Casein Intolerance, Gastro-Paresis, GERD, Arthritis. Taking Remicade and Asacol, 2 Prilosec/day among other meds. Officially a senior citizen! New knee is doing well.. now about that other knee...

Food is in my dreams and in my nightmares!

#65 Stylo

Stylo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:45 PM

Burnaby, B.C. over here!

It's crazy to see so many people just a skytrain ride away.

I've been feeling sick for about two years ago, nauseous, stomach pain. It keeps getting worse. A year ago my fiance's best friend got a negative test for Celiac, but as his mom is a Celiac he went off gluten. He's been feeling great. It was my fiance who made the connection between our symptoms first, and now I find my mom who's been taking medication for IBS is now going gluten free after finding eliminating a lot of bread products has stopped her problems.

I had three vials of blood taken from me today, some sort of liver panel, and some sort of tissue test and a couple other things. Either way, I know the tests aren't always accurate and I plan on going gluten free.

And same with what others have said, I can't figure out sushi. I've found wheat free soy sauce brands to look for, but what about wasabi? And how would I find out what is exactly used in the preparation process that garuntees there is no gluten?

Nice to meet you all :)

#66 miaryan

miaryan

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 04:13 PM

Hi,

from the east side of toronto, ON which is Oshawa (i know i know one day soon i will move from this dirty town) good to know there are alot of us from Canada.

Mia :)

#67 BoyzMomma

BoyzMomma

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:43 AM

Hello from Beachville ontaio! (near london)

#68 Shell156

Shell156

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:23 PM

Hi everyone

I live in Richmond BC, I have been gluten free since August 2006 after struggling with huge digestive problems, stunted growth as a child, depression as a teen and young adult, etc etc.

I hope I can help with Stylo and Miloandotis' sushi question. I am SUPER sensitive so keep that in mind. I have never encountered sushi rice that is a problem here, although when I was in Quebec they told me I could not eat sushi at all the restaurants I went to. It turned out the rice vinegar they use there contains barley malt. I suppose it's something that is common there and not so common here.

When I go out for sushi, I call beforehand and inform them of my allergy. When I am there an ask them to use a clean knife every time they cut my rolls and I ask about the wasabi and rice vinegar. I use Bragg's liquid aminos (pure fermented soy sauce) because it is less expensive than the wheat free soy sauce I can get here. I had a bad reaction to miso once so I don't do it. I used go to a sushi restaurant called Iki, on Broadway and MacDonald. If the owner of the restaurant is working (his name is Kyo) I feel really comfortable because he is quite knowledgeable.

I hope that helps you! Please feel free to ask anymore questions about Vancouver!

#69 sarahsmommy

sarahsmommy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:58 PM

i'm Jennifer here in the lovely fraser Valley of BC. So happy to have found an entire board just for us.

I'm not celiac but like i say in signature i'm pretty darn close. Its been a challenge especially with inlaws who refuse to understand, and am now at the point where i'm not eating at their house anymore. I'll bring my own food b/c i know whats in it. LOL
Jennifer, mom to sarah wife to doug. We're both highly gluten intolerant, and therefore we're raising our 2 year gluten free as long as we need to. We're not celiac but my symptoms are strong enough that i basically live my life as celiac.

#70 eastvangal

eastvangal

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 12:27 PM

Hi,
I'm in Vancouver, BC. I diagnosed myself a year and a half ago and have yet to meet another live person with Celiac Disease, but glad to find support here in the ether.
I haven't had any tests and my doc just said if I feel better than just stay gluten-free.
-self-diagnosed Celiac Disease one-and-a-half-years ago.
-2004 Dx with Gitelman's Syndrome (dumping Mg, salt & potassium), no cause found, puzzling the kidney docs.
-(mis)diagnosed with IBS two times
-diagnosed with Depression & on antidepressants for nearly two decades, currently weaning off successfully.
-anorexic at 12-years-old (-to 65lbs). I did not eat without restriction until about age 30.
-did psychotherapy, CBT, naturopathy,colonics, macrobiotic diet, yeast-free diet, fasting, fiber, exercise, transcendental meditation...in search of relief for gastrointestinal and psychological symptoms.

#71 Northern Celiac

Northern Celiac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:34 AM

Hi,
I'm in Vancouver, BC. I diagnosed myself a year and a half ago and have yet to meet another live person with Celiac Disease, but glad to find support here in the ether.
I haven't had any tests and my doc just said if I feel better than just stay gluten-free.

Hey, I'm in northern bc(ft nelson) there's a huge gluten free comunity in Vancouver. Just google gluten free vancouver
Cheers

#72 Cloverstone

Cloverstone

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:44 PM

In Vancouver B.C. here...actually just on the outskirts, recently moved to Cloverdale. Nice to meet you all!!! :)

#73 HalifaxMom

HalifaxMom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:45 AM

Hi all,

New here and looking for some info.
We recently learned that we have Celiac in my family. Looking at the symptom profiles, my daughter has a cluster of issues that seem highly suggestive of Celiac. I too have had some of the more subtle symptoms. My question is, we have made an appointment with our GP, but how long can we expect the process of diagnosis to take? We are originally from the States and still somewhat unfamiliar with the process of referrals and wait times here in Canada. We are currently in Halifax. Anyone have experience? I have a gut feeling about my daughter and would like to start the diet ASAP but I know I must wait until she has been tested.

Thanks!

#74 Big Belly

Big Belly

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:52 PM

I am new to Celiac (54 year old female), even though I have watched what I ate for many years. I had Gluten problems for many years. Always sick at Christmas, and holidays, acid reflux problems getting worse, vitamin D deficiency, vitamin B12 low, and a list of other health issues getting worse.

Last year my doctor at the time told me to go Gluten Free for the rest of my life. He hoped it would stop the progression of other autoimmune diseases. Since going gluten free my diabetes is controlled, and my sleep apnea's pressure is coming down. I have since been diagnosed with Celiac.

I am from Ontario Canada, and wonder if there are there are others from Canada here.

Hugs

Gerri

Hi Gerri; I'm from North Bay Ontario Have been Biopsied Celliac Since 2005 WOW what a change in eating habits. SinceI now adherr stictley to my gluten free diet I've Gotten a big belly And can't control my weight very well So have trouble with Diabettes as well. But life goes on so have fun Live, Love&,Laugh Ron

#75 marie1107

marie1107

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:31 AM

Hi fellow canadians! I'm from Montreal!
The wonderful freedom of the gluten-free life...:)
>>(It's not always that easy but there is nothing like really having my life back:))

Diagnosed 02/2008.
Symptoms started when I was 9-10 years old. More or less the typical ones, did everything I could to keep going until 2007 when I could not function at all anymore (all typical symptoms + severe bladder, liver and anxiety problems).
I finally found a good GI doctor and got my life back and I'm now doing better everyday!
Also dairy-free, soy-free, yeast-free, sugar-free and mostly grain-free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: