133 replies to this topic

#76 chrisv

chrisv

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:33 AM

Hi folks. I'm in Hamilton, Ontario. Thanks for being here.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#77 sophie2020

sophie2020

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:44 AM

Hi All,

I've been gluten-free for 5 years, diagnosed in Oz, now living in Ottawa. It took me a couple of years to really feel better - but I did have some improvements almost immediately. So hang in there :o)

Susan:

It must be so tough for kids to not be allowed gluten. It's hard enough for adults! There are lots of really yummy products around, but also a lot that taste strangely akin to sawdust mixed with mud ... not that I've tried sawdust mixed with mud but you get the idea :o)

Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto sells gluten-free food, and also has a really nice recipe section. The choc chip cookies are exactly like Mom used to make, and none of my non-gluten-free friends could stop eating them!

I haven't posted here for a long time, and not sure if it's OK to set a link, but if this one disappears, feel free to PM me and I'll send it to you.

http://www.specialty...free&ssID=14520

cheers,

Maggie

#78 sinfield

sinfield

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 05:21 PM

Hi folks. I'm in Hamilton, Ontario. Thanks for being here.

I'm from Hamilton too!!! Any good restaurants or bakery that you have found in this area?

#79 adab8ca

adab8ca

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:39 PM

oh i am from Burlington ontario!
there is a bakery/cafe on john street in burlington i mean to try out

www.kindfood.com (i am not affiliated with them in any way, hope putting their website here isn\t a problem!)
TTG >200 (normal <10)
IgA gliadin 24 (normal <11)
IgG gliadin 38 (normal <11)
Endoscopy showed damage that looked like "classic celiac", biopsy showed total villous atrophy
Started gluten-free diet Aug 31, 2010
Only real symptoms are huge weight loss and neuropathy

#80 sinfield

sinfield

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:31 PM

oh i am from Burlington ontario!
there is a bakery/cafe on john street in burlington i mean to try out

www.kindfood.com (i am not affiliated with them in any way, hope putting their website here isn\t a problem!)

I will have to try that place out!!! I'm always looking for new places to go too!
Also on Plains road east, theres this bakery that is going to open soon; Its www.turtledovesbakery.ca
It sounds like they are going to have some good stuff there :D

#81 mommyto3

mommyto3

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:58 AM

Hello to all my fellow Cannucks!!!!

Want to give a shout out from Mississauga, Ontario.

And for anyone in the area, there's an awesome gluten free bakery in Oakville (on Lakeshore) called Voila Gluten Free Bakery. Their stuff is awesome!

Looking forward to sharing with you all :D

#82 lukester

lukester

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:48 AM

Hello to all my fellow Cannucks!!!!

Speaking of Canucks, I am from Vancouver myself. There are a few bakeries here that sell gluten free goods.

#83 Deb H

Deb H

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:38 AM

Hello Everyone!!

I am so excited to find other Canadians to relate to, especially product wise.. I have not met anyone else with Celiac or DH.. So frustrating.. I was just diagnosed this year.. It is very hard to manover in this new world. There is really not alot of info or support here in Oshawa Ontario..

I have met alot of great and helpful people on some online support groups including on here but all are in USA and other countries and not many conversations relate to me other than the actual disease.. I would be so nice to know people I can relate to about stores and restuarants..

PM me anytime..
Huggss Deb

#84 Gerri

Gerri

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:18 AM

I still am not sure, for sure if I am celiac.... Going glutten free (or relatively) has allowed me to get off the drugs, ... I am back on the diet now,(just started a few days ago) and want to insist to my doctor that I get a proper diagnosis. Long story.... I need some support here. Just to stick to the diet, and re-think 20 years of psychobabble.

If your feeling better off gluten, why go back on it. My doctor gave a note stating I must follow the Celiac, diet, for rest of my life. For many years I was following the Gluten free diet (at the time about 50%), and my labs showed low celiac, most doctors would not have gave a positive diagnosis. Also I was told to do a gluten challenge, which landed me in the hospital 3 times during the challenge, this was enough, with the low celiac lab to get my doctor's note.

I am learning to cook gluten free. I don't have regular flour in my home.

My severe sleep apnea, has improved greatly. Now I am mild sleep apnea. I have other health issue some have improved - others worsening. They say once you have one autoimmune, others will following. I am hoping the statement is wrong - the way my health is going I don't think so.

Hope your feeling better

Hugs
Gerri

#85 HSM

HSM

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:20 PM

LONDON ONTARIO, GLUTEN FREE 1 YEAR 2 MONTHS SO FAR

#86 kerrig

kerrig

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 06:05 AM

We had brownies from www.turtledovesbakery.ca bakery and my celiac son who is 10 said they were the best brownies he has ever had....gluten free or not!

#87 punkinrice

punkinrice

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:14 PM

Hi There! I am in St. John's,Newfoundland, and also newly diagnosed. I have had trouble since childhood, and have been quite symptomatic for the past 13 years...surprise surprise also diagnosed with IBS before they finally figured it out. I tried the gluten free diet a few years ago, and was much better, but didn't really realize how to read the labels, so didn't get 100% better. I found that without the diagnosis I caved to constant criticism, and had "just one piece of pizza" here or there, or "just one slice of birthday cake". I was quite sick by the time I'd had enough and asked for a biopsy...which came back positive. I find this forum to be so incredibly helpful and supportive! Knowing you're not alone and have a world full of friends to ask questions of...who have been there and don't criticize, but sympathize and support. You're in the right place :)

#88 Kemmanuel

Kemmanuel

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:07 PM

Im am from Vancouver Island. There are a few gluten free bakeries and health food stores around that provide gluten-free foods, but I have yet to find a local support group.

#89 ewandelm

ewandelm

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:54 PM

Check out Mex-I-Can on James st.

Really really good Mexican food, resonably priced (usually 12.99 for a plate), and most items on the menu are labelled gluten free. The atmosphere is not that great, and the service is slow, but it is VERY VERY worth the wait.

#90 luckymac

luckymac

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:13 AM

Hello from Montreal, male 37 years old, just diagnosed last november! uff :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: