133 replies to this topic

#91 sandiz

sandiz

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:49 AM

Im am from Vancouver Island. There are a few gluten free bakeries and health food stores around that provide gluten-free foods, but I have yet to find a local support group.

I agree with you,I too am from Vancouver Island. Emailed the chapter in Nanaimo and no response.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#92 Twinklebug

Twinklebug

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:08 AM

Hi,

I'm from Regina, Sask. and new to the site as well.

Now that I've found it, I couldn't live without it. So much helpful info.

#93 over50

over50

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:17 PM

I agree with you,I too am from Vancouver Island. Emailed the chapter in Nanaimo and no response.

over50
I am from Victoria and find the Vic chapter very helpful. Also you can access the Celiac Assoc newsletter online,which gives great info and also tells what bakeries, restaurants in Nanaimo are available. I was diagnosed June 2010 and am still struggling with the cursed ailment and not really feeling better, in fact some days I think that I feel worse than before I was diagnosed.
Hope you can contact the Nanaimo chapter, they are very active.
Good luck

#94 CeliacGirl487

CeliacGirl487

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:12 PM

12 from Ontario... diagnosed with Celiac in about October 2008... new to Celiac.com.. I find it extremely useful in my everyday life! :lol:

#95 etta694

etta694

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:00 AM

Hi from

Southwest prairies..wheat :( and oil. Gluten free for 9ish months. Discovering other food issues now.. like soy and dairy. (but feeling a thousand times better than before)
Anemia and IBS through my life
2005 Joint pain, exhaustion, general feeling of not being well 2006 Beginning of testing for everything but Celiac 2008 Bloating, more muscle stiffness, feeling sicker, more exhausted-testing 'normal' 2010 March insides begin to shut down, cough that won't go away 2010 June Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, biopsy - all show no problems
Self diagnosed gluten intolerant - went gluten free. Within 3 days feeling better.
After 5 days - insides began to move
Now - feel better than I have felt for 15 years (except when I gluten myself.. which I'm good at)

#96 hockeymomofceliacchild

hockeymomofceliacchild

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:05 PM

I'm from Newfoundland, Haha.

My brother is heading to Newfoudland sometime this summer for about 12weeks to work. Any suggestions on gluten free eating in NF. I'm sure he would appreciate it :)

#97 hockeymomofceliacchild

hockeymomofceliacchild

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:15 PM

We are from the little town of Elmvale :) North of Barrie, Ont. My son was diagnosed earlier this year and the only reason he was tested was because I insisted knowing my older brother has DH/celiac for about 10 years. I wouldn't have had a clue otherwise thinking he just had echema...little did I know all the OTHER symptoms that were from celiac. Thanks to this group I have learned A LOT! lol

Welcome fellow Canadians! :)

#98 milkmommy

milkmommy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:17 PM

Hi fellow Canadians

Im excited to see other from Hamilton Ontario!!!!!!! Definitely going to check out the food places recommended. I've only been diagnosed for 1 week.
Melissa
1996- (mis)Diagnosed with IBS. Depression/Anxiety disorder
2003 - Chronic anemia of unknown origin
2007 - Miscarriage for unknown reasons, (?celiac related)
Feb 2011 - positive ttg
April 2011 - endoscopy positive with visable damage, (scalloping/decrease folds)
- Biopsy marsh 3, gastritis, (other things I cant understand lol)
April 20th 2011 - Gluten free

#99 Poppi

Poppi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:44 AM

Hi, I'm Sara. I'm in Nanaimo. I'm not formally diagnosed but have been gluten free for 4 weeks now and am feeling great. The couple little slip ups and the horrible results have convinced me not to make myself ill for official testing.

Sara

Busy mom to 3 great kids (4, 8 and 18)

Gluten free since April 6, 2011 ~ Also sensitive to coconut, coffee and food dyes

Joint pain, mouth sores, back and neck pain, migraines, stomach pain, chronic fatigue, ADD and depression are all gone.
Wishing I had been diagnosed before celiac robbed me of the cartilage in my toes and the 3 babies we lost to miscarriages.

#100 collgwg

collgwg

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:12 AM

hi i am from nova scotia
i am a 42 years old and i went for testing yesterday for celiac
i am trying to go gluten free but its just in so many foods that i did not even think when i bought these sauages for a gluten-free meal, that one of the ingredients is toasted wheat crumbs and i got sick after the meal, im still learning

#101 hockeymomofceliacchild

hockeymomofceliacchild

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:34 PM

Hi fellow Canadians

Im excited to see other from Hamilton Ontario!!!!!!! Definitely going to check out the food places recommended. I've only been diagnosed for 1 week.

My brother took me to the whole foods in Hamilton and I was in heaven.lol Some of the items I buy locally were a couple bucks cheaper (and when it is my son's school snacks that helps a lot) they had a sale and I stocked up! lol wish we had one here.

#102 Annaatje

Annaatje

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:39 PM

Hello there!

I live in Ottawa, Ontario. Moved here from Holland 6 years ago.

I'm new to the forum, my oldest DS just got diagnosed and the rest of us are now getting tested.

I'm so grateful for all the resources out there! And also the amount of gluten-free food available. We took my DS off wheat for about 1.5 years a couple of years ago and even in that short amount of time the gluten-free options have improved! I usually shop at Food Basics and they now have a gluten-free line of the Irresistible brand, their gluten-free breadcrumbs are a whole lot cheaper than other brands I've seen :D
DS1 (5) Celiac (positive blood test March '11, positive biopsy May '11)
DS2 (2) negative blood test!!
DS3 (2 months) figuring out what to do with gluten introduction once he is ready for solids

me (31) waiting for blood test results
DH (34) waiting for blood test results

#103 DougE

DougE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:20 PM

hi i am from nova scotia
i am a 42 years old and i went for testing yesterday for celiac
i am trying to go gluten free but its just in so many foods that i did not even think when i bought these sauages for a gluten-free meal, that one of the ingredients is toasted wheat crumbs and i got sick after the meal, im still learning

Hi collgwg,
Sorry to hear about your ordeal with the sausages. I do have some good news. Sweet Williams sausages made right here in Nova Scotia are all gluten-free. They sell them at some of the farmers markets.

#104 collgwg

collgwg

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:48 PM

thanks doug i found that james lamm has all gluten free sauages and have made some great dishes with it

now just to stay away from soy gluten and lactose ill be good

#105 challengeaccepted

challengeaccepted

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:52 PM

thanks doug i found that james lamm has all gluten free sauages and have made some great dishes with it

now just to stay away from soy gluten and lactose ill be good

Such fun! So many of us from all the provinces and territories. I am north of Toronto, off Lake Simcoe. Originally from Belleville Ontario.

I took my diagnosis as the dream come true that it was to me. Finally a reason, a definable, medical reason, that others could understand. No more pain, no more embarrassment, no more bloating up and looking pregnant randomly, rashes from my job...I was a Baker :-)No more 2-3 times a year hospital visits, with an exhausted husband asleep by my bedside while I cried silently in frustration that I was back here AGAIN.

I already knew how to bake and cook, though for a week or two I felt a bit overwhelmed and just ate salad and chicken lol. Then my appetite and creativity kicked in. I have always been the daughter that cooked for my family since I was 9, it was a passion! SO now, when we visit my mother, or sister or M-in law, I still make everything, but its all gluten free now. X-mas dinner was a mescalin greens salad with lobster in a lemon and butter vinagrette, followed by orange roasted root vegetables, mashed potatoes and Leg of Lamb. Pavlova with fresh whipped cream and berries for dessert. Anyone who says they don't know what to eat...give it time, you will find your way. It just takes time.

Without my husbands support, before and after diagnosis..well I don't even want to think about that.

To anyone trying to find certain items at a local store but coming up short, I would say, check out a recipe and have a go at it yourself. Making your own food is very satisfying and somethings that you may have thoughts were complicated are not. Things like beef jerky, or yogurt/sour cream, or even your own potato chips. All super simple things. If you need any recipes, PM myself, or check out the recipes section.

I am super excited to see so many Canadians on this forum, lets keep this thread rolling!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: