133 replies to this topic

#106 Reba32

Reba32

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:16 AM

I live in Whitby, ON. I've been gluten free since December 2009, and moved to Whitby May 2010.

I know there's a gluten free bakery here, but I also stay away from refined sugars and high carb options, so not too many baked goods (or manufactured gluten-free foods) unless I make them myself with nut flours and xylitol or eryrithritol or stevia.

I like the sausages that I get at FreshCo, gluten free and preservative free. I'm also loving the new Schneider's Natural meats! The hot dogs are awesome :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#107 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:01 AM

I live in Alberta, three hours from the nearest safe restaurant and absolutely no gluten-free bakeries to my knowledge (except perhaps Calgary which is about 6-7 hours away). However, I scratch cook and bake anyway so rarely want/need that other stuff. I was diagnosed with celiac in February and have been strictly gluten-free ever since. Not feeling any different at all but then I did not have obvious glutening symptoms prior to my diagnosis. A couple of small changes - smooth fingernails and skin.

As a big time foodie sometimes I find it difficult not being able to participate in food fairs and so on but am definitely used to the new lifestyle!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#108 rainer83

rainer83

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:25 AM

I'm from Mississauga!

Was diagnosed by a Naturopath, after finding out testing isn't covered here, and I didn't have the money. She put me on a gluten free diet 2 years ago after trying other diets (Dairy free, soy free, etc) which none worked, except for the gluten free diet.

BTW - if anyone travels to Niagara Falls, there's a great gluten free bakery in Vineland, ON called Old Oak Country Market. They have the best selection of cookies, cereals, breads, muffins... even pasta and chicken pot pie, and it's all at a reasonable price.
Diagnosed by a Naturopath by an elimination diet, gluten free 2 years, finally able to live again after years of suffering.

#109 sora

sora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:01 AM

Toronto!

I are really annoyed about ontario not covering celiac testing. I think its just criminal.

If any of you have a good celiac friendly doc in Toronto (GI) please PM me.

I am very new here and from Ottawa, Ontario.
The Celiac test is covered by OHIP if you have it done at a hospital blood clinic. Check first because some hospitals won't take outside patients.
Charlotte

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

Ah, but I was so much older then, Im younger than that now.

#110 red island

red island

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:20 PM

Hi everybody

I'm from PEI, since I've been diagnosed I found that there are alot of celiacs on the island so finding gluten free food has been pretty easy

Just visited my brother in Beamsville, Ont and they took me to the Farmers Market there where I got the most amazing gluten-free pita bread - I think it was from Barb's Frozen Pitas - they are also at Grimsby and will ship their products.

#111 Renee Michelle

Renee Michelle

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:39 PM

Hi everyone, I am from Essex, Ont. just outside of Windsor. I am new to Celiac as well!!! Hope to talk to someone on here soon!!!!

#112 Skittles

Skittles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

Hello, I am newly diagnosed and I am from Nova Scotia! :)
Diagnosed with celiac by blood test in the beginning of April 2012 and confirmed with endoscopy April 20th 2012.
Gluten free since May 2012 (for 5 months.. relapsed for about a month and have been gluten free again since Nov 2012)
Corn & corn syrup free since May 2012
Dairy limited since Aug 2012
Nightshades limited since Aug 2012

Fructose limited since Nov 2012

#113 DougE

DougE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:26 PM

Hello, I am newly diagnosed and I am from Nova Scotia! :)

Welcome Skittles. It is good to see a post from a fellow Nova Scotian. I am in Cole Harbour.

#114 andrewp

andrewp

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:54 PM

Hey Im Andrew, 25, and recently started gluten free! Its kind of hard but Ive definately noticed a difference in how i feel by just modifying my diet! It would be great to meet with people and see how they are doing!

#115 Mateto

Mateto

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:49 AM

Newfoundland!

We have a lot of people with gluten intolerance and coeliac, and I read that that is because most of us are of Irish/British descent.
The same would go for Nova Scotia and PEI too, wouldn't it?

But hello :P
Gluten-free since St George's Day this year :)

#116 princessofwitsend

princessofwitsend

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:29 AM

I am new to Celiac (54 year old female), even though I have watched what I ate for many years. I had Gluten problems for many years. Always sick at Christmas, and holidays, acid reflux problems getting worse, vitamin D deficiency, vitamin B12 low, and a list of other health issues getting worse.

Last year my doctor at the time told me to go Gluten Free for the rest of my life. He hoped it would stop the progression of other autoimmune diseases. Since going gluten free my diabetes is controlled, and my sleep apnea's pressure is coming down. I have since been diagnosed with Celiac.

I am from Ontario Canada, and wonder if there are there are others from Canada here.

Hugs

Gerri

Hi I am from st thomas ontario and have just found out I have a gluten problem ..It is a lot of work ..

#117 lewiss

lewiss

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:42 AM

Hi,
I'am from alberta, canada. Just new to celiac.com Hope to learn lots and the ride so far has been on of fatigue, hope it gets better.

sljh

#118 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

I'm new from Alberta too. gluten-free for about 3 weeks. :)
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#119 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

I know I replied once before, but there are eight pages. I am in Canada, in the City of Markham, NE of Toronto.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#120 lewiss

lewiss

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:20 PM

I know I replied once before, but there are eight pages. I am in Canada, in the City of Markham, NE of Toronto.

Hello Peter:
Nice to see that your are from canada, the city of toronto. How long have you been gluten-free, and have you noticed any changes in your health, i would be interested to know.

Lewiss

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: