• Please log in to reply

133 replies to this topic

#121 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

Hello Peter:
Nice to see that your are from canada, the city of toronto. How long have you been gluten-free, and have you noticed any changes in your health, i would be interested to know.

Lewiss

I was diagnosed and went gluten-free in July of 2000, at 46, so twelve years now. I had severe damage to my villi, so my healing time ran quite a while. I am the healthiest I have ever been.

My personal journal into celiac hell began in earnest in 1995, but looking back over my life I can see things that may have been celiac disease symptoms as far back as early childhood. Eczema as a child, various gastric issues all my adult life, migraines, anemia. It took a while to recover, but all of those symptoms are gone. I do have occasional diarrhea, maybe because I accidentally pick up some gluten, but I'm more inclined to think that it just happens once in a while. It is no longer several times a day. B)
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#122 lewiss

lewiss

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:40 AM

I was diagnosed and went gluten-free in July of 2000, at 46, so twelve years now. I had severe damage to my villi, so my healing time ran quite a while. I am the healthiest I have ever been.

My personal journal into celiac hell began in earnest in 1995, but looking back over my life I can see things that may have been celiac disease symptoms as far back as early childhood. Eczema as a child, various gastric issues all my adult life, migraines, anemia. It took a while to recover, but all of those symptoms are gone. I do have occasional diarrhea, maybe because I accidentally pick up some gluten, but I'm more inclined to think that it just happens once in a while. It is no longer several times a day. B)

Hi:
Do have to watch your glycemic loading of certain food, that spike your blood sugar on the gluten-free lifestyle, l would be interested to know. Also where is your energy level high low, mine is moderate to low. please comment.

Lewiss

#123 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

Hello, fellow Albertans! :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#124 RMQ

RMQ

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:15 PM

Hello! I am new too! (To the forum and to Celiac Disease!)
I am in Calgary and am recently diagnosed. I feel somewhat lucky, as my symptoms have progressed so quickly since the birth of my child 11 months ago that I haven't suffered too long before being diagnosed.
I have quickly developed symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis, am losing my thyroid functioning (auto-immune issue), and generally felt extremely foggy and fatigued. Occasionally I get gut wrenching spasms and diarrhea. For the last 15 years I've been told I had IBS and a few years ago had issues with cervical cancer which appear to be resolved. I had no idea I was systematically poisoning myself with almost everything I was eating!! Unimaginable! I had no knowledge at all about celiac. Now that I am educating myself, I can see how many people in my family seem to be suffering from symptoms. I have read that depression is a symptom of gluten intolerance, and several family members have struggled with clinical depression. No one else seems to want to get tested yet and sign up for the gluten free diet.
I have become allergic to eggs too, and hope to repair my gut before I become allergic to more foods! I am doing well following the diet but do get 'glutened' from time to time.
I want to say something to the folks on this forum and elsewhere who have celiac disease - I feel so grateful that there is already such a compassionate and trailblazing community. It is really these forums that have helped me to feel not alone and that many people really get my experience! No one in my personal circle can really understand my experience, and I was feeling pretty alone. Since discovering this forum, advice on eating out, and great cookbooks etc., I actually feel like I belong to a community. And this is indeed a positive thing. I look forward to being a part of a great community, weathering my ups and downs, and hopefully feeling really well again (or maybe for the first time in memory??)!
Anyway, sorry for the ramble, but it feels good to 'talk' about it, and to say thanks for the support. This forum has already been so valuable to me over the last months!
Rebecca

#125 GwenO

GwenO

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:17 AM

Hello from Nanaimo. My 11 year old daughter newly diagnosed.

#126 ilindsay

ilindsay

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:56 PM

Yes, I am from Ontario - Whitefish (near Sudbury). Moved here from Toronto about 8 years ago. where r the rest of u?

#127 lorraineh

lorraineh

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:20 PM

I'm in Vancouver and new to the gluten-free life, but I feel so much better off the Gluten.
self diagnosed Gluten Intolerant since July 2012 - blood test inconclusive
gluten-free since July 2012

#128 Jodster72

Jodster72

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:52 PM

Hello there... Niagara Falls, Ontario here!!!

Jody

#129 Toni25

Toni25

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

Hello fellow Canadians!

My name is Toni and I am from the Fraser Valley BC, 25 years old.
I am new to this website, and new to celiac also. Just love this site- so much helpful info, I really feel the sense of community on here.
Its nice to not feel alone in this battle. :)

#130 Dennis Erickson

Dennis Erickson

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:40 PM

Hi, I just joined the forum today. I was diagnosed in 2001, after years of suffering. The doctor I had refused to test me even though I have a sister that has been a celiac for 20+ years. I suffered through many barium xrays and other tests on a regular basis and was told I had irritable bowel syndrome. I fired that doctor and found one who had me tested via a trans glutenaise (spelling) test and popped a very high number. They then did the biopsy to confirm it. My liver had started into cirrhosis and I had a very low vitamin B12 count. I went on a gluten free diet and six months later I was getting back to a normal as can be life. My wife has done an immense amount of research and come up with alternatives to almost everything I used to eat. We bake all our own and I live very well. Dinning out is tricky at times but not impossible. On another note my father passed away at age 77 of liver cancer. He had constant problems with diarrhea and could not tolerate many foods. I think he was an un diagnosed celiac. How many have died due to not being tested?

#131 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

Hi, I just joined the forum today. I was diagnosed in 2001, after years of suffering. The doctor I had refused to test me even though I have a sister that has been a celiac for 20+ years. I suffered through many barium xrays and other tests on a regular basis and was told I had irritable bowel syndrome. I fired that doctor and found one who had me tested via a trans glutenaise (spelling) test and popped a very high number. They then did the biopsy to confirm it. My liver had started into cirrhosis and I had a very low vitamin B12 count. I went on a gluten free diet and six months later I was getting back to a normal as can be life. My wife has done an immense amount of research and come up with alternatives to almost everything I used to eat. We bake all our own and I live very well. Dinning out is tricky at times but not impossible. On another note my father passed away at age 77 of liver cancer. He had constant problems with diarrhea and could not tolerate many foods. I think he was an un diagnosed celiac. How many have died due to not being tested?

Hi Dennis. Thanks for sharing your story. I too wonder how many have died with celiac-related cancers and other illnesses because they were not tested. It would likely be startling.

I was diagnosed 1.5 years ago and do all my own baking - always have, always will. Dining out and international travel (airports, delays...) are frustrating and challenging at times. We must drive three hours to eat out safely. Thank goodness I adore cooking! :D

Welcome here! :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#132 smalltown_t

smalltown_t

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:24 PM

Hello!  I'm from Stirling, Ontario.

#133 gen1975

gen1975

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

i am from ottawa canada. I was just diagnosed this morning with celiac disease and am at a loss. This diet seems so complicated!

#134 Life-Of-A-Gluten-Free-Wife

Life-Of-A-Gluten-Free-Wife

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

From Winnipeg, MB here! Very interesting to see others who are also from winnipeg!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: