25 replies to this topic

#1 melmak5

melmak5

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:00 AM

I am 28 years old. I have been gluten free for 1.5 years (woo hooo) and am at the stage where I need to reconsider my birth control options.

1. I was previously on hormone therapy "the pill" because I did not get my period for over 6 months. I was doing fine on it, but did not have a sexual partner and decided to stop taking it after 1+ years.

2. Last year I was on the Nuva Ring - before they figured out I had Celiac Disease they thought I had ovarian cysts. This product was not the one for me. (My body kept pushing it out and it became very uncomfortable)

3. I am very comfortable using latex condoms. But as of late, my period has gone wack-a-do. 30-51 days between cycles causing some level of concern (I just became an aunt because of 1 "oops" and whenever I am late I start to have nightmares about being pregnant)

So.........
I had a nice sit down chat with my lady bits doctor and we discussed IUDs: Mirena (5 year, plastic, hormonal) and ParaGuard (10 year, copper, non-hormonal)

First off, she took some blood and is re-checking that my thyroid is a-ok.

We also discussed going back on the pill, but I expressed my concern for 2 reasons:

a) If I am glutened my body goes nut-so and I am concerned about absorption and efficacy (I know what the studies say about villi damage occurring only after prolonged exposure to gluten - but if I am dealing with 8-11 bathroom trips a day while glutened, I am pretty sure my body isn't absorbing all it should.)

B) I have also had 2 friends, non-smokers who suffered from blood clots, attributed to their long-term use of birth control pills.

I was pretty against the Mirena, for the hormone reason, but she informed me that its only Progesterone (not estrogen - the hormone linked with blood clots) and that its a very low dose.

So I am now rethinking my stance. That if my blood work comes back and my thyroid is fine and my body is either not ovulating regularly or just likes to make up its own schedule, that perhaps the Mirena might be a solid choice.

GOOD, BAD, UGLY EXPERIENCES WITH IUDS?
Please share!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 melmak5

melmak5

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:03 AM

*That weird smiley was not intended. Oh sneaky key strokes... you foil me yet again!

#3 Rondar2001

Rondar2001

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:44 AM

I have one (although the non-hormonal one) and have been very happy with it. The first couple of periods were pretty crampy, but after that not so bad. After years of taking the pill and deproprevera (sp?), I have been quite satisfied with it.
DD diagnosed Celiac by biopsy May 2008 at 7 years old.
DD diagnosed with Asthma November 2009 at 8 years old.

#4 lizard00

lizard00

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:53 AM

I believe that Mirena is for use after you've a baby, not before. You need to recheck that with your doctor. I was considering it last year, but decided not to do, although I think it would have been my choice.

From their website:
http://www.mirena-us...right/index.jsp
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007
IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive
Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008
Soy free Jan 09

#5 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:54 AM

I used Mirena for about a year for period control. Loved it. It stopped 80% of my cramping.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#6 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:55 AM

I believe that Mirena is for use after you've a baby, not before.

This is the same statement made for all iuds
- James Watson

- Ashleigh Brilliant

#7 melmak5

melmak5

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:26 AM

The statement about IUDs being "good" or "appropriate" for women only after they have had at least one child has nothing to do with the product itself.

Some of the reasons include...

-Easier Insertion
since the IUD is inserted through the cervix, it is easier to insert an IUD in a woman who has already given birth, since the cervix has already opened

(there are tablet suppositories as well as on-site injections that can make insertion easier - having a baby is not a prerequisite)

-Possible increased risk of STD/STI
The idea is that since the IUD sits both in the vagina and in the uterus, there is an increased risk of certain STD/STIs and thought that women in "stable, committed, monogamous, heterosexual relationships are at a lower risk - since hypothetically the woman and her partner are sexually monogamous.

(I think its important to be aware of this risk, but not ok to deny a woman the right to access a form of contraception because of some mythical ideal that persons with a kid and who are in monogamous relationships remain so.)

-Possible damage and/or scarring
If an IUD is place incorrectly there is the possibility for scarring or an infection to occur.
I think it is really really important to speak with someone who is very familiar with insertion (both plastic and copper) so that s/he knows what s/he is doing.

I think informed consent is very important and denying people access to birth control stinks.

#8 Mother of Jibril

Mother of Jibril

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:10 AM

I was pretty against the Mirena, for the hormone reason, but she informed me that its only Progesterone (not estrogen - the hormone linked with blood clots) and that its a very low dose.

I'm using the Mirena (after giving birth twice). I was nervous about any kind of hormonal birth control because there's a history of breast cancer in my dad's family. My understanding is that the Mirena gives you a very small dose of progesterone and it's concentrated in your uterus... unlike BC pills, which affect hormones levels throughout your body. Insertion was a piece of cake. I had some problems with abdominal cramps (ugh), but that was before I knew about celiac disease! I wrongly assumed the IUD was the problem.

I have read a few stories about young women having problems with the IUD getting embedded in their uterus... otherwise, I agree with what you said about the politics of birth control.
Gluten free 08/08
Son has IgE allergies to peanuts and corn
Hashimoto's, MCAD, pregnancy loss at 17 weeks
HLA-DQB1*0302 (celiac), HLA-DQB1*0301 (gluten sensitive)
Serological equivalent 3,3 (subtype 8,7)
Extensive family history of autoimmune disorders and related symptoms

#9 lizard00

lizard00

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:16 PM

This is the same statement made for all iuds

Gotcha ;)

The first time I ever looked in IUC/IUD was last year when my son was almost 3 and I didn't want to be on the pill because of the hormones. I read about it, but would have no reason to know otherwise.

I'll put that in the "file". :)
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007
IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive
Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008
Soy free Jan 09

#10 I hate gluten!

I hate gluten!

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:39 PM

I love my IUD. I could never take birth control in the past due to major migraines no matter how low the dose, but my IUD has been great. All politics aside, it is your decision and good luck.
Sara Beth
Self diagnosed in Jan 2009, waiting for all tests Feb 2009
Helping 5 year old son with Celiac Diet Change Jan 2009 who test neg Dec 2008
Never eating gluten again after waking up from my fog two days after diet change

Helping my family fight Celiacs one bite at a time.

#11 Bell

Bell

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:27 PM

It's not necessarily true that IUDs are only for those who have given birth. I chose to have the paraguard even though I've no children. It wasn't PARTICULARLY uncomfortable to have put in - though obviously not much fun either. However I did then get Bacterial Vaginosis, which i think happens fairly commonly after the procedure.
My periods have always been irregular, but after the iud they got less, and seemed to have completely stopped now. I had to have the iud checked a few months ago and the pain was Absolutely Flipping Excrutiating. I don't know whether my insides are seizing up because of lack of menstruation or what, but I would advise you to look very carefully into your choice - it's not always easy to know how your body will react.

#12 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:11 AM

I would also ask your doctor what drugs she plans to use to insert it. Mine, in her words, "numbed the heck out of my cervix". Made it a pretty unmemorable event. I had read other's experiences where they were told to take 4 advil before coming in. This also might be sufficient, so think about what your feelings are towards drugs, and ask.
- James Watson

- Ashleigh Brilliant

#13 HiDee

HiDee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:40 AM

I chose the paraguard because I didn't want the hormones but I've never had irregular cycles so you may need the hormones to help regulate that. I like the paraguard because my husband and I don't like condoms and as soon as I had it removed I got pregnant, no waiting for your body to adjust like sometimes with the pill. It does create a little extra mucousy discharge but nothing a new pantyliner everyday can't handle.

#14 munkee41182

munkee41182

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:27 AM

I haven't had children or been pregnant and I have the Mirena...I love it! My periods are regular (although longer than when I was on BC....they're about every 35 days now instead of every 25).....and my periods are barely anything. Wear a liner for 2 days and you're as good as new! I will say, the first period I had after I had it inserted I thought I was pregnant. My body was gettnig use to not being on all the hormones and my breasts became really swollen (like 1 cup extra swollen).
Jami

#15 melmak5

melmak5

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:48 AM

I am going with the Mirena and have an appt. this afternoon.

I am a little nervous (I often get panic attacks in doctor's offices) but I think I will be ok.

I was prescribed a suppository to soften my cervix, which I took last night.

I have advil in my system (cramps were so bad they woke me up a few times last night with bad pain) and a meal prepared for when I get home and snacks at the ready. Someone mentioned a heating pad would be a really welcomed addition to some sofa time, so I am going to pick one of those up before I had over.

I am really excited about the idea of a somewhat more regular period and making my womb an inhospitable place!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: