8 replies to this topic

#1 hermitgirl

hermitgirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:03 AM

No longer have gluten free on their packaging..... They have changed their packaging up, removed the gluten free, but the ingredients look the same. Has anyone called them on this yet?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 disneyfan

disneyfan

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:04 AM

No longer have gluten free on their packaging..... They have changed their packaging up, removed the gluten free, but the ingredients look the same. Has anyone called them on this yet?

I just bought a package from Publix last week. I saw on the back of the package is does say "gluten free" on the bottom of the back above Heating Instructions. However, I have been wondering about these for a while. I used to use LaBanderita's corn tortillas but switched back to these because they hold up a little better when heated.

Something has changed in my diet and I wondered it if due to this product. I have not called because I saw gluten free on the package but still have some questions.

#3 Lisa16

Lisa16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:30 AM

I noticed this too-- plus there was a marked absence from the grocery shelves here. I also notice they have taken off the COA statement about "made in a plant that also processes...." Uh-oh.

I have been thinking about these in terms of flying flour. It seems like this would be a very hard thing to keep gluten-free. For example, in my grocery, the packages are stcked right in there with the regular flour ones.

I know they are more expensive, but I have changed to the ivory teff wraps or the rice wraps from the freezer section. They are not as yummy either. :-(

#4 Puddy

Puddy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:16 AM

I am a Mission Corn Tortilla fan and the package I bought the other day does say Gluten Free on it. Here is some info I got off their website and it's dated 2009 so I'm thinking it's current.

Are Mission Foods products gluten free?

Mission Foods Corn products are produced with 100% corn flour; wheat ingredients are not added to the formulation. These products include Corn Tortillas, Corn Tortilla Chips, Taco Shells, Tostadas, Corn Gorditas, and Sopes. These products are produced in plants that also process wheat tortillas.

Is there any wheat, rye, barley, or oats in corn tortillas?

No. Mission corn tortillas do not contain wheat, rye, barley, or oat ingredients.

Are wheat flour tortillas produced in the same lines as corn products?

No, our corn production lines are dedicated to corn products only. Wheat Flour tortillas are produced in dedicated lines.

Is wheat used in any way to make the corn products?

There are no wheat ingredients or incidental wheat present in the products or on the lines that produce corn products.

Is there a potential for cross-contamination of corn products with wheat ingredients?

All Mission Foods plants have strict food safety programs in place, including a very comprehensive Allergen Control Program.
Toni

Gluten Free - February 16, 2008

Diagnosed with positive bloodwork and biopsy.

No digestive symptoms for the past 25 years, but did have severe anemia, osteoporosis, lactose intolerance and RLS at time of diagnosis.

#5 NicoleAJ

NicoleAJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:46 AM

Thanks for posting this, Puddy. I'd noticed a while back that they stopped putting "gluten free" on the tortilla chips, but the package of tortillas and taco shells that I've been buying at Vons still have the labelling and I've not had any problems with these.
Diagnosed July 2004

#6 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:01 PM

I eat them with no problems.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#7 hermitgirl

hermitgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:44 PM

I was just curious. The packaging is different from the last one I bought. I know they used to have gluten free on it. Thinking it may be more of a liabilty issue. I haven't had issues with them in the past. Nor with the few I have had so far from this package.

#8 hez

hez

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:50 PM

I noticed the new packaging as well. My package does not say gluten-free. Since the ingredients looked the same I figured I would give it a try. I have not had any problems.

Hez

#9 terri

terri

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:26 AM

I called them yesterday as they no longer have gluten free on their packaging. She said all the packaging had to be changed as they make flour tortillas in the same room but on different lines. Flour dust takes 24 hours to settle, so I guess the risk of cross contamination is high enough that they can not call them gluten free.
Terri
Northern Virginia

gluten-free since March 27, 2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: