This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Leaky Gut

Nicole H.

Nicole H. Explorer

Is leaky gut what it actually sounds like? Can it be diarrhea and constipation? Ive been gluten free for almost 3 weeks now. I used to go to the bathroom a lot. like 3-4 times a day (not diarrhea tho, always a regular bowel) and always gassy. My first couple days on gluten-free diet, my bowels had changed and it was down to 1 or 2 with very easy bowels and barely any gas. The past week Ive been up and down with 2 or 3. One day was 1 which was surprising. The past 2 to 3 days tho Ive had some crampiness in my stomach. And today a little more gassier than the last 2 weeks. Is it leaky gut, or am I healing? or did I eat gluten by accident? I have been as careful as I can be...even calling companies about the "natural flavor" in things. Any thoughts? Should I see my doctor?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

"Leaky gut" actually refers to any condition that creates microscopic holes in your intestines. Celiac disease can do this... so can overuse of antibiotics, infections, cancer, candida... it's a symptom, not a disease by itself. The problem with a leaky gut is that it allows undigested particles of food to leak out into your bloodstream. Your immune system (rightly) freaks out and starts creating antibodies... and this can lead to all kinds of autoimmune disorders. It's a vicious cycle that can take a lot of time and effort to recover from.

One sign that you have a leaky gut is if you eat certain foods with a lot of color (beets, dark leafy greens, etc...) and the color comes out in your urine :rolleyes: There's also a test you can do where you drink a sugar solution and measure how much ends up in your urine... I've never done it, but apparently some naturopaths will order this kind of test.

kbtoyssni Contributor
One sign that you have a leaky gut is if you eat certain foods with a lot of color (beets, dark leafy greens, etc...) and the color comes out in your urine :rolleyes: There's also a test you can do where you drink a sugar solution and measure how much ends up in your urine... I've never done it, but apparently some naturopaths will order this kind of test.

Interesting. Do you know why this happens? I can't think of a reason why off the top.

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast
Interesting. Do you know why this happens? I can't think of a reason why off the top.

Apparently, if you have a leaky gut the color can bleed out of your intestines into your blood and urine (where you really notice it). Healthy intestines shouldn't do that ;) Beets give me bright pink urine! Or at least they used to... I haven't tried it in a while.

chasbari Apprentice

I notice it most with asparagus. really changes the smell of it as well.

CS

CLeeB Rookie
I notice it most with asparagus. really changes the smell of it as well.

CS

Just fyi, the particular odor of urine after asparagus has everything to do with genetics. Only some people create the odor, and only some can actually smell it. Both are determined by genetics. It doesn't really have anything to do with celiac or leaky gut.

chasbari Apprentice
Just fyi, the particular odor of urine after asparagus has everything to do with genetics. Only some people create the odor, and only some can actually smell it. Both are determined by genetics. It doesn't really have anything to do with celiac or leaky gut.

Well, that's kind of cool in a weird sort of way. Until I went gluten-free I was never aware of it...of course I was also not as obsessed with poo-poo and pee pee either.. Help, I am regressing as we speak... I just typed poo-poo and pee-pee. Anyway, thanks for the info.

Chuck

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Bell Apprentice

Is it really true about the colour of beet coming out in your urine being a sign of leaky gut? I remember as kids, me and my young brothers and sisters all laughing hysterically at each others purple- filled potties after pickled beetroot. Surely we weren't all suffering as toddlers and young children?

_After this we used to eat as much as we could, just to see the change of colour. It was very exciting for us back then - our parents didn't approve of too much tv.

Even now if I eat beetroot I get dark red/purple D. It's awful. I really can't eat it any more, and really miss bortsch.

Archived