11 replies to this topic

#1 HerbalHippie

HerbalHippie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:29 PM

I've read in other threads that Kraft is a company that gives full disclosure on their labels. But something is not right, because I got glutened off their barbecue sauce. I used the Mesquite Smoked barbecue sauce to make ribs Friday night (yes, I checked label in store before I bought, and double-checked in online) and I got sick. Glutened sick, which I'm familiar with how it feels. This does not happen with the Original flavor.

Just wanted to give everyone fair warning about this flavor.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 03:02 PM

I've read in other threads that Kraft is a company that gives full disclosure on their labels. But something is not right, because I got glutened off their barbecue sauce. I used the Mesquite Smoked barbecue sauce to make ribs Friday night (yes, I checked label in store before I bought, and double-checked in online) and I got sick. Glutened sick, which I'm familiar with how it feels. This does not happen with the Original flavor.

http://kraftfoods.cu...amp;p_topview=1
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 03:15 PM

This is super information from Kraft:

http://www.kraftfood...enFreeFoods.htm

I am sorry that you became ill, but I make a point of buy Kraft whenever I can.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,994 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 03:24 PM

I make a point of buy Kraft whenever I can.

As do I.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 03:55 PM

Is there any possibility whatsoever that maybe it was some kind of a flu bug? Lots of viruses are going around right now....

I trust Kraft absolutely, completely 100%...... never had a problem with them.
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,684 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:25 AM

What kind of distilled vinegar is used in it? For most of us gluten grains when distilled are fine but for the rare oddball like myself a reaction will occur. This doesn't mean it isn't safe for most celiacs as the majority do tolerate it.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#7 sbj

sbj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:44 AM

Just wanted to chime in for those of us who are trying to watch our calories, fat, carbs, sugars, and gluten. I recently discovered Walden Farms products at Sprouts:

http://www.waldenfar.../sauce_bbq.html

They use Splenda so no good if you're scared of that stuff but their BBQ sauce which is 'okay' has no calories, fat, carbs, gluten or sugars of any kind. It's no Sweet Baby Rays but it works. Their salad dressings also have no calories, fat, carbs, gluten or sugars.

#8 LL04

LL04

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:51 AM

The saying under my name says it all about how I feel about mainstream products. To those of you who have not ever become sick by eating supposedly "gluten-free" products by Kraft I would simply like to point out that cc WILL happen in facilities that are not dedicated. It would be silly to believe that it is impossible for someone to get glutenized by eating something that was manufactured in one of Kraft's facilities. It probably happens more than you think but may often be written off as it was by posters here as the flu or some other possibility.

I am an ultra sensitive celiac that actually passes out within hours of eating gluten. When I was first diagnosed and I didn't really realize how serious the cc issue was, I ate many mainstream products that were supposedly gluten free. I can tell you that with the exception of a very few items, I passed out everytime, Kraft products included. That's my personal experience.
Lauralee
Diagnosed Celiac's March/05
Diagnosed Lyme Disease March/07
2 out of 4 children gluten intolerant
husband not tested
whole family gluten free

If it's not made in a dedicated gluten free environment, it's NOT gluten free...it's "gluten not intentionally added!!!"

#9 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:49 PM

The saying under my name says it all about how I feel about mainstream products. To those of you who have not ever become sick by eating supposedly "gluten-free" products by Kraft I would simply like to point out that cc WILL happen in facilities that are not dedicated. It would be silly to believe that it is impossible for someone to get glutenized by eating something that was manufactured in one of Kraft's facilities. It probably happens more than you think but may often be written off as it was by posters here as the flu or some other possibility.

I am an ultra sensitive celiac that actually passes out within hours of eating gluten. When I was first diagnosed and I didn't really realize how serious the cc issue was, I ate many mainstream products that were supposedly gluten free. I can tell you that with the exception of a very few items, I passed out everytime, Kraft products included. That's my personal experience.

It's unfortunate that you are super sensitive.

Of course CC will happen. But not all the time, equally, with all products made in a facility that also processes wheat products. That would be just as silly to believe.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#10 LL04

LL04

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:38 PM

It's unfortunate that you are super sensitive.

Of course CC will happen. But not all the time, equally, with all products made in a facility that also processes wheat products. That would be just as silly to believe.

best regards, lm

Yes of course, I didn't mean that every mainstream item would be cross contaminated everytime. I was merely saying that mainstream items can in no way be guaranteed gluten-free and are susceptible to CC. So it would not be unrealistic to discover that someone got glutenized by Kraft BBQ sauce, that's all.
Lauralee
Diagnosed Celiac's March/05
Diagnosed Lyme Disease March/07
2 out of 4 children gluten intolerant
husband not tested
whole family gluten free

If it's not made in a dedicated gluten free environment, it's NOT gluten free...it's "gluten not intentionally added!!!"

#11 Rusla

Rusla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:52 AM

I would like to say that I do not touch the BBQ sauces because a great deal of time they have Barley Malt in them which is a gluten.

I have never been made sick by Kraft and I am so sensitive that miniscule crumbs devastate me. I would definitely suggest calling the company.

Rusla
Rusla

Asthma-1969
wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980
Multiple food, environmental allergies
allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha
Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972
Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease
gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005
Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005
Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

#12 num1habsfan

num1habsfan

Prairie field, possibly the best picture I've taken!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:12 PM

Yeah I must also chime in here that I am scarily sensitive to gluten that sometimes I swear just some particles in the air, or one or 2 crumbs touching that I eat, is enough to trigger a reaction. Even with that fact, I have never, ever had a problem with Kraft. If I buy any bbq sauces or salad dressings, etc I also make sure its made by them and only them.

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...
...26 years old...
...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: