5 replies to this topic

#1 shelland

shelland

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:39 AM

I have been gluten-free for over a year, but I've just started baking gluten-free stuff at home. It's embarrassing, but I've had some super-duper stinky gas a couple of times in the past month... since I've been baking things with gluten-free all purpose flour and using xanthan gum. I'm thinking it's the xanthan gum. Does it make anyone else stink?
Or maybe it's just me... (hiding my head under a rock now...)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lizard00

lizard00

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 01:13 PM

Xanthan gum is a corn derivative, so if you have corn problems, that could be the culprit. You could try guar gum to see if there's any difference. Or maybe it's one of the flours in the mix.
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007
IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive
Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008
Soy free Jan 09

#3 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:53 PM

Xanthan gum is a corn derivative, so if you have corn problems, that could be the culprit. You could try guar gum to see if there's any difference. Or maybe it's one of the flours in the mix.

Yeah, if you're using Bob's Red Mill AP flour, that has bean flour in it. Beans'll do it!
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#4 Mike M

Mike M

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:42 PM

I have been gluten-free for over a year, but I've just started baking gluten-free stuff at home. It's embarrassing, but I've had some super-duper stinky gas a couple of times in the past month... since I've been baking things with gluten-free all purpose flour and using xanthan gum. I'm thinking it's the xanthan gum. Does it make anyone else stink?
Or maybe it's just me... (hiding my head under a rock now...)

Double check and make sure your gluten free flours are coming from a reputable gluten free source that does not have cross contamination issues involved. Your "gas" could be mild glutening symptoms in my opinion. I am extremely sensitive and need to really watch out for cc. I have been doing really well using gluten free Domata cup for cup replacement flour, they are certified gluten free (no Wheat, Rye, Barely or Oats) to less than 5 parts per million.

P.S. If you are wondering what 5 parts per million looks like.....It is like having 999,995 almonds in a bag, with just 5 walnuts mixed in. Not very much........ All the best, Mike

#5 N.Justine

N.Justine

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:56 AM

you could be allergic/sensitive to xantham gum -- many people are actually.

Plus the gums (xantham, guar, etc.) are known to have laxative effects on the body due to their nature of being gums.

use gums, (which are -not- necessary in gluten-free baking), sparingly, especially if you find yourself sensitive to them

#6 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:59 AM

No, it doesn't. Sorry.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: