#1 David

David

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:23 PM

Hey All:

Not sure if it’s been mentioned here before, but I recently contacted Joe’s Crab Shack to see if they had any gluten-free options. I always liked the restaurant before I know I had celiac disease, and figured since they served a lot of fresh seafood, they’d have a lot of options.

Thankfully, they e-mailed me back quickly with several options. Just thought I’d post it here too, as a way of rewarding restaurants who respond to my inquires and have gluten-free options.

I received your inquiry about gluten free items on our menu. Joe’s actually has a great variety of items on the menu that are gluten free. We would recommend the following items:

· Our famous Steampot served with crabs, sausage, butter, corn and potatoes.

· Steamed and garlic crabs served with sides of butter, corn and potatoes.

· Blackened mahi mahi or tilapia served with rice and vegetables.

· Steak and grilled shrimp served with rice or potatoes and vegetables.

· Cobb Salad – without dressing

· Key West Chicken – This is a grilled chicken breast topped with lump crabmeat and jumbo shrimp served with rice and veggies. It is gluten free if the mango jalapeno sauce is not served with the product.

· Sunset Salmon – This is salmon topped with pineapple pico de gallo served with rice and veggies. It is gluten free if the glaze is not basted on the salmon.

· Bucket of Shrimp – Peel and eat shrimp seasoned with Old Bay spice and served with a lemon or cocktail sauce. The cocktail sauce contains distilled vinegar which may or may not be included in your dietary restrictions.

Right now, we are promoting our new steampots, which are all gluten free. They are:

· The Bean Town Bake which is served with 2 whole lobsters, clams, shrimp, corn, potatoes and sausage.

· The Long Islander which is served with mussels, clams, shrimp, sausage, corn and potatoes.

· The Orleans which is very spicy blend of whole crawfish, shrimp, andouille sausage, corn and potatoes.

· The Chesapeake Steam Pot which is rock crab, clams, shrimp, sausage, corn and potatoes seasoned with Old Bay Seasoning.

Thank you so much for contacting us. Please let me know if I can answer and additional questions. We hope to see you at our Long Beach restaurant soon.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ksymonds84

ksymonds84

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:41 PM

Thanks for posting David. My son announced yesterday that he wants to go there next Friday for his birthday and I was wondering what on earth I could eat there since I am also shellfish intolerant. The blackened Mahi Mahi sounds like a winner for me!
Kathy

Gluten free 3/08
Negative blood work/positive endoscopy
Fructose Malabsorption
Soy free

#3 David

David

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:33 PM

Glad the info helped and was timely!!! I should mention I didn't ask about cross-contamination, since so far at least, I don’t think that’s been a huge issue for me…

If you have any additional questions, they were very prompt in responding via their corporate website….The woman from corporate who responded was nice, and she cc’ed the restaurant manager of the location I’d be visiting…. Part of me wants to give you her work e-mail, but I’m not entirely sure if that’s kosher in this public forum… If you think it would be helpful though just reply back here and we’ll think of some way of doing it.

I was just so happy that they responded quickly and had several gluten-free suggestions… I’ve e-mailed a lot of restaurants, and unfortunately not all of them were that helpful, to say the least.

#4 KatieDunn80

KatieDunn80

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:36 AM

Thanks so much for posting this! I couldn't find any helpful info until I found your post. My daughter's softball team is having a party at Joe's and now she doesn't have to feel left out. Everything looks delicious and she'll be happy not to get stuck with a plain burger and broccoli.

Thanks again :D

#5 digmom1014

digmom1014

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:40 PM

Thank you David, I put it in my reference 3 ring binder. (yes, I am the nerd who has this-I have each section tabbed and keep it in my car trunk.)
Sarah

"What comes around, goes around"

#6 David

David

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:38 PM

Hey All:

Glad the info was helpful… I have to say as difficult as Celiac Disease is now, it would have been impossible 20 years ago before the "internets." Being able to swap all of this information on celiac.com is wonderful!!!

Sarah, I have you beat in the "nerd" department… I keep all of my gluten-free info on an Excel spreadsheet…. :) One tab is about brands and manufacturers that clearly declare all forms of gluten, and/or gluten-free foods. Another tab is for gluten-free selections at different restaurants! But come to think of it, I never remember bring the list and is not that helpful when I am out and about without my laptop…. I probably should print it out, put it in a binder and keep it in my car too!! :D

Take care,
David

#7 ksymonds84

ksymonds84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:17 AM

I have to say that for a very busy corporate restaurant (I usually always eat at independents) I was impressed last Friday night. The cook came to my table to discuss my mahi mahi being both gluten and dairy free since they blacken the mahi in butter. He suggested that they bake it. I asked for olive oil but they don't carry it so I had it in canola and was still good because of all the nice blackened spices.
Kathy

Gluten free 3/08
Negative blood work/positive endoscopy
Fructose Malabsorption
Soy free

#8 Elizabeth5220

Elizabeth5220

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:21 PM

Glad to know this!

#9 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,245 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:34 PM

Glad to know this!

Please note these posts are almost 3 years old. You should probably check before you go. Things change.... :(

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: