9 replies to this topic

#1 SpikeMoore

SpikeMoore

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:11 PM

I didn't quite know where to post this question. Just wondering how many people have adopted here, possibly due to gluten induced infertility? I have given up on getting pregnant and have to use the birth control pill to control cysts and endo, but I still want to be a mom and feel that joy of anticipation waiting for a child. Any happy stories out there?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:50 PM

My niece and nephew adopted beautiful twins from Khazakstan (sp?), and couldn't be happier. I also have several friends who adopted from either China or Korea, and their children are wonderful--all very happy families!

The way I see it, there are two kinds of labor in having a child. One is the traditional labor where you spend hours of anguish pushing a baby out of your body, the other is where you fill out reams of paper work, and spend hours of anguish on an airplane or in an airport.

Either way, the result is amazing.

#3 foodiegurl

foodiegurl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:05 PM

I just wanted to let you know, we are seriously considering it too. We have a daughter who will be 4 next week, but I have been too terrified to try and get pregnant again, because of the severe pre-eclampsia and HELLP that I developed with her.

I have an adopted brother from Russia. He is now 12, my dad and step-mom went to Russia to take him home when he was 6 mos old. They love him just like a blood-born son.

I honestly, look forward to the chance to give a child who is already out there a loving home..now I just have to figure out he money.

Good luck, and keep us updated =)
Anne in Chicago
Pescatarian since 2005
Diagnosed by blood test February 2009, biopsy June 2009, at age 36
Gluten-free since 3.16.2009

#4 SGWhiskers

SGWhiskers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for posting this thread. I consider it incredibly relevant.

Like so many of you, I've struggled with my fertility options for years without a baby in my arms. As much as I would like to experience pregnancy, I want motherhood the most. Celiac had almost robbed me of even that dream. I was so tired, I didn't think I could raise a child and my husband didn't think he wanted to do 90% of the parenting with a depressed mother. I'm still recovering and don't think it I'm ready to adopt quite yet. I do think it is in my future again and hope that we find the money in this economic crisis to move forward with that dream.

I hope to see more posts and threads about families who have adopted or are planning adoption. For so many of us, that is the way to a family and I need that inspiration and commoradory.

Good luck to all the families and soon to be families out there.

SGW

#5 nw0528

nw0528

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:26 AM

My husband and I have a wonderful two year old biological son. We are in the process of adopting a baby (girl?) from China. We have waited one year already (that's after six months of paperwork) and have another year to wait. By next year at this time, we should be on our way to China.
Our reasons for adopting aren't due to celiac or infertility. It is something I had wanted to do before I met my husband and he thought it sounded like something he would want to do also. I became pregnant a few months after we married and while my son is incredible and I love being a mom, I can honestly say for the majority of my pregnancy I did not enjoy being pregnant. (I had projectile vomiting for six months and not just in the morning, I was severely anemic and they could not improve that, I developed pre-eclampsia and was on bedrest for over three months.) For me, the complications of my pregnancy just confirmed for me that my desire to adopt a baby is the path for me. I know there are so many women who stuggle to become pregnant and carry to term, and I know I am so very fortunate to have a healthy baby boy. However, I believe my next baby is in China...
Nicole

#6 kellylynn

kellylynn

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 04:58 PM

My husband and I have looked into it. I just learned about the $11,000+ tax credit for adoptions yesterday. That could be a huge factor for us!!

#7 SpikeMoore

SpikeMoore

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:16 PM

We have a similar tax credit here in Canada for adoption fees, something like 10,600. All of our private adoption is open. There is another route as well that is through the public system where children are declared wards of the court usually due to neglect or abuse. Here in Ontario there are no fees for public adoption. International adoption is getting harder and harder as well as more and more expensive. And there are unknown factors with other countries' governtments, ie, things can change at any point...it is a little dis-heartening when you think about all of the children living as orphans in other countries...

#8 nw0528

nw0528

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:34 PM

Keep in mind the federal tax credit for international adoption is set to expire at the end of 2010. No guarantee it will be reimplemented with the current administration.
Nicole

My husband and I have looked into it. I just learned about the $11,000+ tax credit for adoptions yesterday. That could be a huge factor for us!!

#9 kellylynn

kellylynn

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:20 PM

Keep in mind the federal tax credit for international adoption is set to expire at the end of 2010. No guarantee it will be reimplemented with the current administration.
Nicole

That's really great to keep in mind. Thanks!!

#10 terribeth07

terribeth07

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:12 PM

Is that just for adoptions in the US or for international adoptions also?
5 years of sickness & several tests.
Abnormal Gallbladder Diagnosis & removal April 2008.
No official diagnosis from Doctor
Negative to Celiac Blood Panel
Self Diagnosing myself with gluten intolerance July 2009 after going gluten free for 4 weeks & then severe nausea after eating gluten for 2 days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: