This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Lindt Chocolate's Definitive Response Of 2007

Leonesse

Leonesse Rookie

This is cross-posted from another web site and dated Nov. 7, 2007.

I contacted the Lindt company when i couldn't get direct information from them off their web site. Lindt chocolate is not gluten free.

"Thank you for your response. Our products are not Gluten free because we use Barley Malt in all of our cocoa for the chocolate. We need our malt in a certain form and broken down using a specific process to adhere to the Lindt

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient
This is cross-posted from another web site and dated Nov. 7, 2007.

I contacted the Lindt company when i couldn't get direct information from them off their web site. Lindt chocolate is not gluten free.

"Thank you for your response. Our products are not Gluten free because we use Barley Malt in all of our cocoa for the chocolate. We need our malt in a certain form and broken down using a specific process to adhere to the Lindt

brigala Explorer
This is absolutely gross. I have been eating Lindt 70% because it contains no soy and does not list barley malt in its ingredients. "Cocoa solids: 70% minimum. Ingredients: cocoa mass, sugar, cocoa butter, natural Bourbon vanilla beans. May contain traces of, etc., etc.," NO barley malt!! No, it does not say gluten free, but it certainly does not mention barley malt.

Keep in mind that the response from Lindt is from 2007. It's possible that the current 70% bar does not contain malt. I have looked at other Lindt products from time to time (their truffles used to be a favorite of mine) and the labels of the products I've looked at have all clearly stated "barley malt" as an ingredient. I haven't looked at their chocolate bars because I've never really liked them.

I also got a similar response from Lindt when I emailed them back in about 2007 or so. I haven't checked with them again more recently.

-Elizabeth

mushroom Proficient
I haven't looked at their chocolate bars because I've never really liked them.

I don't particularly like them either, but they are chocolate! And this one contains no soy (I think?)--one of the few. I will email them again.

Tallforagirl Rookie
I don't particularly like them either, but they are chocolate! And this one contains no soy (I think?)--one of the few. I will email them again.

I don't think the dark chocolate Lindt contains barley malt. At least here in Australia it doesn't. Don't know about the US, but here in Australia if there is an ingredient in the product it must be labelled as such.

happygirl Collaborator
This is absolutely gross. I have been eating Lindt 70% because it contains no soy and does not list barley malt in its ingredients. "Cocoa solids: 70% minimum. Ingredients: cocoa mass, sugar, cocoa butter, natural Bourbon vanilla beans. May contain traces of, etc., etc.," NO barley malt!! No, it does not say gluten free, but it certainly does not mention barley malt.

Products sold in the USA are probably different than products sold outside of the USA. I would contact the company for specific info regarding where you live.

GFqueen17 Contributor

Many, many products contain gluten and do not say so...thats exactly why we get sick so often. I recently checked Lindt's website and it still had the same statement so I would be careful.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

Lindt hasn't been gluten-free in the U.S. since I was diagnosed 7 years ago. But there are many, many excellent chocolates that are gluten-free.

richard

mushroom Proficient
But there are many, many excellent chocolates that are gluten-free.

richard

That may be true, but 98.8% them contain soy lecithin as an emulsifier! And I just went to buy my Well Naturally chocolate bar, and they have pulled them from the shelf because some lady claimed she got sick from eating them. What's a gal gotta do to get a chocolate fix???

• 2 months later...
mushroom Proficient

Update:

Went to a gluten free expo today; Lindt chocolate was on display and it was confirmed to me (from an official list put out by Lindt) that the 70% dark chocolate we get in New Zealand and OZ is both gluten and soy free (although "may" contain traces of soy, but good enough for me--if it were gluten it would be different since soy just makes me itch). Don't know what you get in the U.S. All the others contained soy however.

I also got some yummy chocolate fudge bars put out by Finn's (NZ).

tarnalberry Community Regular
That may be true, but 98.8% them contain soy lecithin as an emulsifier! And I just went to buy my Well Naturally chocolate bar, and they have pulled them from the shelf because some lady claimed she got sick from eating them. What's a gal gotta do to get a chocolate fix???

Theo Chocolate

Michel Cluizel

Castelain

These three don't have soy lecithin. I've found all of them locally, oddly enough, though it'll likely depend on where you live. They're not cheap, but *good* chocolate isn't. (I've always thought of Lindt as a bit waxy... too much lecithin, perhaps...)

mushroom Proficient
Theo Chocolate

Michel Cluizel

Castelain

These three don't have soy lecithin. I've found all of them locally, oddly enough, though it'll likely depend on where you live. They're not cheap, but *good* chocolate isn't. (I've always thought of Lindt as a bit waxy... too much lecithin, perhaps...)

Hey, thanks for those names; I will file them away in my chocolate connoisseur file for next month. Lately I have just been scrounging around in the dumpster for whatever I can find :lol: :lol:

Mango04 Enthusiast

If you're in New Zealand you should really ignore the US company statements. It's common for seemingly identical products to be completely different in different countries, especially regarding ingredients used and possible gluten. There's a good chance your version is still safe...so worth checking into.

• 6 years later...
DandelionH Apprentice

So nobody in Australia has gotten sick from the 70% or the white then... right? O.o I love those two but have been having some strange continuing issues I'd like to get to the bottom of and am just realising this may be it (I'm a regularly consumer... ha. Regular is an understatement...)!

psawyer Proficient

This is a very old thread, and the information in it is from at least six years ago. It may be out of date, and I would not rely on any of it.

DandelionH Apprentice

This is a very old thread, and the information in it is from at least six years ago. It may be out of date, and I would not rely on any of it.

Yep, I'm only just now realising how regularly people do actually change their brand ingredients or info.
Barley malt isn't listed on the white or 70% in Australia. Since it IS listed on the other chocolates I'll go with it being ok...

• 2 years later...
Brian B Newbie

Open Original Shared Link

Archived