13 replies to this topic

#1 foodiegurl

foodiegurl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:14 PM

With my daughter, I developed severe pre-eclampsia & HELLP at the end of the pregnancy. She is about to turn 4. One thing I have learned since is that many people who develop pre-e have underlying disorders since as blood-clotting disorders or auto-immune issues. I met with a high-risk OB last year to get tested for underlying disorders, and everything came back negative.

Now, 7 months after those tests, I randomly find out I have Celiac. I didn't think I had anything, went in for my physical, mentioned I was having reflux....find out a week later I have Celiac...I was shocked to say the least.

Now that I know pre-e is connected with AI issues, and Celiac is an AI, I am wondering if this is the connection?

Now that I discovered this, I am more terrified than ever to get pregnant again, because now that I know I have an AI that the pre-e/HELLP will come back.

Are there any other on here who have gone through pre-e and/or HELLP?
Anne in Chicago
Pescatarian since 2005
Diagnosed by blood test February 2009, biopsy June 2009, at age 36
Gluten-free since 3.16.2009

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mother of Jibril

Mother of Jibril

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:25 AM

I've been pregnant three times and lost one child (Jibril) at 17 weeks. I never had pre-eclampsia, but I'm positive that my loss was related to undiagnosed hypothyroidism and celiac disease. The tricky thing is that a lot of OB/GYNs have NO CLUE about autoimmune disorders (which is ironic, since pregnancy can be one of the triggers). They think you can run a bunch of tests one time and that gives you all the answers... which is just not true. Disorders like lupus and celiac disease can be very complicated and take years to diagnose!

One book I can recommend is the "The Autoimmune Connection" by Rita Baron-Faust and Jill Buyon. It covers quite a few disorders and how they affect a woman through her lifetime (including fertility and pregnancy). It's definitely in your best interest to educate yourself and be proactive.

The more I learn, the more I think I'm done having kids. Maybe in three or four years my health will be more stable and I'll feel like I can give it another try... it IS a huge risk. Not just to the baby, but to my own health too :( If you stay on the gluten-free diet, celiac disease shouldn't complicate any future pregnancies. The problem is that AI disorders tend to cluster together... and you never know when a new one is going to rear it's ugly head.
Gluten free 08/08
Son has IgE allergies to peanuts and corn
Hashimoto's, MCAD, pregnancy loss at 17 weeks
HLA-DQB1*0302 (celiac), HLA-DQB1*0301 (gluten sensitive)
Serological equivalent 3,3 (subtype 8,7)
Extensive family history of autoimmune disorders and related symptoms

#3 rinne

rinne

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:33 AM

I had pre-eclampsia, this was many years ago, and no one ever talked to me about anything related to it. I was very ill and hospitalized for it.
A family with Celiac disease, two brothers and two sisters.

Lyme Disease, Diagnosis October 19, 2006

May 2006 - December 2008 Gluten and Dairy Free

December 2008, while seeing improvement on the gluten free diet, I did not recover and so in December of 2008 began the SCD and now have hope for recovery.

#4 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:19 AM

I had pre-eclampsia with my first child, who then was IUGR.

I also had hyperemesis with all three complete pregnancies (1 miscarriage). I was under the care of a high-risk OBGYN for all 3 pregnancies because of Hashimoto's (had had for 10 years). With the second and third, I consented to take medication for the hyperemesis, although about 1/4 the recommended dose.

With my second and third pregnancies, I did NOT have pre-eclampsia. I wasn't gluten-free (had never heard of gluten) until my youngest was 4, but I was instinctively gluten-lite for all pregnancies (lots and lots of fruit, eggs,veggies, and rice--that's what stayed down, imagine that!) But the stupid doctors kept telling me to eat crackers so I would have something in my stomach...

Hope that helps!

#5 foodiegurl

foodiegurl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:28 AM

thank you.

My daughter also had IUGR..she was born at 39 weeks, but only weighed 4 lbs, 8 oz. thankfully, she was perfectly healthy, just small =)
Anne in Chicago
Pescatarian since 2005

#6 Becky6

Becky6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:25 PM

I had pre-e and HELLP syndrome with my daughter and she was born at 33 weeks weighing only 2 lbs 12oz. I did not know that I had Celiac at that time. I was scared to death once I was pregnant again this time. All of my tests also came back negative for under lying disorders. I am now 34 weeks and so far so good! BP is behaving itself! I do have GD this time but I will take that over the pre-e and HELLP! My mfm said it def could be the AI that had caused it.

#7 Mysh

Mysh

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:50 AM

I have 3 children and the pre-eclampsia has gotten worse with each pregnancy. I delivered my first 2 children (now aged 18 & 17) at 39 weeks. My last child (aged 5 ) was born at 29 weeks weighing 958 grams. Both of us were at deaths door. He was IUGR and required 11 weeks in a NICU.

I think the reason my first 2 pregnancies were able to last so long was that my then DH was an IBS sufferer and we didnt eat a lot of gluten products. I was almost 15 yrs older with my last pregnancy and had been sick for years before hand with what I suspect were many miscarriages.

I belong to a pre-eclampsia survivor forum and a lot of the women there suffer from infertility and well as delivering pre term. Many have lost children.
~Michelle~
Mother to 3 wonderful children. :)
Diagnosed Celiac through bloodwork January 2009. Celiac confirmed through Biopsy August 2009.

Current symptoms include extreme lethargy, headaches, anaemia, severe joint pain, upset stomach, swollen lymph nodes, brain fog and shortness of breath. I have also had all my teeth crowned due to enamel erosion.

DS - Age 19 -diagnosed PDD-NOS. Not willing to be tested as yet.
DD - Age 17 - Negative IGA. Positive HLA DQ2 & HLA DQ5. Not gluten-free outside of home.
DS - Age 6 - diagnosed with ASD. Tested negative to blood tests. Still needs gene testing done. Born 11 weeks early due to severe IUGR.

All pregnancies have been pre-eclamptic.

#8 nw0528

nw0528

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:33 PM

I am recently diagnosed celiac disease. I had pre-eclampsia with my son (first and only pregnancy) three years ago. The ONLY symptom I had was a very high protein level in my urine. I went on bedrest at 28 weeks with my doctors hoping I would make it to 30 or 32 weeks. I made it to one week PAST my due date and delivered a totally healthy 8 pounds, 14 ounce baby boy. Six weeks after delivery, zero protein in my urine.
My OB/GYN indicated there is about a 5% chance of any woman developing pre-eclampsia. But, now that I have had it with one pregnancy, he said there was a very high likelihoood of having it again. (I'm thinking he said 50% or closer to 75% but I could be wrong.). I'm not willing to risk it with regards to another pregnancy. We are adopting a baby girl from China (should travel next year at this time).
I had no idea there was even a possibility of preeclampsia and celiac disease having any kind of potential connection.
Thank you for starting this thread. I'm fascinated!
Nicole

[quote name='Mysh' date='Mar 11 2009, 02:50 AM' post='516766']
I have 3 children and the pre-eclampsia has gotten worse with each pregnancy.

#9 foodiegurl

foodiegurl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:12 AM

I am recently diagnosed celiac disease. I had pre-eclampsia with my son (first and only pregnancy) three years ago. The ONLY symptom I had was a very high protein level in my urine. I went on bedrest at 28 weeks with my doctors hoping I would make it to 30 or 32 weeks. I made it to one week PAST my due date and delivered a totally healthy 8 pounds, 14 ounce baby boy. Six weeks after delivery, zero protein in my urine.
My OB/GYN indicated there is about a 5% chance of any woman developing pre-eclampsia. But, now that I have had it with one pregnancy, he said there was a very high likelihoood of having it again. (I'm thinking he said 50% or closer to 75% but I could be wrong.). I'm not willing to risk it with regards to another pregnancy. We are adopting a baby girl from China (should travel next year at this time).
I had no idea there was even a possibility of preeclampsia and celiac disease having any kind of potential connection.
Thank you for starting this thread. I'm fascinated!
Nicole

Nicole, i am in the same boat. I have already gotten info on Chinese adoption, but have to start the paperwork. I would love to hear about your experience. How long ago did you submit paperwork?

Also, did you have to tell them you have Celiac...I know they want to know some very detailed medical info from the parents. So, i wonder..if we don't get the biopsy then we are not "diagnosed", would that make a difference?

Good luck!!!
Anne in Chicago
Pescatarian since 2005

#10 nw0528

nw0528

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:28 PM

Yes, they do have very specific medical info. they want. Your doctor has to say that you do not have any medical issues that would negatively impact your ability to parent. You are already a parent, right! I do agree that if you have not had a biopsy, then you do not have a true diagnosis which would need to be documented on the paperwork. And, even if you did, we are talking about a food intolerance here...
I emailed you privately as our experience is different than most because my husband is Chinese. We have a "shorter" wait (2 years, vs. 3-5 if he were not Chinese).
Nicole

Nicole, i am in the same boat. I have already gotten info on Chinese adoption, but have to start the paperwork. I would love to hear about your experience. How long ago did you submit paperwork?

Also, did you have to tell them you have Celiac...I know they want to know some very detailed medical info from the parents. So, i wonder..if we don't get the biopsy then we are not "diagnosed", would that make a difference?

Good luck!!!

#11 Tara32

Tara32

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:49 AM

I went through the same thing with both of my girls. I was diagnosed with Celiac one year ago. I have had it for over 10 years and I thank God that I didn"t have any miscariages. I did not have the classic symtoms of Celiac. I was always iron defficient most of my life. When I was pregnant with my first daughter, six years ago, I was taking four iron pills a day and it did not help. I had pre-e at the end and i was induced. When I was preganant with my second, I developed high blood pressure and pre-e alot sooner, but i carried to full term. The only difference was that my second weighed only 5'14 compared to my first at 8'3. My second was also a twin that I lost in the very beginning. I truly believe that if I would have been diagnosed with Celiac before my preganancies, I would have not had thepre-e. I had a tubal done after my second because I was afraid to get pregnant again. Now that we know what was wrong, I wish that I could have tried one more time. If someone thinks they have Celiac, just ask your doc for the simple bloodtest needed to diagnose it, even if they fight you on it. If I would have known about Celiac, I would have prevented alot of damage to my body. Hope this helps and God bless!!
[/quote]

#12 Buendia

Buendia

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:38 PM

Hi,

Thought I'd add my experience: I developed HELLP syndrome and my daughter was born at 34 weeks (4 lb). This was before I was diagnosed as celiac... I am not a doctor, but have been reading up on possible connections. My daughter is now 4 and she's amazing. I'm gluten free and feel great. So all in all a great outcome!

#13 foodiegurl

foodiegurl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:32 PM

Hi,

Thought I'd add my experience: I developed HELLP syndrome and my daughter was born at 34 weeks (4 lb). This was before I was diagnosed as celiac... I am not a doctor, but have been reading up on possible connections. My daughter is now 4 and she's amazing. I'm gluten free and feel great. So all in all a great outcome!

So Buendia,

i am just curious, being that you have also been through HELLP...are you planning to go for it again?

I am still on the fence.
Anne in Chicago
Pescatarian since 2005

#14 CJ_hello

CJ_hello

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:49 PM

So Buendia,

i am just curious, being that you have also been through HELLP...are you planning to go for it again?

I am still on the fence.

Hi Anne,
I'm sorry to hijack this conversation, but I think I may have Celiac after a long web search and thinking and trying things. I finally searched "celiac" and "pre-eclampsia" and go this thread. Post after post said "HELLP" and "pre-e." I'm a HELLP survivor in my first pregnancy and my second was a mess, but no HELLP, thankfully.

Interestingly, I gained so much water weight while pregnant that neither baby got very big and even though I looked like I was gaining (rapidly some months), I was really swelling. I haven't been diagnosed with an AI issue, but I'm really wondering if celiac is the underlying issue.

After HELLP, I moved, so I had to get a new OB-GYN. I found one who specialized in high-risk pregnancies, so she was not phased by much. She was obessive compulsive and had me testing constantly. I could tell you my BP and platelet counts almost from 20 weeks on.

I developed HELLP at the end of my first pregnancy, so research shows that if you do get it again (and nothing says you will), you get it at the same time or later during the next pregnancy. So, I delivered early and avoided it. Platelets weren't that great anyway and I was starting to spill protein into my urine.

It's really a hard decision to make after HELLP. I went in with so much more knowledge and awareness. Good luck with your decision!

I can't wait to explore the rest of the board. I feel like I've found people who understand my weird stomach and reading all these Pre-E and HELLP stories just makes so much sense.

CJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: