This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Iron Pills

KarenFe

KarenFe Contributor

I know I need to build my iron back up. My blood test revealed a reading of 9.6 and, as I understand it, it should be around 12.5 or 13. I just started taking a gluten-free multivitamin with iron. The amount of iron for the rda is 100%. Will this be enough to get my iron back up if I stick to a gluten-free diet? I have looked for gluten-free iron pills but have not found any.

Off to take a nap at 11:00 in the morning because I'm tired.

Karen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

I used SlowFe for a while. They work great. Never bothered to check the gluten status, but I don't recall any reactions.

disneyfan Apprentice
I know I need to build my iron back up. My blood test revealed a reading of 9.6 and, as I understand it, it should be around 12.5 or 13. I just started taking a gluten-free multivitamin with iron. The amount of iron for the rda is 100%. Will this be enough to get my iron back up if I stick to a gluten-free diet? I have looked for gluten-free iron pills but have not found any.

Off to take a nap at 11:00 in the morning because I'm tired.

Karen

Nature Made has an Iron supplement (65mg Ferrous Sulfate) that is gluten free. It is stated on the label.

Before you take any additional iron than what is in the multi, I would check with your Dr to make sure you need the added iron. Too much iron is not good. I have taken extra iron for years due to anemia before going gluten free. Now my levels are good but I still take the iron a few times a week just to keep it stable. Good luck!

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

I took Vitron C. It never had any of the usual side effects. Sadly, I never could get mine up with oral supplements over two years them. Watch your MCV on your blood work. My hematologist said this is the best indicator of stored iron.

You know not to take your iron with dairy or fiber, right? It will reduce your absorption.

Green Eyes Rookie

I to had low iron counts and the doctor put me on ferrous sulfate along with a multi-vitamin. The fs is suppose to be better and less upset stomach. I take it daily and have not had any issues!!!

Jennifer

• 3 weeks later...
MarisaB Newbie

I too have low iron levels and my Dr suggested that I take ferrous sulfate 325 mg 3x a day.

Slow Fe is gluten free, however, Fesol contains gluten. Check ingredients before using.

Wonka Apprentice

I haven't found an iron supplement with gluten. I'm unable to tolerate any iron supplements(all give me bloating and severe nausea) with the exception of Floravit (this is a yeast and gluten free liquid, it works slower than the other supplements but my anemia is resolved and I'm just working on getting my ferritin levels up). Watch out though, this company, Salus, also make a gluten version called Floradix.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bear6954 Apprentice

I gave my son iron supplements at first, then I switched to cooking all food in cast iron. He has not had a problem since.

curiousgeorge Rookie

I've tried ALL of these things and ended up having injections.

RiceGuy Collaborator

Just found this very informative article on iron, and its various forms:

Open Original Shared Link

gfwb Newbie

I agree that you should check with your doctor before adding an iron supplement. My doctor put me on 325 mg of Ferrous Sulfate. I buy the Rugby Natural. They have them at CVS, but you have to go up to the pharmacist. You don't need a prescription, but they don't keep them on the shelves.

trents Grand Master

Iron is best absorbed in an acidic environment and it binds with many foods like things that are calcium rich, egg yokes, and tannins (coffee, tea) so that these foods render it ineffective as a supplement. I take a 65mg ferrous sulfate tab between meals to avoid this and take the iron with a vitamin C tablet to create an acidic environment. I tolerate it well, i.e., it doesn't upset my tummy but many people cold not take it on an empty stomach like I do.

• 3 months later...
bpw101 Newbie
I agree that you should check with your doctor before adding an iron supplement. My doctor put me on 325 mg of Ferrous Sulfate. I buy the Rugby Natural. They have them at CVS, but you have to go up to the pharmacist. You don't need a prescription, but they don't keep them on the shelves.

Thanks gfwb. Your post was exactly the information I was looking for: brand, dosage and pharmacy. I had just picked them up at CVS (after trying for over a week) but wanted to double check that they were gluten-free. Thank you!

I'd intended to include a story, but too long. The point of the story to new comers (like me) is you have to double check and ask the pharmacist to confirm. The folks at CVS tied to be very helpful, but only one or two of the five or six people I dealt with over the last week really understood my issue. Ultimately, my experience was exactly as gfwb wrote, they keep this brand behind the counter in the pharmacy (and although non-prescription, you have to request it.

tarnalberry Community Regular

you'll definitely want to confirm iron dosage with your doctor, and not base it on anyone else's dosing. iron overload can be quite dangerous (damages organs in the long term), and you should be monitored to make sure your iron is going up.

Archived