This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What's For Dinner?

KarenFe

KarenFe Contributor

I am unsure on what to make for dinners now that they need to be gluten-free. I like to cook from scratch and like using veggies so I know it shouldn't be too hard, but I feel overwhelmed - like a deer in the headlights. Is there a single blog (or cookbook) that can help me decide what to serve me and my family? My family will have to go gluten-free with me for the most part because I don't plan on making 2 dinners. I guess what I need is a one stop shop with good recipes to help me get started at first. After I adjust I'm sure I will venture out.

Thanks!

Karen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

stolly Collaborator

Welcome Karen,

What kinds of meals have you and your family been eating prior to your diagnosis? That might help guide us with the suggestions.

-Here is a great website for crockpot recipes Open Original Shared Link but if you prefer not to use a crockpot, the recipes can easily be converted to stove top or in the oven. The author's daughter has celiac, so most recipes are gluten free.

Other ideas...

-Baked/broiled/pan-seared chicken/fish/pork served with veggies and maybe rice/potatoes.

-gluten-free pasta (we like Tinkyada and Trader Joe's the best) with sauce, can add shredded chicken, ground beef, shrimp. Veggies or salad on the side.

-Pot roast with potatoes and carrots; we use the recipe on the back of the Lipton soup mix and add peas and mushrooms; can be done in crockpot or in the oven.

-Baked/fried chicken breaded in crushed (I prefer in the food processor) tortilla chips or Rice Chex.

Holly

sbj Rookie
I am unsure on what to make for dinners now that they need to be gluten-free.

Why not start out with the same old recipes you've been using before going gluten-free? You can adjust any that use gluten with a little help from your friends here. Remember that out of the 6 basic food groups (?) you're only cutting out part of one - that still leaves a whole bunch to work with! Go ahead and test the folks here with any old recipe - you might be surprised at how easy it is to make a gluten-free version. Sure you're going to miss some foods, but try to focus on all of the things that you still can eat and stay positive.

lizard00 Enthusiast

You've gotten some great ideas already, but thought I'd give you another one.

This is one of my favorites:

Open Original Shared Link

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

Here's what we had so far this week:

Monday-tacos with corn tortillas

Tues-Chicken veggie stir fry and rice

Wed-potato, spinach, corn soup

The only specially gluten-free product I've used this week is soy sauce in the stir-fry. Everything else has come from the regular market. I think the advice to sit down and think of what you ate before is very good. Unless you were eating pasta three times a week, you should be able to adapt pretty easy.

Somebody on here, RissaRoo?, used to post weekly meal plans that were very good.

purple Community Regular

We now eat sir fry often. Chicken, minute rice or precooked long grain rice, fresh or frozen veggies, Bragg's liquis aminos for the soy sauce, sometimes cashews. Very fast. You can also use a variety of sauces like sweet and sour, teriyaki or sweet chili sauce.

Chili on potatoes or burritos and fresh veggies on top.

Tacos/nachos or enchiladas made lots of ways-chicken, ground beef or turkey, black beans or refried beans- then add lots of fresh veggies.

Lasagna, chicken alfredo, chicken and rice, bean with bacon soup in the crock pot, taquitos, southwestern chicken chili...

is my first favorite site, the rotel chicken enchiladas and the brownies from there I make often

larry mac Enthusiast
Here's what we had so far this week:

Monday-tacos with corn tortillas

Tues-Chicken veggie stir fry and rice

Wed-potato, spinach, corn soup

Hey TM,

I've heard of potato and corn soup (and/or chowder), but not with spinach. I love all three things, and that really sounds interesting. Would you mind please sharing your recipe? Thanks.

best regards, lm

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TrillumHunter Enthusiast
Hey TM,

I've heard of potato and corn soup (and/or chowder), but not with spinach. I love all three things, and that really sounds interesting. Would you mind please sharing your recipe? Thanks.

best regards, lm

Really, it's a make-do, budget stretcher recipe. I take leftover potato soup and add corn (frozen or canned), spinach (frozen or fresh), and some more cooked, diced potato. I add as much chicken stock or milk as it takes to make it soup and that's it. Sometimes I add cheese or sour cream and spices. Dill is very good with this mix. Soup is my leftover rescuer. My kids and husband lap it up with no complaints. :D

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

Make that list - you'll be surprised how much of your old meals can still be made with little to no changes. I'm sure the old timers on here get tired of reading this, but it was a life saver for me. I made a list (in Excel for me, but paper and pen would work fine) of all the things I knew how to make (scary that it really didn't take all that long to make!). I broke it down by main course, side dish, veggies, desserts, breakfast, lunch and snack. Then I went through and thought about whether or not it was still doable.

This helped me so much in the beginning because I really needed the visual aid to see that there were lots of options. I still add to it and we use it when we're feeling like we've been in a rut of the same old same old. It also helps me so much with whole day meal planning. Roast on Sunday become stew for lunch on Monday or stew on the night we need something quick (make the stew when you're cleaning up from the roast night). When we have rice as a side dish I make extra and turn it into fried rice for the next day (lunch or dinner). Having it in black and white in front of me helps the whole family pick meals, helps me with leftover planning, and helps me make my grocery list.

At first I had to stick with what I already knew but then after a few months I started collecting cookbooks and recipes online (once my cooking skills improved).

irish daveyboy Community Regular
I am unsure on what to make for dinners now that they need to be gluten-free. I like to cook from scratch and like using veggies so I know it shouldn't be too hard, but I feel overwhelmed - like a deer in the headlights. Is there a single blog (or cookbook) that can help me decide what to serve me and my family? My family will have to go gluten-free with me for the most part because I don't plan on making 2 dinners. I guess what I need is a one stop shop with good recipes to help me get started at first. After I adjust I'm sure I will venture out.

Thanks!

Karen

Hi Karen,

Check this Thread out there's plenty of Veggie options here.

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=55846

Best Regards,

David

KarenFe Contributor

Thanks for the replies! What do we normally eat? That's a good question. I try to reduce meats to having it occasionally. Once or twice a week we will have a chicken meal and a beef meal. I also like to make lentil, split pea, or bean soups (but now discover I have a low allergy to beans). Lentils and split peas don't fit into the bean category, do they? I do like to make spaghetti or have pizza a time or two each month. I'm a big fan of transforming leftovers into a new dinner the following night. Chili, I like chili....... I'll have to keep thinking on this.

sbj Rookie
Thanks for the replies! What do we normally eat? That's a good question. I try to reduce meats to having it occasionally. Once or twice a week we will have a chicken meal and a beef meal. I also like to make lentil, split pea, or bean soups (but now discover I have a low allergy to beans). Lentils and split peas don't fit into the bean category, do they? I do like to make spaghetti or have pizza a time or two each month. I'm a big fan of transforming leftovers into a new dinner the following night. Chili, I like chili....... I'll have to keep thinking on this.

I'm fairly sure that beans, peas and lentils are all legumes! Spaghetti should be an easy enough swap - just replace wheat flour based pasta with rice/corn/quinoa based pasta. Sorry to say that I personally haven't found a good pizza substitute yet but I've seen others on this forum swear by certain recipes. Chili is easy - probably no changes to make at all. Roast chicken and beef shouldn't require modifications. For bite size fried chicken I toss with cornstarch. I like to use sweet rice flour as a thickener for gravies - you might try cornstarch.

It's not so bad - you can still eat almost everything.

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

Oh, I remembered something we had last week that was so yummy and no work at all.

Baked rice and lentils

1 c brown rice

1/2 c lentils

some curry powder add to taste I would say a teaspoon or more

small can coconut milk 3oz I think the size of a tomato paste can

handful of broken up cashews

2 1/3 cup boiling water

Throw this all together in a glass dish with a cover and bake for an hour at 375.

I only use recipes for guidelines. The amount and type of rice and beans is flexible. The beans would have to be quick cooking or precooked. I let mine go about an hour and half by accident and it make this really yummy rice crust on the outside. I'm going to try this with basmati rice, canned kidney beans, taco seasoning and tomatoes next. I think the possibilities are endless!

missy'smom Collaborator

I make bone-in, skin-on, roasted chicken breasts often and roast an extra one for use on a salad, in a soup or casserole the next day. Season the breasts with your favorite seasoning or herb butter. I often cook rice and cook chopped broccoli with the rice. When it's done, add the leftover cut up cooked chicken, shredded cheddar cheese and salt and pepper, sometimes frozen corn. I also use hot dogs or ham instead of the chicken. My son takes this for lunch quite often.

Use General Mills Rice Chex cereal processed in the food processor or blender for crumbs in meatball or meatloaf recipes.

purple Community Regular
I'm fairly sure that beans, peas and lentils are all legumes! Spaghetti should be an easy enough swap - just replace wheat flour based pasta with rice/corn/quinoa based pasta. Sorry to say that I personally haven't found a good pizza substitute yet but I've seen others on this forum swear by certain recipes. Chili is easy - probably no changes to make at all. Roast chicken and beef shouldn't require modifications. For bite size fried chicken I toss with cornstarch. I like to use sweet rice flour as a thickener for gravies - you might try cornstarch.

It's not so bad - you can still eat almost everything.

Speaking of chili, some brands of canned chili or chili beans have wheat flour and my package of chili seasoning had it too, so now I make my own.

sbj Rookie
Speaking of chili, some brands of canned chili or chili beans have wheat flour and my package of chili seasoning had it too, so now I make my own.

Some canned chilis even use oatmeal (as thickener I presume)! I sometimes used instant mashed potato flakes to thicken my chili but now I start off with less liquid and just simmer a bit longer to thicken it up. Chili with beans is so easy to make (I just use chili powder, cumin, oregano, red pepper flakes instead of chili seasoning mix) that it's a shame to spend over $2/can to get it in the store. I try to always make my own now unless I can find a gluten-free can on sale. Chili with beans can be a very healthy, lean protein, low fat meal and it's easy to throw a few extra vegetables in there so that even picky eaters don't notice what they're eating.

Someday I'm going to make a real authentic chili con carne without beans and using real dried peppers . . .

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

When I first went gluten-free I started my dinner plans with 1 meat, 2 veggies and a salad. Then I realized I could put more on the veggies than butter and cheese. I could make a cream sauce using a gluten-free thickener (I use corn starch). Now I just take a regualar recipe and adjust it. There isn't anything you can't find on the internet (maybe a good phyllo dough).

Today I'm making Chicken Spaghetti from iamvickie's blog. I'm using a special recipe to make canned Cream of Chicken soup! Really just a thick cream sauce with veggies and chicken blended into it. I'll freeze half of it for another recipe. I'm using gluten-free pasta. So no problem.

canned cream of chicken soup

purple Community Regular
When I first went gluten-free I started my dinner plans with 1 meat, 2 veggies and a salad. Then I realized I could put more on the veggies than butter and cheese. I could make a cream sauce using a gluten-free thickener (I use corn starch). Now I just take a regualar recipe and adjust it. There isn't anything you can't find on the internet (maybe a good phyllo dough).

Today I'm making Chicken Spaghetti from iamvickie's blog. I'm using a special recipe to make canned Cream of Chicken soup! Really just a thick cream sauce with veggies and chicken blended into it. I'll freeze half of it for another recipe. I'm using gluten-free pasta. So no problem.

canned cream of chicken soup

Don't you just love recipezaar? My cooking changed alot, learning how to cook gluten-free and zaars tips are great to read for lots of info on howtooos!!!

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Chicken Spaghetti Review

This is wonderful! My dh who thinks green peppers are too spicy was not happy when I asked him to pick up a can of Rotel for this recipe. He ate two huge helpings. We loved this.

The "canned cream of chicken" soup recipe is also fabulous. I made enough to freeze for more recipes. I'm going to use one for cream of mushroom soup (just fry up lots of fresh mushrooms to add). It was a keeper recipe.

SacGFGirl Explorer

I would highly recommend Carol Fenster's 1,000 gluten-free recipes, as it is currently my favorite cookbook. I also read on and saw you like chili, for which I have an awesome recipe. You should check out my blog for the chili recipe and other fabulous recipes I've posted, as well as suggestions on mixes/gluten-free products that could make your life easier. Good luck.

Thanks!

Karen

Carol Farmholtz Newbie

Lots of recipes for meals suitable for the whole family (gluten-free or not).....all made from ingredients available at regular grocery stores.

purple Community Regular

Lots of recipes for meals suitable for the whole family (gluten-free or not).....all made from ingredients available at regular grocery stores.

I skimmed thru most of the recipes. What a great/simple/delicious bunch of recipes and pictures. Thanks for posting!

nasalady Contributor
Somebody on here, RissaRoo?, used to post weekly meal plans that were very good.

RissaRoo's blog still has a lot of archived gluten free weekly menu plans although she hasn't posted them regularly of late:

Has anybody mentioned Stephanie's Crockpot site and Karina's Gluten Free Goddess site?

Both of which are wonderful! There are several other's that I like, but here's another favorite:

I've only been gluten free since November, and I started a blog to post my weekly menu plans (helps me to be organized) and miscellaneous information about celiac disease and gluten free living, with a companion site where I've started to post all the gluten free recipes that my family likes (this way I won't lose them):

lobita Apprentice

Totally agree about Recipezaar. It's great.

I've found that once you get used to using alternative flours to wheat, really anything can be recreated gluten-free (except for doughy, fluffy white bread, I haven't yet created an equal substitute for wheat bread, and it's driving me nuts).

Last night I used Recipezaar to find out how to cook mahi mahi (something I've never made before). I found a great sauce and just subsituted rice flour for the wheat flour to thicken the sauce. That was the only thing I changed and it was fab. Then for the sides did spinach and rice...super good.

As far as the substituting some kind of canned cream of _ soup, the best is just to melt butter and add rice flour and salt to make the roux, then toss in the milk or cream or broth or whatever. It's not really that much harder; it's the way everybody used to cook before Campbell's started pushing their soup onto everybody.

Archived