arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Glutenings Worse After Going gluten-free?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 foodiegurl

foodiegurl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:59 AM

I am newly diagnosed, and have not yet gone fully gluten-free. Pretty much, and then after my daughter's bday next week, I will do it fully. I don't question the need to do it, I know it has to be done. But my question is this....after reading so much on here, one huge fear I have is, that I will feel worse after I go gluten-free when I come in contact with gluten.

Right now, I don't really have any symptoms...some gas and constipation, which I have always had, but I assume it is from celiac now. So, when I am completely gluten-free, and I accidentally come in contact or have CC, am I going to have a massive reaction, even though I have never had one before? Is it going to actually make me feel worse? Am I setting myself up to have a huge immune reaction?

My sister discovered she was allergic to wheat a year ago. Before that she had no symptoms. Now, when she does come in contact with it, on accident, she feels horrible for hours.

This really scares me. Especially since now, I am don't feel like that :(
Anne in Chicago
Pescatarian since 2005
Diagnosed by blood test February 2009, biopsy June 2009, at age 36
Gluten-free since 3.16.2009

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 MELINE

MELINE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:47 AM

I am newly diagnosed, and have not yet gone fully gluten-free. Pretty much, and then after my daughter's bday next week, I will do it fully. I don't question the need to do it, I know it has to be done. But my question is this....after reading so much on here, one huge fear I have is, that I will feel worse after I go gluten-free when I come in contact with gluten.

Right now, I don't really have any symptoms...some gas and constipation, which I have always had, but I assume it is from celiac now. So, when I am completely gluten-free, and I accidentally come in contact or have CC, am I going to have a massive reaction, even though I have never had one before? Is it going to actually make me feel worse? Am I setting myself up to have a huge immune reaction?

My sister discovered she was allergic to wheat a year ago. Before that she had no symptoms. Now, when she does come in contact with it, on accident, she feels horrible for hours.

This really scares me. Especially since now, I am don't feel like that :(

Hello and welcome!

Good for you that you realize the need to go gluten free! You'll see that things get easier as time goes by.

It is a fact that when you go gluten free then you become very sensitive to gluten. But take it as a good thing. You will always be sure that you are / or aren't glutened. Otherwise, you would still get gluten from hidden sources - and you would still damage yourself without knowing it. Especially in the beginning it is very common to get cross contamination or get hidden gluten.

So take it as a wise way that your body has in order to warn you!

Meline
Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Candida overgrowth / started treatment November 2008

#3 sbj

sbj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:44 AM

after reading so much on here, one huge fear I have is, that I will feel worse after I go gluten-free when I come in contact with gluten . . . when I am completely gluten-free, and I accidentally come in contact or have CC, am I going to have a massive reaction, even though I have never had one before? . . . This really scares me. Especially since now, I am don't feel like that :(

I think someone once posted a study here that showed that for some people your reactions to gluten do become more violent after you go gluten free. Several others here have said the same thing. However, I can relate my personal experience which is different. I never had any symptoms before diagnosis, and I still have no symptoms after going gluten free for several months (I made a boo-boo and had some chili cheese Fritos but suffered no ill effects). BTW, after my diagnosis my gastro demanded that I go gluten free immediately and would not permit me to wait for even one day.

#4 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:55 PM

About a year after going gluten-free, I scarfed down a huge hunk of homemade bread I'd made and missed so terribly. NOTHING HAPPENED. I had these awesome dreams of "planning" a cheat... maybe once a month... and was making a list of all the foods I might have! I didn't do the once a month cheat... and now I wouldn't knowingly put gluten in my mouth for all the $$ in the world. THAT'S how sensitve I became.
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#5 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:59 PM

My reactions are immediate, but quite mild. Not everyone's reactions get worse.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: