Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Dapsone

4 posts in this topic

Why is it that the doctors dont want to try me on dapsone, i had Celiac confirmed by biopsy and continue to get sores( blisters) on my back often, i ask the doc to try me on this but he said he dont know enough about dapsone ( MY MD), what do i have to do to get them to try this???

Ads by Google:

Have you had a biopsy done on the blisters to see if it is DH? Some doctors I think require that even if you have been diagnosed with celiac disease. I don't know why he would do that though I mean it sounds likeDH so much to me and you are a celiac to me its a nobrainer. Have you had a second opinion? And does your doctor know alot about celiac?

Hi,

Dapsone has a lot of side effects. Docs don't like to prescribe it because of that. If they do it is only for a very limited time.

Dapsone CAN have side effects but the most serious ones are extremely rare and are easy to monitor. They are also reversible. I took dapsone for more than 20 years and my father took it for 30 years with no appreciable side effects. Going gluten-free is better, mind you, but I didn't know the celiac disease connection until I got real sick. I see no reason for a doctor to refuse to prescribe dapsone until the diet takes effect.

richard